Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

2 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

t doesn't matter whether it's the glaring issues with nobody having taken Dragonstone yet the past 2 years, and Euron not beng interested in it, or "pooh-poohing knitting". What is glaringly obvious is that they're writing for 16-year olds who pump their fists at a character being sassy, because talking back and speaking nonsense works like magic, so they can make a meme out of it on tumblr with "you tell them, girl!". It's annoying. And it's everything that GOT is not supposed to be. Not even Arya was ever that sassy.

Arya also never put down other women even though she wanted to learn to fight.  She never put down other women for sewing or taking tea even if she wasn't interested.  She just didn't want to get picked on because she wasn't good at those things.  It almost feels like it's written by 16-year old know-nothings that think they are writing a feminist character, but cluelessly wrote a character with internalized misogyny instead.  She considers herself an exceptional example of her gender and she can just fuck right off.  You know what George wrote happening at afternoon tea?  Women planning a political assassination.    

4 hours ago, Bear Claw said:

I think the shipping on the show is a result of how the show has dropped or destroyed so many interesting plot points. Shipping and action scenes are about all that is left for viewers to be interested in at this point.  I used to love the political intrigue with Tyrion, LF, Varys, and Lady O. I mean if the show would have included Lady Stoneheart,  Aegon, a proper Euron, a proper Dorne, a proper Faceless Men/Bravos, or a proper Northern/Free Folk storyline there wouldn't be all this interest in shipping. I would like to see more of the politics, mysticism, and history in Westeros, but it isn't going to happen. Cool actions scenes, and shipping are about all the show has to offer.

Well said.

6 hours ago, Bear Claw said:

I think the shipping on the show is a result of how the show has dropped or destroyed so many interesting plot points. Shipping and action scenes are about all that is left for viewers to be interested in at this point.  I used to love the political intrigue with Tyrion, LF, Varys, and Lady O. I mean if the show would have included Lady Stoneheart,  Aegon, a proper Euron, a proper Dorne, a proper Faceless Men/Bravos, or a proper Northern/Free Folk storyline there wouldn't be all this interest in shipping. I would like to see more of the politics, mysticism, and history in Westeros, but it isn't going to happen. Cool actions scenes, and shipping are about all the show has to offer.

While I don't agree that adding in those plot points would make the show any better, clearly the show has lost any interest in developing anything outside of the high level action waypoints. Any politics, character, mysticism, has been thrown out the window in the pursuit of brevity and big moments. 

6 hours ago, SerProle said:

I think it had a stronger impact on me than was warranted because it was so unexpected lol. Instead of hearing D&D spew from the mouths of a bunch of actors in costumes (especially Cercei, Jaime, Sansa, Euron, Littlefinger ugh), the characters felt real in their world. Wow, it has been a long time since I felt like that about anything in the show, an actual willing suspension of disbelief.

Yes. I was actually for once drawn into the cottage with these characters, not just into the scene, but the story. It's been 3 years since the show presented me anything remotely like what felt like an actual proper story.

9 hours ago, SerProle said:

The earlier parts of the episode were so awful, such crap writing, I was completely caught off guard by the Hound scenes with Thoros and Beric lol. Probably the first little segment of the show that I really liked in a very long time. I think it had a stronger impact on me than was warranted because it was so unexpected lol. Instead of hearing D&D spew from the mouths of a bunch of actors in costumes (especially Cercei, Jaime, Sansa, Euron, Littlefinger ugh), the characters felt real in their world. Wow, it has been a long time since I felt like that about anything in the show, an actual willing suspension of disbelief.

But yeah, the Titanic is still going down. I am hoping a few little bits of quality are hidden in the upcoming episodes. And I'm sure the scenery will be great. I'm not looking forward to the cruelty of the upcoming episode though. 

Those scenes hold up on a rewatching, too. Rory knocked it out of the park. And the response was great, we are seeing people loving those scenes all over, from reviewers to casual viewers. They could relate to Sandor. A scene with someone human, with a heart. Not just a plot pushing a character along.

Contrast that to poor NCW, who is a good actor, but is given such terrible contradictory things to perform. He said he was asking questions and they said just say the lines. He can't answer basic character motivation questions. Because it makes no sense for Jaime to be there, after what Cersei has done.

7 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Those scenes hold up on a rewatching, too. Rory knocked it out of the park. And the response was great, we are seeing people loving those scenes all over, from reviewers to casual viewers. They could relate to Sandor. A scene with someone human, with a heart. Not just a plot pushing a character along.

Contrast that to poor NCW, who is a good actor, but is given such terrible contradictory things to perform. He said he was asking questions and they said just say the lines. He can't answer basic character motivation questions. Because it makes no sense for Jaime to be there, after what Cersei has done.

So, what happened? Were those better scenes written by someone else, or are Benioff and Weiiss suddenly extremely competent when they are not writing the main plot(s)?

Can someone give Meera Reed a freaking IronMan award for dragging Bran through 100+ miles of snow all by herself? now THAT was impressive!

Few things; why was every single character wearing solid black? It was weird, even Carol was in full on Battle-gown get up, wtf? and her queensguard was wearing solid black too, thought they were the white cloaks?

What was the point of Sam's gag-causing shit clean-up scene?

Why was Jon even having those discussions with Sansa? What does she know about anything? The show is really making me hate her....

Where was Jon's wolf? The whole cool thing about the Starks is that they always have a wolf by their sides, taking it away makes him less cool.

Would have been cooler if Dany landed on Dragonstone on dragonback, duh!

Why does Carol no longer care about her children? It's all she cared about for the first 6 seasons, now she's like 'idgaf'

Still dont understand how Theon and Asha went from WF to Meereen and now back to Dorne so fast, it's so dumb

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Damn is that true? They told NCW to just 'say the lines'?

Ohhhh I hate them

10 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Damn is that true? They told NCW to just 'say the lines'?

Ohhhh I hate them

Yeah, they did.

NCW: I guess I can be a pain in the butt. I have suggestions like an annoying actor and I have questions. I’ve just sensed this last season that this is their baby: 'Just say the words as they’re written, and shut up.'

http://time.com/4773892/game-of-thrones-jaime-lannister-nikolaj-coster-waldau/

4 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Yeah, they did.

NCW: I guess I can be a pain in the butt. I have suggestions like an annoying actor and I have questions. I’ve just sensed this last season that this is their baby: 'Just say the words as they’re written, and shut up.'

http://time.com/4773892/game-of-thrones-jaime-lannister-nikolaj-coster-waldau/

JFC man, you can tell he is holding back actually saying anything too bad about them in this interview

1 minute ago, Rhodan said:

lolzzzzz

2 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I agree

Yes, the scene with Cersei made no sense and was full of Larry has to love Carol, yet he (Nik) tried to portray disilluision. Too bad they included lines like "I'm not angry with you" which were so painful for the ones who like Jaime or Jaime and Brienne.

On 7/17/2017 at 0:12 PM, Cas Stark said:

It was okay, underwhelming.

-Pilau must have read some chapters because he was MUCH better this year than last year.  And so was his costume.

-Sandra Bolton is an awful and stupid person, Jon should put her under house arrest like Robb did his mother because she's a traitorous beast and still has terrible judgment.  And I'd say now that Sophie's acting has taken a dive or gone sideways, I thought she was pretty bad.

-LMAO they need to keep LF alive because otherwise the Knights of the Vale who have always hated him, and Royce who he threatened.....will leave.  Alrighty then.

-Why did we have a shit/soup 5 minute montage?  Was there a point to that?  God only knows how much time that nonsense took to edit.

-The Hound/BWB stuff was probably the best and I did like Arya's meeting with the Lannister soldiers.

-Dany return to Dragonstone was underwhelming also.  And "shall we begin" could not be more cliche of a line.  And those costumes...Dany, Missy, Tyrion are awful.  F. awful.

But, I did watch since due to spoilers felt it was fairly safe that no wolves or dragons would die....that is probably it for me.

completely agree with every word of this!

Sandra Bolton is so bad, like sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. Her character, her acting, her costume, her lines, her delivery, her purpose is all extremely fucking stupid.

On 7/17/2017 at 9:41 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

I wonder what gift will Euron give to CERSEI.

Cersei wants gifts. But the bst gift for Cersei is a wight. Everyone wants to hunt gifts for Cersei.

I laughed so hard when Jon said that they had to LOVE CERSEI.:lmao:

I assume its the dragon horn, D&D were like, 'oh shit, we've left that out up til now and we have no other writing from GRRM to go on, so lets back up into Book 4/5 and use more of his material, cuz obviously we have zero good ideas of our own'.

Euron the black leather wearing punk rocker and Carol plan on stealing a dragon is the only 'gift' I can think of.

And I thought it was hilarious that Euron openly mocked Larry and Carol in front of them "I have 2 good hands' i mean he was basically saying, in front of everyone, that Carol should stop banging her brother and bang Euron instead. 

and how the fuck does everyone in Westeros know everything else that's going on? how did larry and Carol know that Dany was on her way, but somehow Larry did not know that the IronBorn were on their way? Does Dany still have a spy in her midst? do they have the fucking internet? like how can D&D justify this mess?

Guys, these people never wrote any particularly good dialogue on their own. They always drew on something from George, or something based on one of his characters. But all the lines they themselves wrote - the not-funny jokes, the weird word games, the ridiculous side stories, etc. - are just silly and make no sense.

We don't need the actors to confirm this on screen. It is obvious. Very much so. Just go back to seasons where there is still a good mixture between George's scenes and characters and newly invented stuff.

And it is even more glaring when you take them sort of going along with George's story but completely creating their own dialogue (like those awful lines Tyrion and Varys get during their journey to Daenerys). You simply cannot watch this.

It is not them not succeeding at adapting a complex story. It is them simply not being able to create coherent characters or write dialogue that makes sense. It is that sad.

6 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Guys, these people never wrote any particularly good dialogue on their own. They always drew on something from George, or something based on one of his characters. But all the lines they themselves wrote - the not-funny jokes, the weird word games, the ridiculous side stories, etc. - are just silly and make no sense.

We don't need the actors to confirm this on screen. It is obvious. Very much so. Just go back to seasons where there is still a good mixture between George's scenes and characters and newly invented stuff.

And it is even more glaring when you take them sort of going along with George's story but completely creating their own dialogue (like those awful lines Tyrion and Varys get during their journey to Daenerys). You simply cannot watch this.

It is not them not succeeding at adapting a complex story. It is them simply not being able to create coherent characters or write dialogue that makes sense. It is that sad.

Really hard to argue with that, its what the evidence shows. Maybe the best we can hope for is luck with the way they create some sort of collage for any particular character? Cut and paste phrases from book stuff or even from previous seasons? The Hound scenes almost seemed like it was different writers than the rest of the episode. Was it just luck in that they cobbled together bits and pieces from the book and things the characters have said in previous seasons and it actually worked? It was so different than Jaime and Cercei, who are entirely D&D creations at this point.

Archived