What's the Series' Best Romantic Moment?

Yukle

8 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

Lyanna's death seems to be very tragically beautiful and romantic and touching.

Surrounded by roses, a lot of rose petals flowing from her hands, and a lot of rose petals flying in the bloody sky, blablabla, Mary Sue Lyanna died like a blue rose herself.......her weak voice (probably murmuring Rhaegar's name when she died, or something like: oh, my silver prince), even her fever seems to be romantic as well.

Wait? she just gave birth to a baby (and not by c-section)?

Isn't that Ned's dream, though? I don't think it happened like that; his dream is symbolic, much as all of the other dreams in the series.

In all likelihood she died in childbirth due to the usual unromantic reasons: infection, loss of blood pressure or heart failure.

Ned's memory of her is romantic, but I think that's perfectly natural. As for what she whispered, we know that: it wasn't Rhaegar's name, it was, "Promise me, Ned."

Her last action was for her son, not Rhaegar, and I think that's a perfectly natural thing for a dying mother to do.

On 11/17/2016 at 0:12 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Because judging by Jon's lofty standards with his prior relationship and his tendency to grab rank and position at every chance he's offered, clearly Jon's after the highest born bride possible. :P

I just don't see Jon and Dany having enough in common to be attracted to one another beyond physically. Dany's going to see the bastard son of one of the Usurper's dogs and Jon is going to see the power hungry sister of the man who raped and murdered his aunt. And as JQC pointed out, just because the show seems to be broadcasting this, in my opinion to cater to the fans, doesn't mean the novels are going the same way at all.

If it is not so tragically romantic and beautiful, why can Ned dream it in a romantic way? 

Since when man has a romantic fantasy about child-birth? 

obviously GRRM thinks Lyanna's death should be very romantic and beautiful, that is why he wrote Ned's dream in that way. 

11 hours ago, The Prince Of Tatters said:

Areo Hotah sleeping with his axe every night.

In a more serious note I did find Arya's jealousy at Gendy getting attention from another girl quite endearing, "Why don’t you go back to Stoney Sept and ring that girl’s stupid bells?”

HAHAH.

Yes, Arya and Gendry are adorable.

Most stand-out romantic moment for me is probably Renly's grief. Not sweet romantic, obviously, but the "When the sun has set, no candle can replace it" bit? Gosh that poor boy <3

On 17/11/2016 at 11:25 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

Also the descriptives throughout their skirmish in the water before Vargo finds them. The whole scene is filled with imagery of "swords" and "red flowers blooming", and then this...

"Brienne lurched to her feet. She was all mud and blood below the waist, her clothing askew, her face red. She looks as if they caught us fucking instead of fighting."

I love this too. I think it's the best "sex scene" in the series.

On 11/17/2016 at 11:21 PM, SeanF said:

Arianne did care for Arys, as she showed in her reaction to his death.  But, she was undoubtedly manipulating him, in their scene together in the bedroom.  However, her fears (that she had been disinherited) were genuine, and appeared to be backed up by evidence.  Nor was she scheming to kill Myrcella.

Being upset because someone you know was decapitated in front of you is not the same as caring for someone. Not wanting someone you know to be killed is not the same as caring for them. She consistently toyed with his emotions in order to fulfill her own goals. Arys was deeply in love with Arianne, enough for him to completely forsake his vows for her; this from someone who disapproved of his brothers for breaking their vow of chastity. She manipulated him, telling him that she'll have Myrcella release him of his vows, so he could marry Arianne, despite the fact that she had absolutely no intention of marrying him. She manipulated him constantly, with not a care as to how he'd be affected by it. He was simply a tool for her to use, to get what she wanted. He would've been emotionally destroyed if he found out the truth. You don't do that to people you care for. Ergo, she didn't care.

On 11/17/2016 at 11:21 PM, SeanF said:

She didn't want to kill Myrcella (indeed was angry at the suggestion).  But, she was clearly placing Myrcella in danger.  Arianne's problem is a degree of wishful thinking.  She thinks she can carry out her coup without being people killed, when plainly people are going to have to be killed.  Darkstar sees that more clearly.

This is to what I was referring. This is why I didn't say she plotted to kill Myrcella, and said that she essentially plotted to kill her. In that, her plot places her in grave danger, with the likely outcome being her death. She may as well have been plotting her death, as that was going to be the result. That's what I was alluding to.

On 11/18/2016 at 3:42 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Even if it is the definition I hate to say that but it is still sexist.

I apologise if I've offended you, but I still have no idea how it's sexist. What I said was supposed to convey my disapproval of promiscuous behaviour. I feel it does so. Never did I mention that I disapproved of what she was doing because she's a woman. Her sex has literally nothing to do with my disapproval, nor did it have anything to do with how I expressed my disapproval, except for the fact that the word harlot is seen to describe only women. Here's the definition of 'sexism', by the way: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex. There was prejudice and discrimination, sure, but it had nothing to do with her being a woman, it was about her whorish behaviour, and I'd feel such if she were a man, too.

More on topic, however, I've always enjoyed Roose Bolton (doubt you thought anyone'd talk about Roose Bolton in this thread) when he's talking about his Frey wife:

I have become oddly fond of my fat little wife.

It's not really super romantic or anything, but it's kind of sweet that big bad Roose Bolton is somehow becoming fond of someone he only married for money. I don't know, it's cute. Not exactly a series' best, but I really like it, and I figured it'd be nice to actually contribute a bit to the thread rather than just veering completely off topic.

A Game of Thrones - Sansa VI

"What … what does he want? Please, tell me."

"He wants you to smile and smell sweet and be his lady love," the Hound rasped. "He wants to hear you recite all your pretty little words the way the septa taught you. He wants you to love him … and fear him."

To me this is a little under rated passage.  We're supposed to think the Hound is referring to Joffrey, but that actually makes no sense.  Joffrey doesn't want to see Sansa smile.  He enjoys seeing her cry.  Joffrey doesn't care what she has to say and thinks most of what she does say is stupid.  He doesn't care about her feelings at all.  The Hound is referring to himself.  Despite all his rude posturing and mocking her pretty words, deep down he's revealing it's what he likes about her.  It's not just a sexual attraction.  He wants to see her smile, he wants her love, and he enjoys her sweetness and femininity.  The last part about fearing him is tacked on after a pause to make it sound like he's talking about Joffrey.  Very deftly done there, Sandor ;) 

Not just a moment but Cat and Ned's love story gets me every time. Their pairing is what we'd call the MOC (marriage of convenience) trope that ended up being a true romance.

Also Jon/Ygritte and Arya/Gendry. Rhaegar and Lyanna, I wouldn't call what they have romance though. More like tragedy similar to that of Romeo and Juliet.

On 11/15/2016 at 6:19 AM, Yukle said:

When speaking to my unsullied friend who said it was a bit of a bummer to have to wait for the next season of the show to air (to which I had to give a falsely sincere smile), she asked if the books are as erotic as the show. I hesitated a bit, because the answer is sort of; I think that the show does include erotic scenes that are from the books, but the ratio is not quite the same.

Then I couldn't help but chuckle a bit: maybe it's just because I was so much younger when I started reading the series but I just find it hard to take most of the scenes seriously. Hanging out on these forums for so long, I think that the phrase, "fat pink mast" has pretty much spoiled things for me, too. :P 

But it also got me thinking: are there any erotic scenes (not necessarily sex scenes, just anything romantic or sensual) that I actually like?

I can only really think of think of three that left me feeling, "Now that was good..."

* Arianne and Arys. Probably one of only a few moments in aFFC that I really love. It feels natural without being ridiculous or feeling like Mills and Boon.

* Dany's relationship with Irri - not the bit on the boat, but a much more subtle throwaway line when she remarks that Irri's kisses were chaste and out of duty. I have no idea why I like that comment so much; maybe just because I suddenly pictured their tangles of hair and sometimes it's just better to let your audience's imagination do the work?

* Loras' beautiful comment that, "When the sun has set, no candle can replace it." I just think that was such a pretty line. :) 

I like to think that I know the series well, but they're the ones that really stand out to me and I can't think of others that I really enjoyed. Then again, I could be forgetting some...

What's your favourite romantic scene?

This may show me to be a bit of a soft touch--and it isn't a single moment--but Brienne letting go of her childhood love of Renly as she realizes that she loves Jamie is very romantic and in a sad way.

too much mush. I'll toss in some crude lulz to balance it out.

The way Rose conceived Ramsay. What with the swaying shadow of the man he had just hanged going back and forth over him and the newly made widow he was raping 

8 hours ago, TRLR said:

... Arya/Gendry...

A few people have said that now. I still read it as just friendly, or even fraternal (since Arya is a tomboy, that's a fitting word, eh?).

Am I alone in this? :P

@Yukle Tomboys have crushes too.  She's just very young and she thinks crushes are stupid and mushy things her sister likes.  She stumbled upon feelings that are more than just friendship before she's old enough to name it a crush.  Still checks him out though ...  

As she passed the armory, Arya heard the ring of a hammer. A deep orange glow shone through the high windows. She climbed to the roof and peeked down. Gendry was beating out a breastplate. When he worked, nothing existed for him but metal, bellows, fire. The hammer was like part of his arm. She watched the play of muscles in his chest and listened to the steel music he made. He's strong, she thought. As he took up the long-handled tongs to dip the breastplate into the quenching trough, Arya slithered through the window and leapt down to the floor beside him.

That's some sexy language there describing the way he works ending in a "quenching."  :D

@Blue-Eyed Wolf I suppose... Maybe I just can't put aside the fact they're related.

Even though I, for some unknown reason, don't find it Aegon's relationships with his sisters weird, nor Brynden and Shiera (at least, what we know of them).

I know - I'm a hypocrite in this matter! :P 

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of Jaime leaping into the bear pit to save Brienne. Also as others mentioned him knocking out Red Ronnet's teeth to defend Brienne even though Brienne was nowhere around and would probably never find out about it. (have you ever noticed it's like how  you are with your own family...you can say whatever you want about them...which Jaime does to Red Ronnet but as soon as R.R starts talking meanly about her...SMACK!!)

1 hour ago, Jaime4Brienne said:

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of Jaime leaping into the bear pit to save Brienne. 

Yes, this is probably the best romantic scene, if I have to choose one. But J/B have provided tons of romantic parts. From the one @ravenous reader said

On 17/11/2016 at 11:57 PM, ravenous reader said:

'Returned safely to King's Landing by Brienne, the Maid of Tarth.'

to many little details/hints. 

Probably Red Ronnet's scene would win for the Best Jealousy Scene. :P

@Yukle Gendry and Arya aren't related. He's Robert Baratheon's bastard. ;) When the betrothal between Sansa and Joffrey is proposed, Robert says "I have a son. You have a daughter."  He might have unwittingly foreshadowed a different son and daughter.  He also said of Sansa "get her a dog. She'll be happier for it."  All hail King Robert, first of his name, lord of ships :lol:

1 hour ago, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

@Yukle Gendry and Arya aren't related. He's Robert Baratheon's bastard. ;) When the betrothal between Sansa and Joffrey is proposed, Robert says "I have a son. You have a daughter."  He might have unwittingly foreshadowed a different son and daughter.  He also said of Sansa "get her a dog. She'll be happier for it."  All hail King Robert, first of his name, lord of ships :lol:

Sorry, I was getting confused between posts - one post was about Arya / Jon and another Arya / Gendry and it was late at night and my brain is frazzled. :P

Archived