Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

6 minutes ago, Rhodan said:

Too many peple refusing to leave the bandwagon, I ´m afraid.

That was a rhetoric question, of course. But honestly, do people outside my narrow circle of book fanatics actually like this crap? I mean, I felt better when show and books permanently parted ways but I honestly can't even enjoy this shit as bad fan fiction or a genuinely good fantasy series 'loosely inspired by the works of George R. R. Martin'.

Are other people noticing that, too?

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:56 PM, sweetsunray said:

I watched the one hour video. So, basically you want us to use the sigil of Rhaenyra's Army on the internet and propose us to make "We reconceived ..." and "Look how strong ..." into memes, expose how they are writing scene to scene without any coherent or logical story to stunt-cast the actors to emote a scene.

ETA: just checked the GOT wikia and voted on the poll question with regards the prequels.

You're god damn right. 

But not "memes".  A write-in fan campaign targeted at news sites to make them  actually publicize criticisms of D&D, pointing out "dear god they said these things in the DVD commentary" - i.e. targeted at news sites urging them "run the "Why Dorne Failed" video" (or something similar). 

Basically our version of the "Racebending" fan campaigns which pressure media outlets to actually report on race-swapping characters - but this would be on D&D's gender-swapping (Jonelle Cerwyn! Larra Blackmont!) and other stuff. 

Another way to help is that a lot of fans from non-English countries don't even have  commentaries/interviews in which they say crazy self-incriminating things, so if anyone is bilingual it would help a lot to translate some key statements into German, Spanish, French, etc. and we'll post them in the appropriate language versions of GoTWiki. 

I mean if nothing else, if a dozen people from the ranters threat PM Elio & Linda and say "You seriously need to see this video report on Why Dorne Failed, and consider running it as found news on the main page" that would help. 

Basically my hope is that Rhaenyra's army - the Knights Inquisitor - is sort of the Project Mayhem to the Ranter's thread's Fight Club ("We took Fight Club to the next level; now it's in the streets, and we call it Project Mayhem")

So I kind of drew some inspiration from the "Brotherhood Without Banners" - it's better to copy a real name from within the fictional story, and it turns out that Rhaenyra (the only ruling queen,  and a major character in upcoming prequels) actually has an "elite guard" in-universe, mentioned in passing in TPATQ; thus, the "Knights Inquisitor" (also good that it has the word "knights" in it....I'm disgusted at news sites that stopped criticizing D&D -  thus like Duncan the Tall I ask, "Are there no True Knights among you?!")

So sort of a mashup of "Renegade splinter faction of the Brotherhood Without Banners" / "Our version of the Racebending fan campaigns" / "Project Mayhem"

but the big thing is just......like the Flints fighting for Stannis against the Boltons, I'm so offended by D&D that I'd rather go down fighting, KNOWING I'll probably lose, than sit down and wait for death.  The fact that I'm fighting at all....I feel like I'm taking my god-damned dignity back.  It will make you feel better to DO something about it too.

Queen of Procrastination and I have actually been working on this for some months through Private messages.  I had to the get the groundwork running - i.e. running convention panels, making documentaries, etc.

And if it sounds like a fool's errand, I'm already running Game of Thrones Wiki, read by 1 million people a day, so it's not just complaining on a message board read by a dozen people; we've already co-opted a major news outlet in the form of the wiki.   I'm working on running panels on this stuff at New York Comic Con itself. 

This isn't small, enough people are upset about this.  But have no illusions, we'll probably lose, but I'm not going to lose without a fight.  And maybe we can save the prequels.  But better to die on our feet.  I will not kneel to men like Benioff and Weiss. 

I remembered MY vows.  Will none of you stand with us?  Are there no True Knights among you?

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

A long-overdue report in full:

Why Jeyne Westerling was changed to Talisa:  The Honeypot Theory, Fully Solved (Parts 1 & 2)

Part 1:

Part 2:

Interested in everyone's thoughts on these.

Once again, thank you. I still think it could be shorter, especially since the discussed points were quite simple, but it really seems that a lot of problematic changes have a common cause. At least now it looks like potential prequels might be safe writing-wise.   

I've probably asked this before, but I need a quick census:

What general region of the world do ranters in this thread live in?  More importantly, what languages do you know well enough to confidently read/translate?

I.e. I live in the NYC suburbs (but can get in my commuter rail); I know French and Latin reasonably well at a reading level but feel no confidence in actually translating/conversing with French-speakers on a serious level. 

I'm looking for volunteers who can translate short, paragraph-sized crazy things D&D have said in the Blu-ray commentaries - which aren't translated from English.  I will then take these translations and add them into the non-English mirror versions of Game of Thrones Wiki.  When I have encountered people from the other wikis they're usually stunned when they translate bizarre comments D&D have made out of our cited quotes (i.e. Brazilian fans were not amused by D&D's statement that "Dorne is our Brazil - opulent pleasure-seekers")

Nothing more than a paragraph at most, like the Dorne block quote about "why we rewrote Ellaria to show off Indira Varma", parts of Cogman's commentary, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

Why is Ellaria Sand kissing Yara Greyjoy, shoving her hand down her pants?

File:S7 Trailer Ellaria kissing Yara.jpg

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/File:S7_Trailer_Ellaria_kissing_Yara.jpg

Benioff & Weiss, Season 5 finale Blu-ray commentary:  "Originally Ellaria was a small role, just Oberyn's sidekick, but once we heard that Rome's Indira Varma was cast, we reconceived the role to make it worthy of her acting talents". 

5 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Benioff & Weiss, Season 5 finale Blu-ray commentary:  "Originally Ellaria was a small role, just Oberyn's sidekick, but once we heard that Rome's Indira Varma was cast, we reconceived the role to make it worthy of her acting talents". 

I gotta laugh. This passed the self-parody barrier a long time ago. 

Because of course no one would want to see Indira Varma play the actual role of Ellaria from the books. 

2 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

And I'm sure Indira Varma was happy to play such a well-conceived, complex, rich, organically evolving character... What a showcase of her talent!

The scarcasm is strong with this one.

On 2017-5-9 at 5:26 AM, The Dragon Demands said:

What general region of the world do ranters in this thread live in?  More importantly, what languages do you know well enough to confidently read/translate?

Flanders; meaning I speak Dutch (or at least a variant from it ;))

7 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

O my... One of the greatest injustices to the books is the fact how they changed Ellaria's character. 

3 hours ago, Liver and Onions said:

I gotta laugh. This passed the self-parody barrier a long time ago. 

Because of course no one would want to see Indira Varma play the actual role of Ellaria from the books. 

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

And I'm sure Indira Varma was happy to play such a well-conceived, complex, rich, organically evolving character... What a showcase of her talent!

Oh?  Sweetsunray is Dutch too. 

Have you seen the "Why Dorne Failed" video explaining why they changed Ellaria?

It's sort of my version of La muette de Portici.  Well, "Part 1", it's  a series; the second is on Talisa, and so on.

4 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Yes :D Like Tijgy I'm from the Flanders region of Belgium (different city and province, about an hour ride away) and we both speak Dutch... Slightly different regional dialect.

5 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I wouldn't call myself really Dutch but only Flemish/Belgian (different country ^_^)

And my Dutch is actually not always that understandable to the people of the Netherlands. I think my classmates, when I was studying in the Netherlands, couldn't really understand me. ;) They kept looking at me "what in godsname is she saying?"

55 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Yes :D Like Tijgy I'm from the Flanders region of Belgium (different city and province, about an hour ride away) and we both speak Dutch... Slightly different regional dialect.

Actually, we live in the same province :P IIRC except if you moved recently? I live in the more beautiful second largest city of that province.

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

I wouldn't call myself really Dutch but only Flemish/Belgian (different country ^_^)

And my Dutch is actually not always that understandable to the people of the Netherlands. I think my classmates, when I was studying in the Netherlands, couldn't really understand me. ;) They kept looking at me "what in godsname is she saying?"

Actually, we live in the same province :P IIRC except if you moved recently? I live in the more beautiful second largest city of that province.

And I live in the only city worth mentioning :P

ETA: sorry for everybody else, that's an insider-joke for Belgians. We call our city "the city" as if there's no other city. Shortly ago, I had pupils of Mechelen asking me about my accent and whether I was from ...., and then they asked how I would tell people where I'm from. I said very drily, but with a wink, "Oh, I just say I'm from The City. No need to further explain".

18 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Haven´t you heard? All the Dornishmen want is to fight and f***!

I´m from Czech Republic by the way.

11 minutes ago, Rhodan said:

Haven´t you heard? All the Dornishmen want is to fight and f***!

I´m from Czech Republic by the way.

[Slams a dagger into the table in front of me]

My family's from Slovakia......
-------------------------------------

Question:  I've tried googling this but can find no answer:  after the Netherlands broke away from France due to religious differences (Protestant), then Belgium counter-seceded from the Netherlands due to Catholic status.....why didn't French-speaking and Catholic Wallonia just get re-absorbed by France?

3 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Question:  I've tried googling this but can find no answer:  after the Netherlands broke away from France due to religious differences (Protestant), then Belgium counter-seceded from the Netherlands due to Catholic status.....why didn't French-speaking and Catholic Wallonia just get re-absorbed by France?

In the 16th century the Low Countries (current Belgium and the Netherlands) went in uprising against their Spanish overlord, Philip II of Spain. One of the reasons was indeed religious differences. At the end of the war the Low Countries was split in two: the Dutch Republic (current Netherlands) and the Southern Netherlands (current Belgium). 

The Southern Netherlands were then under the rule of the Spanish and the Austrian (or rather the Habsburg family) until they were annexed by the French during the French revolution and the Napoleonic wars. In 1815 the Allies (meaning Britain, Russia, Prussia and Austria) decided to grant the Austrian/Southern Netherlands to William I of the Netherlands which led to the unification of the Low Countries. 

In 1830s the Dutch control over the provinces led to a revolution due indeed the differences in faith, imposing Dutch as the official language in the Flemish provinces, ... The most great European powers were reluctant to accept Belgian independence because they were afraid France would annex Belgium and they certainly would never accept Belgium becoming a part of France. 

Due the fact the higher class and the higher members of the Catholic Church were French-speaking and the Flemish speaking were mostly the lower class, I don' think they had that much say in if Flanders stayed a part of the Netherlands or became part of the newly formed Belgium. 

Spoiler tag won't work, so:

[Jon and Daenerys]: "He vocally pledges to her in the Dragonpit. This catches everyone off guard, including Dany, who wasn't expecting him to do that. (Also no one thinks it was wise, as this really winds up Cersei.)

I swear, no one this dumb deserves to have made it this far. 

Archived