Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

13 hours ago, Faera said:

That annoyed me, too. There really isn't any logical reason that Bran wouldn't have heard her the first time if he could the second time. Feels like it was all a contrivance to make Sam relevant. And bring us that awful, dumbed down narration over #boatincest2017.

Another good point. Guess they thought reunions and sitting in silence waiting for Daenerys made more sense than having Jon and Brienne kill time by having a chat.

Honestly, I'm actually really curious as to where he's going with this. The ideas aren't perfect but they make a lot more sense than what we got so far. The fact that it is so easy for us to "fix" S7 from the benefit of hindsight shows that what GoT really needed was a few more editors to keep the plot straight.

It was weird how the Riverlands storyline disappeared for a couple of seasons. 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:01 AM, MrJay said:

Logged in to second this. That guy is easily one of the best actors on the show. It kinda saddens me that people talk of how they hate Joff, but rarely give the guy his dues. 

He honestly played the part if the charming prince so well that I honestly see why Sansa would love him. I saw a video of him out if context and he legit came off as a sweet guy. 

Then he shows how messed up Joff is. Spoiled rotten, entitieled, not stupid (surprisingly) and utterly sadistic. 

Ramsay was bad, but kinda cartoony bad. Like someone who watched the show and wanted to "out villain" Joff. But Joff came off like a real person. Someone who looks prestine in public, but tortures animals and people behind locked doors. 

And even when he let his evil ways show, he always came off as a spoiled rotten rich kid, which he was. 

Jack Gleeson is a top notch actor. And that's even more inoressive given his age. (of course the source was just stellar, but he sold it 100% and stood toe to toe with established actors) 

He certainly nailed Joffrey's sheer loathsomeness.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

It was weird how the Riverlands storyline disappeared for a couple of seasons. 

That's a big part of how they went astray. This huge swath of story between the north and the south is virtually gone except for killing Freys. It's like flyover country.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

He certainly nailed Joffrey's sheer loathsomeness.

Yeah, the actors are the best part about the show. Now they can't even prepare properly because of the secrecy.

GRRM recently said so what about spoilers, you see a classic adaptation and still enjoy it. I'd rather be spoiled.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

He really wasn't very bright.

He is supposed to be 7 or so and plays with his cats and likes to use his rubber stamp on documents. He is supposed to be a child but they aged him up to get a fleshy scene while keeping him with the mind of a small child. Creative Satisfying to them but downright disgusting.

41 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh, GRRM, Tommen is going to be a hard death to read about. I always knew he was doomed because of what Maggy the Frog said, but still. He's just this very sweet victim of horrible people.

Tommen in the books is very brave on top of it all, as shown in that mock tourney in ACoK, as well as sweet and gentle. Given that even Joffrey's death was gruesome to read, I think Tommen's will be heart breaking. Myrcella, too. 

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh, GRRM, Tommen is going to be a hard death to read about. I always knew he was doomed because of what Maggy the Frog said, but still. He's just this very sweet victim of horrible people.

Dany will feed Tommen and Ser Pounce to Drogon.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Yeah, the actors are the best part about the show. Now they can't even prepare properly because of the secrecy.

GRRM recently said so what about spoilers, you see a classic adaptation and still enjoy it. I'd rather be spoiled.

He's even more loathsome and stupid than book Joffrey is, but it's believable that he would be even worse as an adult than as a boy.

On 23/10/2017 at 0:55 AM, Caterina Sforza said:

Probably cause Jon was already informed that she and Bran were at WF.

That's another nitpick of mine.

Y'know when Jon remarks when he gets the raven message telling him that Arya and Bran are back at Winterfell and he says, "I thought Arya was dead. I thought Bran was dead..."? Well, Bran was the one sibling - aside from Sansa - who he definitely knew was alive. Yes, as far of the rest of the world is concerned, Brandon Stark was murdered along with his brother Rickon. However, unlike in the books, Sam actually tells Jon that he saw Bran's Crew heading out beyond the Wall.

Now, granted he could have presumed they were all dead but only an episode or so before Daenerys actually says something along the lines of, "You lost two brothers, didn't you?" but as far as Daenerys Targaryen would know about the official record, Jon has lost three brothers: Robb, Bran and Rickon. :blink:

I know, I know. In before "who cares about Rickon?" jab.

8 hours ago, Faera said:

That's another nitpick of mine.

Y'know when Jon remarks when he gets the raven message telling him that Arya and Bran are back at Winterfell and he says, "I thought Arya was dead. I thought Bran was dead..."? Well, Bran was the one sibling - aside from Sansa - who he definitely knew was alive. Yes, as far of the rest of the world is concerned, Brandon Stark was murdered along with his brother Rickon. However, unlike in the books, Sam actually tells Jon that he saw Bran's Crew heading out beyond the Wall.

Now, granted he could have presumed they were all dead but only an episode or so before Daenerys actually says something along the lines of, "You lost two brothers, didn't you?" but as far as Daenerys Targaryen would know about the official record, Jon has lost three brothers: Robb, Bran and Rickon. :blink:

I know, I know. In before "who cares about Rickon?" jab.

I care about Rickon. :(

Seriously though, that little savage intrigues me. I don't remember Sam telling Jon about Bran but it must've been in season 3 or 4? That's a long time ago and knowing he went beyond the wall even more reasons for him to believe Bran was dead. But yeah, Jon lost 3 brothers and I wouldn't be surprised actually the writers not remembering. lol

Just something I posted on Reddit. I liked Syrio´s "God of death" stuff from season 1... But come to think about it. It starts by him asking her if she prays and than says "There is just one god and that is death". Sorry, I know this is foreshadowing, but did he just offend religion(s) of his employers?     

On 25/10/2017 at 1:09 AM, Caterina Sforza said:

I care about Rickon. :( 

I do, too. I really wish they hadn't killed him off in that way. Book-wise, I always thought that his time on Skagos might well have changed him for good. He is Bran's foil in that regard -- both boys were warging their wolves at the same time but while Bran ultimately won his fight for dominance and actually has complete control not only over Summer but Hodor, too, I imagine Shaggydog won his fight with Rickon and turned him into a savage or more wolf than man.

On 25/10/2017 at 1:09 AM, Caterina Sforza said:

Seriously though, that little savage intrigues me. I don't remember Sam telling Jon about Bran but it must've been in season 3 or 4?

I can't completely remember but I think it's when Sam is debating with Jon in the library over whether to desert and go back to Mole's Town to get Gilly and BB!Sam. Out of nowhere, Jon suddenly says something to the effect of, "I know how you feel. When you told me about Bran going beyond the Wall all I wanted to do was get better so I could go rescue him." So, it would have been early S4, I guess? Either way, there is never a proper scene of Sam telling him - Jon was just randomly told during the off-season when he was recovering from his escape from the wildlings.

Either way, it completely undermines a huge part about Sam's character from the books. He will randomly burst out EVERYTHING that is on his mind bar that solemn promise he made to Bran, then Jojen and then Coldhands not to tell anyone - even Jon - that Bran is alive and beyond the Wall.

2 hours ago, Faera said:

I imagine Shaggydog won his fight with Rickon and turned him into a savage or more wolf than man.

Me too and that's exactly why he intrigues me. I can't wait to hear about him and his story in the next book. 

Either way, it completely undermines a huge part about Sam's character from the books. He will randomly burst out EVERYTHING that is on his mind bar that solemn promise he made to Bran, then Jojen and then Coldhands not to tell anyone - even Jon - that Bran is alive and beyond the Wall.

Sam's character has gone down south since he was attached to Gilly doing little to nothing. Curing Jorah like it was nothing and how they handled that annulment news was just silly. To think that I was so hopeful when I saw him arriving in Oldtown, in season 6 finale. They had Jim Broadbent as Archmaester, which is such a fine actor. I was expecting a cool story there. 

2 hours ago, Caterina Sforza said:

Sam's character has gone down south since he was attached to Gilly doing little to nothing. Curing Jorah like it was nothing and how they handled that annulment news was just silly. To think that I was so hopeful when I saw him arriving in Oldtown, in season 6 finale. They had Jim Broadbent as Archmaester, which is such a fine actor. I was expecting a cool story there. 

I'm still sad that Jim Broadbent wasn't Archmaester Marwyn who, frankly, has way more to do with Samwell's storyline in the books and would be much better placed to advise him on the Others. He could also have sympathised with him over the stuffiness of the Citadel.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/11/2017 at 8:13 PM, Faera said:

I'm still sad that Jim Broadbent wasn't Archmaester Marwyn who, frankly, has way more to do with Samwell's storyline in the books and would be much better placed to advise him on the Others. He could also have sympathised with him over the stuffiness of the Citadel.

I think the show-runners wanted their tedious parallel with Professor Slughorn. But although I'd say he would be miscast as Marwyn, he's a good enough actor to have made it interesting and not practically retread previous work for seemingly comedic intent.

Heck, he might as well have turned to look into the camera and winked at the audience when discussing the "restricted section".

5 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I think the show-runners wanted their tedious parallel with Professor Slughorn. But although I'd say he would be miscast as Marwyn, he's a good enough actor to have made it interesting and not practically retread previous work for seemingly comedic intent.

Heck, he might as well have turned to look into the camera and winked at the audience when discussing the "restricted section".

Why have an interesting character when you can have a shit actor allusion?

"At some point, you've got to start wondering... what the hell is this... plot?" - David Benioff, 2016.

Archived