Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

12 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

The LF's plot line was one of the most poorly written and executed.

Back in 1928 critic Van Dine wrote "20 Rules For Writing Detective Stories". Many of them could be applied to other genres of fiction to some extension. The first of them states: "The reader must have equal opportunity with the detective for solving the mystery." 

Another one is: "The culprit must be determined by logical deductions — not by accident or coincidence or unmotivated confession."

Exposing LF is almost a classic crime story. In order to find out the truth one (in this case Arya and Sansa) has to put together all the information they know and gather evidence. The main difference is that audience knows who is the murderer but the characters have to put it all together. Solving this mystery with the help of some magical power and off-screen random revelations is just a lazy writing, breaking all laws of fiction.

It really, really, really should have been Sansa who uncovers him in the end. The student becomes the teacher, outwits her mentor and defeats him - it's a classic story. Instead, Sansa more or less just starts ignoring LF, and later has her sister kill him when her omniscient brother tells him what a stinker he is. 

And to make matters worse, the trial scene just emphasized how friendless LF was in that room. Everyone was prepared to believe hearsay and rumour to condemn LF to death, but that just means that they were already on the Stark side (entirely reasonable) so Sansa didn't need to be clever or outwit LF at all. She could have just had his head chopped off on a whim and no one would give a shit.

So why was LF even there? He was doing nothing in Winterfell, with no one on his side, no cards to play and no plan to enact. This was satisfying?

34 minutes ago, TheCasualObserver said:

So why was LF even there? He was doing nothing in Winterfell, with no one on his side, no cards to play and no plan to enact. This was satisfying?

There's more: as soon as Bran pronounced the words "Chaos is a ladder", Littlefinger should have been in "maximum alert" condition, all antennas deployed, working on a quick escape plan…

Wait wait wait 

The wall keeps the dead baddies out right? Hence why Benjen can't cross it. So what's up with that dead guy that almost killed mormont as well as the dead guy they brought to show cersei? 

Are only white walkers not able to pass? Anyone know the actual rules regarding the wall (in show)? 

52 minutes ago, MrJay said:

Wait wait wait 

The wall keeps the dead baddies out right? Hence why Benjen can't cross it. So what's up with that dead guy that almost killed mormont as well as the dead guy they brought to show cersei? 

Are only white walkers not able to pass? Anyone know the actual rules regarding the wall (in show)? 

The show does not know the rules regarding wights, White Walkers, and the Night King in relation to the wall. As no one really discussed the magic within the Wall and its effects (i forget did we get the weeping door at the night fort on the show?) nor even jon's proper arc as lord commander of the wall it just became a prop. 

I am sure some of us pictured a pitched battle at the wall before it came crumbling down not WW Viserion strafing run with ice fire bringing it down like it was a snow cone. Bran the Builder would be appalled at the ease with which the wall fell.

On 9/6/2017 at 6:51 AM, Pearly said:

I agree with you completely. I've been wondering (since the very beginning) at the needless changes that were introduced in the show. What was the whole point of Ros? Was there any point apart from 'tits'? They've always been sensationalists and more concerned with shocking the audience (whether via plot, sex, or violence). I think this may be why they liked ASOIF in the first place - because it has a lot of 'shocking' plotlines.

All I know is that I've been watching Deadwood lately, and Ros ain't got nothin' on Trixie ;)

As someone who has been critical of the show for a while now, I'm glad to see that rankings of the best HBO shows are, for the most part, no longer listing GOT as the GREATEST SHOW EVER. Game of Thrones deserves credit for a lot of things -- good screenwriting in the earlier seasons, some terrific performances, great cinematography -- but I really don't think its high praise is going to hold up twenty years from now. Other shows with great CGI are going to become more common (we're already seeing this with Westworld), so once the allure of dragons is lost, I don't think the rest of the material will be viewed in such a good light. (Also, with the way the awards shows work, I'm guessing that we're going to get a show that breaks all the nomination records every 5-10 years now).

It'll be interesting to see how Confederate pans out. HBO has had a record of successful showrunners creating hit shows, only for their next series to be poorly-received among viewers (Treme, Luck, etc.) so I doubt it'll be a guaranteed hit. 

On 10/9/2017 at 6:24 PM, MrJay said:

Wait wait wait 

The rules are fluid, depending on whatever D&D wish to accomplish in any given episode. See the sudden need for introducing the NK, and the ritual of "resurrecting" the dead. In season 1, the dead just opened their wide blue eyes and killed the living, no white walker needed to impose their hands to resurrect them.

23 hours ago, Rhodan said:

Jesus, today I´ve heard about scientific conference in Britain about GOT. And one of the subjects they are pondereing is, if the sonic ravens are possible. Never underestimate the power of shitty writing.  

LOL! :D You made me laugh so much! I hope it is a sarcasm-heavy conference, for the sake of science. And for the sake of actual good writing, too. 

Some comments on Preston Jacobs' episode 7 video:

Did Sandra and Wolverine just violate guest right? After that mummer's farce of a trial (in which the Stark didn't even swing the sword) shouldn't there be a downfall of house Stark (or Sansa) a lá Frey? After all, unlike the Freys, the Starks even believe in the Old Gods (and have heard of the Rat Cook) or did Littlefinger not eat or drink the entire time he was in the North.

Another...

Why didn't the Hound simply let the wight kill Cersei ? Ser Robert Strong, Euron Greyjoy and Ser Jamie Lannister were caught unprepared and couldn't have defended Cersei in time. This would have ended the war since Jamie would have inherited the command of the Lannister forces and he had no appetite to fight dragons.

Another...

I know this will never be brought up in the show but, isn't Sam still in the Nights Watch? Jon sent him south to be the new maester for castle black. Doesn't he still have vows he needs to uphold for his brothers? I'm sure they can still use his help even if he is not a maester. One can only assume Sam got an annulment.

On 10/9/2017 at 0:24 PM, MrJay said:

Wait wait wait 

Well, the first one is from the books and the second one probably works on the same logic of the first

21 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Some comments on Preston Jacobs' episode 7 video:

Did Sandra and Wolverine just violate guest right? After that mummer's farce of a trial (in which the Stark didn't even swing the sword) shouldn't there be a downfall of house Stark (or Sansa) a lá Frey? After all, unlike the Freys, the Starks even believe in the Old Gods (and have heard of the Rat Cook) or did Littlefinger not eat or drink the entire time he was in the North.

Another...

Why didn't the Hound simply let the wight kill Cersei ? Ser Robert Strong, Euron Greyjoy and Ser Jamie Lannister were caught unprepared and couldn't have defended Cersei in time. This would have ended the war since Jamie would have inherited the command of the Lannister forces and he had no appetite to fight dragons.

Another...

I know this will never be brought up in the show but, isn't Sam still in the Nights Watch? Jon sent him south to be the new maester for castle black. Doesn't he still have vows he needs to uphold for his brothers? I'm sure they can still use his help even if he is not a maester. One can only assume Sam got an annulment.

You would also think that as kitn Jon would help out the NW who defended his corpse by offering more resources in food, weapons, dragonglass, men etc. but no poor Edd has to do everything himself because, Jon is a traitor.

http://uproxx.com/tv/game-of-thrones-series-finale-multiple-endings/

The only reason why I could see them actually filming more than one ending is if they all took place outdoors (unless they're worried about the production crew doing the leaking). I definitely do think we're going to be getting a lot of HBO-issued fake leaks this year, though. If they're smart, they'll make sure the leaks match up with the filming schedule. 

On 9/10/2017 at 0:24 PM, MrJay said:

Wait wait wait 

The dead guy that almost killed mormont is a good question, as far as the one they brought cersei, they Went by ship/ flew over the wall. The magic spells keep things from penetrating the wall. Eastwatch is a port north of the wall, ships sailing from there do not go through the wall. Same thing with Melissandre's blood magic when she killed Renly. She could not penetrate the walls of Storms End with it, so she needed to be smuggled around it and let in through an opening. So if the Army of the Dead mustered a thousand ships they wouldnt need to bring the wall down.

5 hours ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

You would also think that as kitn Jon would help out the NW who defended his corpse by offering more resources in food, weapons, dragonglass, men etc. but no poor Edd has to do everything himself because, Jon is a traitor.

Yeah, they sure aren't ones for tying up loose ends... deserter used to mean something, even on the show.

I´ve just posted this on another site... I recently remembered how since season 3 Joffrey and Tywin knew pretty much everything about Dany, including the fact that she has three dragons... And it almost hasn´affected the plot at all. It was only used as reason why Tywin sent Dany the letter about Jorah. Which was also pretty nonsensical. 

9 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I did like the way NCW said "Fuck loyalty?" like this does not compute! He's a funny guy. That was a big waste, not letting Jaime be his snarky self on the show all this time.

Later he repeats the words that Brienne told him to Cersei before leaving her. I'd have preferred another way of he leaving her but at least Brienne had an effect on him. At least the twincest is over. It was nauseating, I could not handle it anymore. All the twincest and the stupid wights for Cersei were created in order to have Cersei screentime till the end. in another show she'd be over, or at least there would have been a twist so that she was over. I mean, they did that stupid twist to get rid of LF, so why didn't they do the same for Cersei? It would have been as stupid as the exhibition we got, but at least we would not be seeing her anymore. In a normal feudal system she would not be a monarch.

Archived