What's the Series' Best Romantic Moment?

Yukle

When speaking to my unsullied friend who said it was a bit of a bummer to have to wait for the next season of the show to air (to which I had to give a falsely sincere smile), she asked if the books are as erotic as the show. I hesitated a bit, because the answer is sort of; I think that the show does include erotic scenes that are from the books, but the ratio is not quite the same.

Then I couldn't help but chuckle a bit: maybe it's just because I was so much younger when I started reading the series but I just find it hard to take most of the scenes seriously. Hanging out on these forums for so long, I think that the phrase, "fat pink mast" has pretty much spoiled things for me, too. :P 

But it also got me thinking: are there any erotic scenes (not necessarily sex scenes, just anything romantic or sensual) that I actually like?

I can only really think of think of three that left me feeling, "Now that was good..."

* Arianne and Arys. Probably one of only a few moments in aFFC that I really love. It feels natural without being ridiculous or feeling like Mills and Boon.

* Dany's relationship with Irri - not the bit on the boat, but a much more subtle throwaway line when she remarks that Irri's kisses were chaste and out of duty. I have no idea why I like that comment so much; maybe just because I suddenly pictured their tangles of hair and sometimes it's just better to let your audience's imagination do the work?

* Loras' beautiful comment that, "When the sun has set, no candle can replace it." I just think that was such a pretty line. :) 

I like to think that I know the series well, but they're the ones that really stand out to me and I can't think of others that I really enjoyed. Then again, I could be forgetting some...

What's your favourite romantic scene?

It's not erotic or sensual or anything like that, but the grandest romantic gesture I can think of in this series is the whole "The things I do for love" situation. It's one hell of a display of love and commitment. 

Other than that, I don't really know. I'm pretty prudish, so reading sex scenes makes me a little uncomfortable; I guess I'm not really the best judge here. I guess the Lord's Kiss scene with Jon and Ygritte is kind of cute, but Jon's inner conflict about the whole relationship makes me feel a little awkward.

I can't stand Arianne and Arys' relationship. She really doesn't seem to care for him, which makes the whole situation very, very sad. He broke his vows with some harlot whose only interest in him was his useful position in her scheme to essentially kill his princess, and he died for it, too. Poor guy.

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

Loras' beautiful comment that, "When the sun has set, no candle can replace it."

I do love this, though. Very touching.

One other touching romantic gesture is Littlefinger's duel with Brandon Stark for Catelyn's affections. It's sweet, really; he had no chance, yet he tried despite this. Of course, it was also foolish. Utterly, utterly foolish, especially from so intelligent a man. Young and in love, a recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

When speaking to my unsullied friend who said it was a bit of a bummer to have to wait for the next season of the show to air (to which I had to give a falsely sincere smile)

As a side note, I can relate to this so very, very much.

5 hours ago, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

with some harlot

So a woman who has sex is what you call her? That is sexist.

5 hours ago, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

to essentially kill his princess

Only Arianne's goal was to crown Myrcella not kill her.

Jon and Val’s lovestory. From him stealing her to her becoming the true Queen consort and saving him their love story is one of the best examples of chivalric romance in asoiaf.

It was difficult to think about a moment I would call romantic though ASOIAF is full of romance. The thing is that no love story in the series is about love itself, there are a lot of other things mixed in and it spoils a perfect moment every time. Cat & Ned after sex dialogue would be romantic if they won't talk about Ned becoming the Hand and Sansa's betrothal. Jaime & Cersei share a lot of moments together, but the cringe factor of this relationship tops all the romantic side.Tyrion's thoughts about Shae are full of passion, but he's eagerness to be loved and appreciated always lingers and it's clear that Shae doesn't feel the same. Sansa and the Hound share some intense moments but they are hardly romantic. Jon & Ygritte are passionate too, but we know about his double game and his lies. And so on.

20 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Cat & Ned after sex dialogue would be romantic if they won't talk about Ned becoming the Hand and Sansa's betrothal. 

I agree! This moment was so close to being a really great story about a husband and wife, from the perspective of them being quite normal people.

Then, just before it could get really touching, BAM, politics.

And come to think of it, Jon and Ygritte really had their moments. Their last parting was touching.

7 minutes ago, Yukle said:

And come to think of it, Jon and Ygritte really had their moments. Their last parting was touching.

Indeed. I really like Jon & Ygritte though their relationship was bittersweet from the beginning because we know that Jon is lying:(

Don't get me wrong, I think all the romances real or hinted are sincere, but all of them are far from "normally" romantic. Probably except Robb and Jayne, but they are so boring and we know what happened afterwards

1 hour ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

It was difficult to think about a moment I would call romantic though ASOIAF is full of romance. The thing is that no love story in the series is about love itself, there are a lot of other things mixed in and it spoils a perfect moment every time. Cat & Ned after sex dialogue would be romantic if they won't talk about Ned becoming the Hand and Sansa's betrothal. Jaime & Cersei share a lot of moments together, but the cringe factor of this relationship tops all the romantic side.Tyrion's thoughts about Shae are full of passion, but he's eagerness to be loved and appreciated always lingers and it's clear that Shae doesn't feel the same. Sansa and the Hound share some intense moments but they are hardly romantic. Jon & Ygritte are passionate too, but we know about his double game and his lies. And so on.

Had all those thoughts too.

How about, though not sexual, Sam's talk with Gilly after avoiding her for a few days after Aemon's funeral. Very heartfelt, as far as fictional characters can be.

I always loved this line. "You’re mine. Mine, as I’m yours. And if we die, we die. All men must die, Jon Snow. But first we’ll live." This perfectly sums up Ygritte's perspective of living for the moment, even as Jon's sense of duty conflicts with his feelings for her. Then Ygritte cupping Jon's face as she says they never should have left the cave as she dies was just beautiful and tragic.

By default the only two romantic relationships we really get to see from start to finish(or in progress) are Jon/Ygritte and Sam/Gilly. Sometimes Sam and Gilly felt a bit forced, and the payoff was a bit silly with the thick pink past, but I always loved the notion of the underdog Sam winning over Gilly despite it all.

Some other snippets I always enjoyed:

As mentioned Loras' comment about no candle replacing the sunset. He always was a romantic at heart even from the few scenes of his that we really see fleshed out.

Jaime rescuing Brienne from the bear. This one is assuming there is a payoff between the two of them, but this is really the moment where Jaime seems to start turning around and acknowledging his feelings for Brienne in some manner. Coincidentally it's the most knightly action I've seen in the series.

Jon and Val seem to have a very subtle romance going, though it's unclear if there will be a payoff. You could make an argument that Jon did already steal her away when he took the wildlings prisoner. Jon seems to have longing thoughts for her, and she keeps returning to his side and helping him though she doesn't have to. The fact that Jon doesn't take her hand when offered it by Stannis only seems to add that he respects her as a person and thinks more of her than a bargaining chip.

Despite how creepy it is, Jaime's unwavering devotion to Cersei, unrequited as it may be, can be considered romantic. Even if one of my favorite moments in the series is when he burns her letter.

Dany seeming to embrace and fall for Drogo despite the entire forced marriage an rape bit. A testament to Martin's writing that you can feel sympathetic towards Drogo despite how things started.

Robb marrying Jeyne Westerling, putting his kingdom's honor aside for the sake of her honor. So Stark like, so romantic, so dumb.

Littlefinger challenging Brandon Stark to a duel for Catelyn. Despite how foolish and unrequited this was, it was a romantic gesture without a doubt taking on a man whom he stands no chance against. Unfortunately his epic failure at this is in large what shaped him into the man he became.

Despite how ill advised this was, Rhaegar giving Lyanna a crown of winter roses at the tournament at Harrenhall was always a favorite moment of mine.

7 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

In all seriousness, and putting aside anyone's issues with age, I think the wedding night scene with Dany and Drogo was probably the most romantic.

Actually this very very true. You have to try hard to ignore the age issue but if you're objective about and just try to imagine two random (adult) people (personally I go with the actors from the show) it's actually a really nice scene.

1 hour ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Indeed. I really like Jon & Ygritte though their relationship was bittersweet from the beginning because we know that Jon is lying:(

Don't get me wrong, I think all the romances real or hinted are sincere, but all of them are far from "normally" romantic. Probably except Robb and Jayne, but they are so boring and we know what happened afterwards

I think Jon and Ygritte are probably the best example of romance in the books for me. Mostly because it wasn't an arranged thing and no one was forced into it(one could argue Jon was but I don't think so at least not in the sense that Dany was forced into hers). And they also have genuine feelings for each other. And that's the thing Jon wasn't lying about his feelings for Ygritte. In fact, the most romantic part is that he fell in love with despite himself.

There are several between Jon and Val. This is one of my favorites because it seems like something we have all experienced at least once in life (if we are lucky) and it is a pretty amazing feeling.:leer:

A Dance with Dragons - Jon X

"Two blasts," said Mully.
Black brothers, northmen, free folk, Thenns, queen's men, all of them fell quiet, listening. Five heartbeats passed. Ten. Twenty. Then Owen the Oaf tittered, and Jon Snow could breathe again. "Two blasts," he announced. "Wildlings." Val.

6 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Despite how ill advised this was, Rhaegar giving Lyanna a crown of winter roses at the tournament at Harrenhall was always a favorite moment of mine.

I knew I'd forgotten something obvious! This was incredible!

It's tinged with true love - the way he passed over his wife, a political marriage (although I still feel bad for Elia) to crown Lyanna. And, of course, how could I forget?! Rhaegar's last word is, "Lyanna." 

Assuming, of course, it was her name he said.

Which it totally was. :P

6 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I always loved this line. "You’re mine. Mine, as I’m yours. And if we die, we die. All men must die, Jon Snow. But first we’ll live." This perfectly sums up Ygritte's perspective of living for the moment, even as Jon's sense of duty conflicts with his feelings for her. Then Ygritte cupping Jon's face as she says they never should have left the cave as she dies was just beautiful and tragic.

I'm really liking this thread, I have no idea what I'd forgotten about these moments. To be honest, romance is the one thing that the show does consistently better than the books. Robb/Talisa was better than Robb/Jeyne. And even though it was totes contrived, it was really sweet how Ygritte died in Jon's arms.

But this has reminded me - it was just as touching in the books, too. At least, Jon and Ygritte was.

16 minutes ago, Yukle said:

I'm really liking this thread, I have no idea what I'd forgotten about these moments. To be honest, romance is the one thing that the show does consistently better than the books. Robb/Talisa was better than Robb/Jeyne. And even though it was totes contrived, it was really sweet how Ygritte died in Jon's arms.

But this has reminded me - it was just as touching in the books, too. At least, Jon and Ygritte was.

Well to be fair to Robb in the books, it's hard to set a romantic vibe when you're hearing about it from his mother's POV who thinks he's screwing up. :P

9 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

How about, though not sexual, Sam's talk with Gilly after avoiding her for a few days after Aemon's funeral. Very heartfelt, as far as fictional characters can be.

Oh, yes! Sam and Gilly, how coud I forget them! Their relationship is very romantic indeed. I really hope they will live happily.

8 hours ago, Maxxine said:

I think Jon and Ygritte are probably the best example of romance in the books for me. Mostly because it wasn't an arranged thing and no one was forced into it(one could argue Jon was but I don't think so at least not in the sense that Dany was forced into hers). And they also have genuine feelings for each other. And that's the thing Jon wasn't lying about his feelings for Ygritte. In fact, the most romantic part is that he fell in love with despite himself.

Of course, Ygritte was more pushy, but if she wasn't, their relationship wouldn't have happen at all.

Archived