What's the Series' Best Romantic Moment?

Yukle

3 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Oh, yes! Sam and Gilly, how coud I forget them! Their relationship is very romantic indeed. I really hope they will live happily.

Of course, Ygritte was more pushy, but if she wasn't, their relationship wouldn't have happen at all.

I wasn't necessarily referring to Ygritte's pushiness. More the fact that had Jon continued to refuse the wildlings would've known he had not forsaken his NW's vows.

3 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

I wasn't necessarily referring to Ygritte's pushiness. More the fact that had Jon continued to refuse the wildlings would've known he had not forsaken his NW's vows.

What if Ygritte wasn't his type;) I don't know who well the wildlings know about NW's vows. The NW can't have a wife or father children, but no staying celibate and most of them visit brothel in Mole's Town anyway.
I see your point, it was wise for Jon tohang out with Ygritte who was clearly attracted to him and was eager to protect him from her own people.

Ned and Cat's last scene together in LF's brothel, which is the last time they ever saw each other (alive)...

I also liked Jon and Ygritte's romance in general. Though my personal favourite in their story is not an erotic/romantic moment, but their debate about their respective cultures. It captures, I think, the essence of their relationship.

23 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

So a woman who has sex is what you call her? That is sexist.

Only Arianne's goal was to crown Myrcella not kill her.

How is that sexist? I disapprove of both men and women sleeping around, in equal measure. Also, this is the definition of 'harlot': a prostitute or promiscuous woman. Arianne is certainly promiscuous, and she could be considered a prostitute in that her payment is not money, but Arys' help in her plot. So, no, I won't call a woman who has sex a harlot, but a woman who sleeps around. It's quite literally the definition of a harlot.

The chance for Myrcella (and most of Dorne) to survive Arianne's reckless plot is incredibly low; at the very least, it puts her in grave danger, with very, very little chance for any reward. She was never going to become Queen with only the help of Dorne, which was all Arianne had when she put her plot into motion. So sure, while the goal wasn't to kill her, it was probably going to be the outcome.

1 hour ago, shizett said:

Cat's last monologue in Red Wedding, especially her last thought:

I suppose there is something there that could be considered romantic about how one of here last thoughts was of how she wanted to protect what Ned loved about her. But my take on the scene was those were only the random thoughts of someone who just had a psychotic break. The atmosphere of the scene, to me, does not produce any romantic undertones.

8 minutes ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

I suppose there is something there that could be considered romantic about how one of here last thoughts was of how she wanted to protect what Ned loved about her. But my take on the scene was those were only the random thoughts of someone who just had a psychotic break. The atmosphere of the scene, to me, does not produce any romantic undertones.

hmm. Given how she spent a night with Ned's corpse and how she is talking to Ned before this, it seems like she is keeping herself for when she meets Ned after death. I agree that she is having a psychotic break, but I think what she focuses on in that moment which is Ned and how she wants to stay pretty for him is romantic. It is not sweet and romantic, more like deeply and heartbreakingly romantic.

One that I can't believe I forgot about, given it's in my signature:

Rhaegar and Elia after Aegon's birth, as seen by Dany in the House of the Undying. It's a beautiful family scene, showing the melancholy between them, summing up the tragedy that comes afterwards.

"Will you make a song for him?"

To me, the exchange always sounded so longing. I think that Elia always knew her husband, this perfect man who everyone adored, wasn't in love with her. And yet here they were, raising a family together.

Ordinarily I'd dislike when the scene suddenly changes, but when Rhaegar says, "There must be one more... the dragon has three heads," I picture Elia shutting her teary eyes. Even now, when his newborn son is before him, Rhaegar cannot focus on his family, his thoughts are elsewhere, in books and prophecy and perhaps even thoughts of Lyanna.

It's a scene of unrequited love, perhaps the most damning live of all:

"He has a song... he is the prince that was promise and his is the song of ice and fire."

It implies that Rhaegar wrote songs for Elia and for Rhaenys but he doesn't for Aegon. It's symbolic of the way that Aegon grew up without his father's love - for the brief duration of his life. He was no more than a prophecy, and he died in violence while his father fought for the love of another woman. It's made all the more tragic when Aegon's memory is tarnished with the arrival of a false boy bearing his name.

I know it's characterised as a loveless marraige, but I think that Elia loved Rhaegar, and knew he didn't love her in return. And the grief contributed to her ill-health. This moment is the only window into their marriage, and even though it's one-sided romance, it's a beautiful scene.

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

One that I can't believe I forgot about, given it's in my signature:

Rhaegar and Elia after Aegon's birth, as seen by Dany in the House of the Undying. It's a beautiful family scene, showing the melancholy between them, summing up the tragedy that comes afterwards.

"Will you make a song for him?"

To me, the exchange always sounded so longing. I think that Elia always knew her husband, this perfect man who everyone adored, wasn't in love with her. And yet here they were, raising a family together.

Ordinarily I'd dislike when the scene suddenly changes, but when Rhaegar says, "There must be one more... the dragon has three heads," I picture Elia shutting her teary eyes. Even now, when his newborn son is before him, Rhaegar cannot focus on his family, his thoughts are elsewhere, in books and prophecy and perhaps even thoughts of Lyanna.

It's a scene of unrequited love, perhaps the most damning live of all:

"He has a song... he is the prince that was promise and his is the song of ice and fire."

It implies that Rhaegar wrote songs for Elia and for Rhaenys but he doesn't for Aegon. It's symbolic of the way that Aegon grew up without his father's love - for the brief duration of his life. He was no more than a prophecy, and he died in violence while his father fought for the love of another woman. It's made all the more tragic when Aegon's memory is tarnished with the arrival of a false boy bearing his name.

I know it's characterised as a loveless marraige, but I think that Elia loved Rhaegar, and knew he didn't love her in return. And the grief contributed to her ill-health. This moment is the only window into their marriage, and even though it's one-sided romance, it's a beautiful scene.

Elia surely loves and obeys Rhaegar. Oberyn said so too.

Everybody loves Rhaegar, right? You know, Lyanna, Cersei, JonCon, Lyanna, etc.

Rhaegar is GRRM's biggest Gary Stu. And Lyanna is his biggest Mary Sue.

Honestly, I felt GRRM did a not-so-good job on Rhaegar and Lyanna's story.

3 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Rhaegar is GRRM's biggest Gary Stu. And Lyanna is his biggest Mary Sue.

Honestly, I felt GRRM did a not-so-good job on Rhaegar and Lyanna's story.

I can see why you'd say it, I just disagree. I think it's a deliberate literary technique that has them remembered so fondly and perfectly because of the tragic manners of their deaths.

After all, as an audience we are treated to the version of the story that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna. It's us as readers who decided that's not probably what happened. Certainly, the version of events comes from Robert, but there may be truth to it. I don't think Rhaegar raped her, but I do think he probably kidnapped / coerced her, rather than simply them eloping.

And it was a selfish act to fracture his family's grip on power and plunge the Seven Kingdoms into war. He was the sponsor (probably) at the Tournament of Harrenhal, which almost certainly meant he was aware of the grievances and was trying to prevent a war.

1 minute ago, Yukle said:

I can see why you'd say it, I just disagree. I think it's a deliberate literary technique that has them remembered so fondly and perfectly because of the tragic manners of their deaths.

After all, as an audience we are treated to the version of the story that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna. It's us as readers who decided that's not probably what happened. Certainly, the version of events comes from Robert, but there may be truth to it. I don't think Rhaegar raped her, but I do think he probably kidnapped / coerced her, rather than simply them eloping.

And it was a selfish act to fracture his family's grip on power and plunge the Seven Kingdoms into war. He was the sponsor (probably) at the Tournament of Harrenhal, which almost certainly meant he was aware of the grievances and was trying to prevent a war.

Elia died in a more tragic manner, however nobody remembered fondly except her own brothers.

By common sense, no matter people think Rhaegar loved and eloped with Lyanna, or he kidnapped and raped Lyanna, people should speak bad of him. Because either way, he is an irresponsible and reckless ruler who put his personal desire in front of duty, and he caused a very bloody war which lead to thousands of people die without meaning.

Just like how people viewed about Paris of Troy. It is very negative.

However, GRRM decided to write in a twisted way, he knows that we feel Rhaegar did something wrong and should take at least part of the blame, but he forced his figures to say all good things about him, like he is a saint.

Why?

Simple, he had to make it controversial, then readers will be curious, will focus on this and it will be more interesting. So that he can sell more books. If everything makes sense, who will discuss and debate about it? what is the point of this forum?

That is how you want to write a book.

you can not make everything reasonable.

On 11/15/2016 at 10:22 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

There are several between Jon and Val. This is one of my favorites because it seems like something we have all experienced at least once in life (if we are lucky) and it is a pretty amazing feeling.:leer:

A Dance with Dragons - Jon X

"Two blasts," said Mully.
Black brothers, northmen, free folk, Thenns, queen's men, all of them fell quiet, listening. Five heartbeats passed. Ten. Twenty. Then Owen the Oaf tittered, and Jon Snow could breathe again. "Two blasts," he announced. "Wildlings." Val.

I may be wrong, but the breathlessness is caused by fear that another horn blast would occur, signaling that the Others were attacking. There is clearly romance/flirting between Jon and Val, but that quote is poor proof of it.  I would suggest the time Jon saw Val and Ghost together as a better example.

One blast, thought Jon Snow.  Rangers returning.

Then it came again.  The sound seemed to fill the cellar.

"Two blasts," said Mully.

Black brothers, northmen, free folk, Thenns, queen's men, all of them fell quiet, listening.  Five heartbeats passed.  Ten.  Twenty.  Then Owen the Oaf tittered, and Jon Snow could breathe again.  "Two blasts," he announced.  "Wildlings."  Val.

Not counting the Jon/Arya bromance* scene of Arya watching Jon leaving Winterfell, Jamie jumping into the bear pit to save Brienne is one one of my favorite romantic,and comedic, scenes.

*Yes I did intend to write bromance.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the phrase, it basically means a strong nonsexual relationship between two men.  I am aware Arya is not a man, but I am using her tomboyish nature as a loophole to make to work.  I could have used philia, but chose not to.

5 hours ago, Yet Another Stark Fan said:

I may be wrong, but the breathlessness is caused by fear that another horn blast would occur, signaling that the Others were attacking. There is clearly romance/flirting between Jon and Val, but that quote is poor proof of it.  I would suggest the time Jon saw Val and Ghost together as a better example.

Owen said "wildlings", but Jon thought Val. Jon was experiencing anticipation.

But yes, the scene where Ghost and Val emerge from the woods together and Jon thinks they look like they belong together is also pretty sweet! :cheers:

And Jaime joking with Brienne that, "he only rescues maidens," is romantic and funny. 

Jaime and Brienne are all over Tumblr are the most preferred romantic relationship that is yet to happen.

Except, of course, for Jon and Dany, which I am defs NOT on board for, nor is there any semblance of build up to in the books. Jon and Val, though... yeah! :D 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:06 PM, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

It's not erotic or sensual or anything like that, but the grandest romantic gesture I can think of in this series is the whole "The things I do for love" situation. It's one hell of a display of love and commitment. 

Other than that, I don't really know. I'm pretty prudish, so reading sex scenes makes me a little uncomfortable; I guess I'm not really the best judge here. I guess the Lord's Kiss scene with Jon and Ygritte is kind of cute, but Jon's inner conflict about the whole relationship makes me feel a little awkward.

I can't stand Arianne and Arys' relationship. She really doesn't seem to care for him, which makes the whole situation very, very sad. He broke his vows with some harlot whose only interest in him was his useful position in her scheme to essentially kill his princess, and he died for it, too. Poor guy.

I do love this, though. Very touching.

One other touching romantic gesture is Littlefinger's duel with Brandon Stark for Catelyn's affections. It's sweet, really; he had no chance, yet he tried despite this. Of course, it was also foolish. Utterly, utterly foolish, especially from so intelligent a man. Young and in love, a recipe for disaster.

As a side note, I can relate to this so very, very much.

Arianne did care for Arys, as she showed in her reaction to his death.  But, she was undoubtedly manipulating him, in their scene together in the bedroom.  However, her fears (that she had been disinherited) were genuine, and appeared to be backed up by evidence.  Nor was she scheming to kill Myrcella.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 3:44 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

So a woman who has sex is what you call her? That is sexist.

Only Arianne's goal was to crown Myrcella not kill her.

Jon and Val’s lovestory. From him stealing her to her becoming the true Queen consort and saving him their love story is one of the best examples of chivalric romance in asoiaf.

She didn't want to kill Myrcella (indeed was angry at the suggestion).  But, she was clearly placing Myrcella in danger.  Arianne's problem is a degree of wishful thinking.  She thinks she can carry out her coup without being people killed, when plainly people are going to have to be killed.  Darkstar sees that more clearly.

Jaime rescuing Brienne. Everything from Jaime galloping like a stupid prince charming, "What are you doing?" "Something stupid. Get behind me.", "I only rescue maidens" to "I dreamed of you.".

Jaime knocking out Red Ronnet's teeth.

And I giggle like a little girl every time Ramsay reminds us that Theon is his reek.

If I had to pick a sex scene, it would have to be Lord's Kiss.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

She didn't want to kill Myrcella (indeed was angry at the suggestion).  But, she was clearly placing Myrcella in danger.  Arianne's problem is a degree of wishful thinking.  She thinks she can carry out her coup without being people killed, when plainly people are going to have to be killed.  Darkstar sees that more clearly.

I never said that what she did was right or that she didn't endangered Myrcella. I just said that she didn't wanted to kill her.

On 16/11/2016 at 5:38 PM, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

How is that sexist? I disapprove of both men and women sleeping around, in equal measure. Also, this is the definition of 'harlot': a prostitute or promiscuous woman. Arianne is certainly promiscuous, and she could be considered a prostitute in that her payment is not money, but Arys' help in her plot. So, no, I won't call a woman who has sex a harlot, but a woman who sleeps around. It's quite literally the definition of a harlot.

Even if it is the definition I hate to say that but it is still sexist.

@The Fattest Leech & @Yet Another Stark Fan about Val and Jon love story

My favorite and smaller in order not to delay the thread are;

Their breath mingled, a white mist in the air

Then Ghost emerged from between two trees, with Val beside him. They look as though they belong together.

You have my word, Lord Snow. I will be a proper wildling princess for your queen.

if anyone cares he or she could read this;

There are two more parts.

20 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I never said that what she did was right or that she didn't endangered Myrcella. I just said that she didn't wanted to kill her.

Even if it is the definition I hate to say that but it is still sexist.

@The Fattest Leech & @Yet Another Stark Fan about Val and Jon love story

My favorite and smaller in order not to delay the thread are;

if anyone cares he or she could read this;

There are two more parts.

Sorry to be off topic, but I highly doubt Val would be Jon's queen.

She probably can get into his bed as a lover or something like that, but at some point she will be gone to make Jon available for Dany (likely).

Archived