Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

54 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Exactly.  Using their own cast members as moderators is absurd - using the child ones who have even less chance of contradicting them is outright insulting.

I don't think it's a case that they are children, it's simply that the younger cast effectively had their lives transformed by this show. Now that was largely down to luck - picking child actors is something of a crap shoot, some grow up to be good and some bad and until later in life they can be somewhat interchangeable in terms of quality. But if you are a child actor and by being cast in this show you've been inducted into a world of fame and wealth beyond your wildest dreams by two hack screen writers, the will or motive to hold them to account for anything is non existent.  

On 30. 3. 2017 at 7:45 PM, Queen of Procrastination said:

I liked the song, but the rest just bored me. I wasn't angered or laughed because of the silliness like I sometimes do with the show, I was just bored. 

But well I'm most likely not gonna watch Season 7 are you?

Well, speaking for myself, I´ve joined "rebellion" quite late in the game (pun not intended). I´ve had quite hopes for Season 5, lesser of 6. Now I will not be fooled to expect quality television, but at the same time I will not resign on the show, when it is entering it´s effectively final season that just happened to be unnaturaly prolenged and then split up.  

No.  There were always seven books, and they split book 3 into seasons 3 and 4. 

There must be some story breaks between "Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring". 

That's what they said THROUGH Season 3, only and started yelling "we always meant seven seasons!" in Season 4 when the contract negotiations were in dispute.

but I digress....

@TheCasualObserver  Yeah, exactly;  the child actors like Maisie aren't going to ask them probing questions at a live panel.

14 hours ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

@The Boastful Knight I agree completely with what you said about Maisie's and Sophie's ages. They aren't that much younger then me. However, I think what @The Dragon Demands means is that by using to of your cast members as panel Moderators you can guarantee that you get no unkomfortable questions. You ensure that no one asks you stuff like "why didn't tell Sansa about the KotV"or that they get questions about "the Jaime/Cersei" scene like at the Oxford Union pannel. They could have used Kit and Emilia and the result is the same. By letting to of your cast members moderate the pannel you ensure that there won't be a question that could embarass you, because you don't have an answer. There's always a chance that a normal panel moderator or an audience member asks you a question you don't want to be asked. 

And that is why prefabricated panels are so boring.....

10 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

And that is why prefabricated panels are so boring.....

All of them are boring in my opinion. The members of the audience, which mostly consists of fanboys, always ask the same 3 to 6 questions ( kinda like Tyrion always gets the same dwarf jokes haha :D ). "Tell me a funny story from set!" "Who is the biggest prankster on set?" "What is it like working with xyz?" "Did you like your costumes?" "Did you get to keep something from set?" "Did you like the location shoots? " And so on and so forth. 

To be fair, "professional" (although in the age of youtube that word should be used carefully) interviewers tend to ask similarly deep questions, so I'm not just picking on the show fans. Look, I have seen all the GoT SDCC panels and some others as well (mostly from England, with lesser known cast members like the guy who played The Mountain The Second or as someone so eloquently named him on the internets, the Tree That Rides - what could you possibly ask him about btw?).

Throughout all these panels, there were maybe five-ish questions, that even scraped the surface of being intelligent, interesting or in any way shape or form worthwhile. Most of them were outright ignored (like some guy who asked about Lady Stoneheart - yeah good luck with that buddy) or were bullshitted away with some non sequitur nonsense. Some of the moderators were a little bit better or at least serviceable (like Craig Ferguson, who was quite good at being...himself and that was more than the others could say, who didn't have an ounce of personality) and of course when GRRM himself moderated (for the first two years, I think, I guess when he still believed his books got a good TV adaptation - if you look carefully, he has been gradually distancing himself from the show for the last few years) that was fine, but even he didn't say or ask that interesting things.

So all in all, like I said in an earlier post, these Comic Con events are mainly for the hardcore fans, who don't really have major problems with the subject of their admiration. And at the end of the day I think it's fine. But I don't expect to learn any insight from them. If you manage to get to the microphone, and ask your non-stupid question, expect to be ignored or shut down, but never expect you'll get a real answer.

55 minutes ago, The Boastful Knight said:

All of them are boring in my opinion. The members of the audience, which mostly consists of fanboys, always ask the same 3 to 6 questions ( kinda like Tyrion always gets the same dwarf jokes haha :D ). "Tell me a funny story from set!" "Who is the biggest prankster on set?" "What is it like working with xyz?" "Did you like your costumes?" "Did you get to keep something from set?" "Did you like the location shoots? " And so on and so forth. 

To be fair, "professional" (although in the age of youtube that word should be used carefully) interviewers tend to ask similarly deep questions, so I'm not just picking on the show fans. Look, I have seen all the GoT SDCC panels and some others as well (mostly from England, with lesser known cast members like the guy who played The Mountain The Second or as someone so eloquently named him on the internets, the Tree That Rides - what could you possibly ask him about btw?).

Throughout all these panels, there were maybe five-ish questions, that even scraped the surface of being intelligent, interesting or in any way shape or form worthwhile. Most of them were outright ignored (like some guy who asked about Lady Stoneheart - yeah good luck with that buddy) or were bullshitted away with some non sequitur nonsense. Some of the moderators were a little bit better or at least serviceable (like Craig Ferguson, who was quite good at being...himself and that was more than the others could say, who didn't have an ounce of personality) and of course when GRRM himself moderated (for the first two years, I think, I guess when he still believed his books got a good TV adaptation - if you look carefully, he has been gradually distancing himself from the show for the last few years) that was fine, but even he didn't say or ask that interesting things.

So all in all, like I said in an earlier post, these Comic Con events are mainly for the hardcore fans, who don't really have major problems with the subject of their admiration. And at the end of the day I think it's fine. But I don't expect to learn any insight from them. If you manage to get to the microphone, and ask your non-stupid question, expect to be ignored or shut down, but never expect you'll get a real answer.

I agree with this, but you missed the most frequently asked question of all - someone asking what will happen in the next series. It's astonishing how often this sort of thing comes up and it is completely worthless.

4 minutes ago, TheCasualObserver said:

I agree with this, but you missed the most frequently asked question of all - someone asking what will happen in the next series. It's astonishing how often this sort of thing comes up and it is completely worthless.

Indeed, John Bradley (Sam) adressed this in an interview (obviously I don't agree with his praise of the show, but with the main point that he makes when talking about fans asking what happens next). 

@The Boastful Knight Oh I agree that many fans and moderators ask stupid questions. There are some questions I would love to ask D&D if I ever had the chance. I wouldn't expect them to give me a smart answer, but I still would love to ask them some stuff. Just to see their reaction and to get another confirmation on why I believe they made some changes. People were coming up with all kinds of honeypots on why Sansa didn't tell Jon about the KotV. Like many ranters I believed that there was no in-universe explanation and that Sansa didn't tell Jon because the writers wanted an 11th hour save. So when Sophie Turner said that D&D never told her why Sansa acted this way and that it made everything more dramatically satisfying, I was like "thanks for the confirmation". I also found D&D's reaction to the the question about the Jaime/Cersei sept scene quite revealing. Of course this won't convince hardcore fans that the show id bad, but I still like to see how they react to unkomfortable questions. 

If I'm not mistaken GRRM has told journalists "don't ask me who my favourite character is or who Jon's mother is". 

@TheCasualObserver: This is pretty much the most useless question ever. I don't expect the novel I'm working on to  ever be published or to ever give an interview or be asked questions at a pannel. However,  if this ever happens and someone asks me "what is gonna happen in the sequel" I'm gonna troll that person and give him /her a fake summary. 

10 minutes ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

@The Boastful Knight Oh I agree that many fans and moderators ask stupid questions. There are some questions I would love to ask D&D if I ever had the chance. I wouldn't expect them to give me a smart answer, but I still would love to ask them some stuff. Just to see their reaction and to get another confirmation on why I believe they made some changes. People were coming up with all kinds of honeypots on why Sansa didn't tell Jon about the KotV. Like many ranters I believed that there was no in-universe explanation and that Sansa didn't tell Jon because the writers wanted an 11th hour save. So when Sophie Turner said that D&D never told her why Sansa acted this way and that it made everything more dramatically satisfying, I was like "thanks for the confirmation". I also found D&D's reaction to the the question about the Jaime/Cersei sept scene quite revealing. Of course this won't convince hardcore fans that the show id bad, but I still like to see how they react to unkomfortable questions. 

If I'm not mistaken GRRM has told journalists "don't ask me who my favourite character is or who Jon's mother is.

Of course there are tons of questions I would like to ask them as well, and like you, I wouldn't expect to get a real answer at SDCC. It would be fun of course nonetheless. Too bad I'll never get the chance, because even if in the future somehow I'll make it to SDCC (it's kinda on my bucket list mostly because it's the single most nerdiest thing ever and well, I am one :D - the only problem it's an ocean and one and a half continent away from me ), the series then is going to be long over. 

Oh and don't get me started on headcannoning in the GoT fandom. Just read any other fan forum besides this one (or even here, other threads), reddit threads, youtube comment sections etc. There are literally legions of GoT fans who are ready to defend the show to their last breath. They invent character motivations, deeper messages or meanings where there are none to be found, they analyse the tiniest details and find clever plotting and masterful storytelling. Delusional, is the word, I would describe them with. Even with my favourite series (Breaking Bad - yeah, I know, boring choice :D ) of all time I wouldn't do that. In fact, I would probably be able to write detailed criticisms about it if I really wanted to. I guess I've never really understood the mentality of fanboyism, where you defend something to the end without question, because nothing is perfect, and even the best things in life have many flaws. 

So of course there are no in-universe explanations for most stupid things in the show besides "creatively it made sense for us because we wanted it to happen" , which has got to be the single best quote from D&D (I don't know which one said it, it doesn't matter, they are like a single entity at this point). And by best, I mean the one that reveals the most about their attitude towards writing this show. 

The Jaime/Cersei sept thing is a tricky one, because I firmly believe there was some miscommunication between the various people who made that scene happen. So ironically, that one I wouldn't pin on D&D in its entirety, because the director, the actors and D&D all said different things about it, so I don't know what's the truth. But it doesn't matter, at the very least, in editing they should have noticed the scene wasn't conveying what they thought it was conveying. So at the end of the day, after it aired, I think D&D knew that they fucked up, but at that point they couldn't just say "mea culpa", because their egos wouldn't let them or the studio, or I don't know.  

I think GRRM said his favourite character was Tyrion in the past, so I guess he got bored being asked that over and over again, and then he told reporters not to ask it. As for Jon's mother, with the show depicting the most subscribed fan theory, I don't think there are many people who still habe doubts about that. George of course can still pull a fast one on us and then we find out that Jon's mother was just some random tavern girl, but I highly doubt it.

I think his biggest enemy are fan theories and more importantly, the fact that these theories can be shared on the internet. Don't forget he started writing ASOIAF before the internet became a thing, and for many years, his fandom was much-much smaller than it is now. So he spends years crafting the story and dropping hints which only the smartest readers can notice, and when he reveals the secret, then it surprises most of his readers. But the internet changed everything, because now those smart readers can share their theories with all the other readers, and when something is finally revealed, it's not a surprise anymore, because now everyone knows about it because they read the theories on the internet. 

You know, regarding tough interview questions, if they just came out and said, "we wanted it that way for dramatic purposes," what do you all think the general reaction would be? Instead of trying to make it look like it's all one grand plan, they admit, at least for a few plot points (the gist I'm getting from the show that this is far more prevalent) they just made stuff up because they wanted to. Would listeners let that slide, thinking that they enjoy the spectacle and a "few" (hah) senseless reversals aren't going to hurt their viewing pleasure? Some would probably double-down on the the "genius" aspect of the show runners. Would anyone else realize they've been had? Would they care?

I admit, sometimes I feel like a hypocrite. Most folks I know are looking forward to next season, while I'm looking forward to the next book. And yet I like other adaptations better than their source material, such as the Harry Potter movies over the books (I like the cast, really). Heck, I even enjoyed the Hobbit movies (not over the book, mind you, but as movies, even though the last one was... let's just say it had the most "whats" per minute of all the Middle Earth films.) So, yeah, who wants to be That Person who sniffs and says, "the books were better." Except they are. MUCH better. 

23 minutes ago, Liver and Onions said:

You know, regarding tough interview questions, if they just came out and said, "we wanted it that way for dramatic purposes," what do you all think the general reaction would be? Instead of trying to make it look like it's all one grand plan, they admit, at least for a few plot points (the gist I'm getting from the show that this is far more prevalent) they just made stuff up because they wanted to. Would listeners let that slide, thinking that they enjoy the spectacle and a "few" (hah) senseless reversals aren't going to hurt their viewing pleasure? Some would probably double-down on the the "genius" aspect of the show runners. Would anyone else realize they've been had? Would they care?

I admit, sometimes I feel like a hypocrite. Most folks I know are looking forward to next season, while I'm looking forward to the next book. And yet I like other adaptations better than their source material, such as the Harry Potter movies over the books (I like the cast, really). Heck, I even enjoyed the Hobbit movies (not over the book, mind you, but as movies, even though the last one was... let's just say it had the most "whats" per minute of all the Middle Earth films.) So, yeah, who wants to be That Person who sniffs and says, "the books were better." Except they are. MUCH better. 

Well, with the whole "we wanted it to happen" comment, which I mentioned above, I think they pretty much admitted that they don't have a "grand plan", or they just do things because "wouldn't it be cool?". Most people didn't care or even know about it (it was like two years ago at this point that they gave that interview). The still think it's genius television, it's still regarded as such in the general consciousness and mentioned besides Breaking Bad or The Sopranos or The Wire (which is an insult to all three of those shows). It's still getting Emmy nominations (and wins), so I guess that answers your question. 

Yeah, sure I agree that sometimes an adaptation is better than the book (a clockwork orange for example in my opinion), but I think it's in the minority. But a few pages back I made a post detailing that GoT is long past the point of being bad just because it doesn't follow the books (there are no more books to follow at this point as well). It's bad, even worse on its own, without bringing the books into the discussion. It doesn't matter it has a big budget and good production values for a TV show or a mostly good cast of actors (too bad the main ones aren't). It has one of the worst writing in TV right now in my opinion, with various CW shows being better (The 100 comes to mind which is not perfect but entertains me far more than GoT), which would have been a joke a few years back. 

6 minutes ago, The Boastful Knight said:

Well, with the whole "we wanted it to happen" comment, which I mentioned above, I think they pretty much admitted that they don't have a "grand plan", or they just do things because "wouldn't it be cool?". Most people didn't care or even know about it (it was like two years ago at this point that they gave that interview). The still think it's genius television, it's still regarded as such in the general consciousness and mentioned besides Breaking Bad or The Sopranos or The Wire (which is an insult to all three of those shows). It's still getting Emmy nominations (and wins), so I guess that answers your question. 

Yeah, sure I agree that sometimes an adaptation is better than the book (a clockwork orange for example in my opinion), but I think it's in the minority. But a few pages back I made a post detailing that GoT is long past the point of being bad just because it doesn't follow the books (there are no more books to follow at this point as well). It's bad, even worse on its own, without bringing the books into the discussion. It doesn't matter it has a big budget and good production values for a TV show or a mostly good cast of actors (too bad the main ones aren't). It has one of the worst writing in TV right now in my opinion, with various CW shows being better (The 100 comes to mind which is not perfect but entertains me far more than GoT), which would have been a joke a few years back. 

Good point about them admitting they have no plan. What happens when the emperor boldly states he's nekkid, and the crowd just goes, we don't care, DRAGONS!

(and I like dragons, love 'em- I just prefer them to make some kind of sense narratively)

I wish your point about the show being bad as a show, not just an adaptation, got more attention in the mainstream. I hold out some kind of hope that, once the show wraps up and the hype is gone, more people will find it cool to take a dump on what was a popular show solely for the reason of being contrary. "It wasn't as good as you thought it," kind of thing. Yeah, that is often a smug and self-satisfied method of criticism, but it's possible that time will not judge this show well. Hopefully. 

But then again, DRAGONS. And PLOT TWISTS. (I can make a plot twist, too. Aliens land and kill everyone. SO EDGY. Where's my Emmy?)

3 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

I myself have no doubt when the hype dies down in a few years the show will be look at much less favorably. With the last few seasons compared to the last few seasons of Lost or Heroes.

Woah, don't you drag my beloved Lost down into this bucket of shit.

Heroes is fine. Heroes can go fuck itself.

I came to the shows late, in fact I came to the books late as well.  S6 was the first season I really followed on HBO (I bought the DVDs to S1 but only watched about half of those, I have since seen all the shows).  Do I think that it is some landmark TV?  No, it's not really examining any deep questions of the human condition.  Do I think that the books are great literature?  Again no they aren't.  So why do I watch and why did I read the books?  I watch and read because they're fun.  I think though that perhaps the deeper question here, for those who are going on about what a piece of crap the show is and how horrible that people think that it's good is, if you think that, why on Earth are you watching it and more importantly taking the time to discuss it online?

On 2.4.2017 at 2:51 PM, The Boastful Knight said:

Of course there are tons of questions I would like to ask them as well, and like you, I wouldn't expect to get a real answer at SDCC. It would be fun of course nonetheless. Too bad I'll never get the chance, because even if in the future somehow I'll make it to SDCC (it's kinda on my bucket list mostly because it's the single most nerdiest thing ever and well, I am one :D - the only problem it's an ocean and one and a half continent away from me ), the series then is going to be long over. 

Same here. I really want to go to SDCC at some point, but I'll also have to cross an ocean for it. 

On 2.4.2017 at 2:51 PM, The Boastful Knight said:

The Jaime/Cersei sept thing is a tricky one, because I firmly believe there was some miscommunication between the various people who made that scene happen. So ironically, that one I wouldn't pin on D&D in its entirety, because the director, the actors and D&D all said different things about it, so I don't know what's the truth. But it doesn't matter, at the very least, in editing they should have noticed the scene wasn't conveying what they thought it was conveying. So at the end of the day, after it aired, I think D&D knew that they fucked up, but at that point they couldn't just say "mea culpa", because their egos wouldn't let them or the studio, or I don't know.  

Yep, it was meant to be a consensual scene and if you zoom in really close you can see Cersei kissing Jaime and pulling him closer, but it's nearly impossible to spot.  You can read more about it here: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Breaker_of_Chains/Jaime-Cersei_sex_scene) The director (Alex Graves who did a couple of other not so nice things) fucked up. Someone should have noticed that it looks like a rapescene during the editing process. In the commentary of one of the previous seasons (I think it was the one for season 3) D&D talk about how often they have watched certain scenes and that they notice all sorts of details that even attentive viewers would never spot. For me that leaves two possibilities:

1. They watched the scene and didn't notice that it looked like a rape scene.

2. The didn't watch the scene in it's final version before it aired. 

It suspect that the latter happened and someone who works for the show should really have noticed it before it aired, but mistakes happen everywhere. I guess I could have forgiven them if they had just sincerly apoligised for it and said that it was never intended to be a rape scene. I suspect they didn't want to do it, because by the time Season 4 aired they were already writing Season 5 and the Sansa Bolton storyline. 

On 2.4.2017 at 3:15 PM, The Boastful Knight said:

The comment you made a few pages ago was really good :thumbsup: . I agree that there are many better shows on TV. GoT just manages to hide it's bad writing behid good acting and making everything look really nice. Other shows on TV have better writing they just don't have the budget GoT has. Sometimes I wonder what some CW and ABC shows would be like if the showrunners had the same budget GoT has. I guess many showrunners from other shows would produce something better with this budget than D&D do. 

On 2.4.2017 at 2:55 PM, Liver and Onions said:

How can you say that the HP movies are better than the books? That's heresy :fencing:

Just kidding I like the movies well enoug, but I'm among those that have grown up with HP. My grandma read the first book to me before I could read and I listened to the audiobooks so many times that my mother hid my cassette player, because she was getting annoyed :D When the first movie came out my family went to the cinema with me and I guess I annoyed the entire audience, because I knew the books by heart and everytime I noticed a change I started to talk about how they changed it from the books :D .

I normally like the books better than it's adaptation. The only example of where I liked a movie better than the book it's based on is "Fifty Shades of Grey" . The movie wasn't good, but the book was just so terribly. 

Still it doesn't mean that I dislike movies that are based on books. I enjoyed the HP movies well enough. While I think that the LotR books are better than the movies, I love the movies. They are my favourite movies of all time and I enjoy watching them over and over again.

1 hour ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

I came to the shows late, in fact I came to the books late as well.  S6 was the first season I really followed on HBO (I bought the DVDs to S1 but only watched about half of those, I have since seen all the shows).  Do I think that it is some landmark TV?  No, it's not really examining any deep questions of the human condition.  Do I think that the books are great literature?  Again no they aren't.  So why do I watch and why did I read the books?  I watch and read because they're fun.  I think though that perhaps the deeper question here, for those who are going on about what a piece of crap the show is and how horrible that people think that it's good is, if you think that, why on Earth are you watching it and more importantly taking the time to discuss it online?

The most common reasons are: 

1. The show will give us an ending before the books do.

2. Hate-watching can be fun and talking about it as well.

3. For some people it's just hard to stop once they have invested so much time into it in the past when they still liked the show. Now they want to know how it ends.

4. Hope that it will get better, but I guess many people here are past that point. 

If you want a longer answer I can recommend listening to this podcast: https://www.thefandomentals.com/hate-watching-podcast/

Another thing: Back when I first joined this forum I spend a lot of time in the R+L=J threads. Now there were some questions and arguments that would appear again and again. Like "How can Jon be a Targ when he burned his hand?", "don't have all Targs silver hair and purple eyes", etc. At some point someone (I've forgotten who it was) got annoyed by having to answer this question again and again and made this Frequently Asked Questions that is now pinned in every R+L=J thread.

What has this to do with ranting you guys may ask?

Well there are some questions that appear again and again in the Rant and Rave threads. "Why do you keep watching?", "why do you hate the show so much?", etc. I suggest that we make an FAQ that answers all these questions and that we put at the beginning of every Rant and Rave thread. I would be willing to write it, but if someone else wants to do it feel free to do so. 

2 hours ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

This!!!!. I agree with you on everything you said. I would like to add something, but than I would ruin this beautiful and honest comment. Salute!

1 hour ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

The most common reasons are: 

1. The show will give us an ending before the books do.

2. Hate-watching can be fun and talking about it as well.

3. For some people it's just hard to stop once they have invested so much time into it in the past when they still liked the show. Now they want to know how it ends.

4. Hope that it will get better, but I guess many people here are past that point. 

If you want a longer answer I can recommend listening to this podcast: https://www.thefandomentals.com/hate-watching-podcast/

Also, I'd inevitably hear what happens second hand, so I would rather watch it myself than just 'be spoiled' by the comments of those who understand little of an adaptation written by people who understand little of the original. Then I get to laugh at it on here too.

Archived