Fate of House Baratheon

ShimShim

3 hours ago, Nyrhex said:

Edric was a good lad, and Stannis gives us that he charms everyone he meets. But that's about it. He lives in delusion that Robert gave a shit about him and Stannis did not have the heart to tell him otherwise.

I don't see what Edric's delusions about Robert have to do with anything.

The premise was that if the ultimate ruler wants the House of Baratheon to continue, then Edric would be my best logical guess after Shireen. I don't see any reason to award it to Gendry or Belle or Mya over Edric. Edric is acknowledged and nobly born and raised. He is already known by the people there.

However, I do agree that it's unlikely the Baratheon House continues. Just give the lands and honor to another House and be done with it.

10 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

Except Aegon II didn't execute Gaemon Palehair and his mother for the same crime Trystane committed. This, combined with the fact that Trys was knighted before his death, sort of implies that Trys is actually Viserys' bastard.

He executed mother of Gaemon Palehair, and Gaemon itself was just little child. Essie also confirmed that he wasn't bastard of Aegon II, but some common oarsman from Lys. And knighthood before execution does not prove anything. If he really was Viserys bastard, then Aegon II would rather sent him to nightswatch to avoid killing his kin (Well, he killed Rhenyra but she was his enemy during war, and because of her and her husband's actions he lost both sons). We also don't have any evidence that Viserys cheated on Alicent.

7 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

He executed mother of Gaemon Palehair, and Gaemon itself was just little child. Essie also confirmed that he wasn't bastard of Aegon II, but some common oarsman from Lys. And knighthood before execution does not prove anything. If he really was Viserys bastard, then Aegon II would rather sent him to nightswatch to avoid killing his kin (Well, he killed Rhenyra but she was his enemy during war, and because of her and her husband's actions he lost both sons). We also don't have any evidence that Viserys cheated on Alicent.

If Trys was just a random bastard that Aegon was going to execute then why give him the honor of a knighthood. Why spare Gaemon and not Trys?

Aegon, at this point, doesn't really give a damn about kinslaying. He killed Rhaenyra, who was his sister, for trying to 'usurp' his crown and didn't care about the kinslaying aspect. So even if Trys is his brother, Aegon wouldn't have cared enough to send him to the wall. He might, however, do his brother the honor of knighting him before killing him. Furthermore, he was willing to kill Aegon the Younger, so clearly his motive for leaving Gaemon alive wasn't that he "was just a little child". He spared Gaemon because Gaemon wasn't actually a Targ bastard and therefore was not actually a threat. Trys was executed despite only doing the same as Gaemon, so therefore Aegon must have seen Trys as a threat to his rule. Which means there is a strong chance Trys is actually Viserys kid.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

I don't see what Edric's delusions about Robert have to do with anything.

The premise was that if the ultimate ruler wants the House of Baratheon to continue, then Edric would be my best logical guess after Shireen. I don't see any reason to award it to Gendry or Belle or Mya over Edric. Edric is acknowledged and nobly born and raised. He is already known by the people there.

However, I do agree that it's unlikely the Baratheon House continues. Just give the lands and honor to another House and be done with it.

Yes, if someone would want to have House Baratheon continue, he or she'd legitimize Edric. Having Gendry continue House Baratheon is fanfiction, and like any other bastard of Robert he has not been recognized (except for Mya, but she's a girl which is always problematic in Westerosi succession).

However, the more important question would be who would want to continue House Baratheon? I'd say Stannis, but if he were still alive he'd continue it through Shireen or a possible son he'd have in the future. Maybe if she had died, but still it's a stretch. Dany would be happy with the Baratheons dead. Aegon wouldn't care much, and would likely want to give Storm's End to his biggest supporter: JonCon. Jon might not be averse to the idea, but I can't see a reason he would do it either. If the Lannisters keep the throne, however unlikely that is, Tommen and/or Myrcella would continue the line without actually having Baratheon blood, so the Baratheons would still die out in that case. Cersei hated Robert, and surely wouldn't have one of his bastards legitimized. Euron wouldn't care, Doran wouldn't care, Sweetrobin wouldn't care, etc etc.

2 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

If Trys was just a random bastard that Aegon was going to execute then why give him the honor of a knighthood. Why spare Gaemon and not Trys?

Aegon, at this point, doesn't really give a damn about kinslaying. He killed Rhaenyra, who was his sister, for trying to 'usurp' his crown and didn't care about the kinslaying aspect. So even if Trys is his brother, Aegon wouldn't have cared enough to send him to the wall. He might, however, do his brother the honor of knighting him before killing him. Furthermore, he was willing to kill Aegon the Younger, so clearly his motive for leaving Gaemon alive wasn't that he "was just a little child". He spared Gaemon because Gaemon wasn't actually a Targ bastard and therefore was not actually a threat. Trys was executed despite only doing the same as Gaemon, so therefore Aegon must have seen Trys as a threat to his rule. Which means there is a strong chance Trys is actually Viserys kid.

Trystane was 17 years old. He was grown man for whom there was no excuse for treason. He had to be punished for trying to usurp Aegon's crown. Gaemon on other hand was only 4 years old and was only tool of his mother who ended up hanged.

Also timeline doesn't fit. Trys was born in 113 AC and by this year Viserys was still pretty happy with his wife. His youngest son Daeron for example was born in 114 AC so he clearly still slept with Alicent.

10 minutes ago, devilish said:

Aegon is for Danny what Orys was for Aegon the conquerer. I can see Aegon being declared as a Blackfyre by Danny only for him to marry Shireen and gain the Lordship of the Stormlands. 

They do not even know each other. Aegon wants crown, not Stormlands.

I think if both Stannis and Shireen die, Edric would be the most suitable to inherit Storm's End.

He can read and write, he has a noble father and noble mother, he probably knows a lot of the servants of Storm's End and he might know a few other nobles of the Stormlands as well and he is the only formally acknowledged bastard of Robert (I don't know if Mya has been formally acknowledged or if anyone important knows about her).

Gendry, however, can't read nor write, he only has one noble parent, he doesn't know anyone from the Stormlands and he has not even been acknowledged by Robert. Heck, he as of right now doesn't even know he is Robert's himself.

But in regards to Edric inheriting Storm's End, it would of course require a legitimisation, which I don't see why anyone would give him. His father usurped the Iron Throne from the Targaryens, so fAegon and Dany may not legitimise him, not just out of spite for the Baratheons, but also because he could be a threat to their rule (Robert having been king for approximately 15 years and Rhaelle being his great-grandmother, which also helped Robert take the throne with a claim).

However, I do think that Edric could gain a legitimisation from at least fAegon, if the theory that Aurane Waters has him and is going to join fAegon is true. By being with Aurane who intends to join fAegon, Edric may join fAegon too and help him win the throne. It is known that those who help fight in wars are often very greatly rewarded. So if Edric were to join fAegon and fAegon's conquest is succesful, Edric may be legitimised.

And this does kind of make sense, as since we have no guarantee that Stannis is going to die in the next book, legitimising Edric and giving him Storm's End and make him Lord Paramount of the Stormlands would take a lot of Stannis' lands away. Plus, Edric being Robert's would take away more than Stannis' claim to Storm's End, it might also take away his claim to the Iron Throne (that is, if he is going to take fAegon's rule seriously).

But then again, I see no reason why any of this should happen.

17 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

<snip>

I think that's a very plausible scenario - my question for it is, "why wouldn't FAegon honor him in a way that doesn't present a threat?". He could, without ever legitimizing Edric, make him a Kingsguard, or give him a profitable position high in the Gold Cloaks, or use him to found a new house by giving some minor lands and arranging a marriage to a minor noblewoman without many claims of her own. In each scenario, he can reward Edric while minimizing the chance that Edric or his descendants prove troublesome over their claims to the Iron Throne or Storm's End.

House Baratheon was founded by a bastard friend/relative (? on my phone, can't remember exact relationship between Aegon and Orys) of the conqueror marrying the daughter and heir of the last Storm King. The Durrandon name died out, but the Baratheons adopted most if not all of the family's characteristics (sigil, words, etc.). Perhaps it will continue under similar circumstances?  The only caveat of course is the greyscale...

On 15.11.2016 at 6:56 PM, Scorpion92 said:

The only person with Baratheon blood left standing by the end of the story will be Ser Gendry 'the Bull', who I think will be indifferent to Baratheon name and actually take Stark name and pass it to his children with Arya (if they hook up by the end). 

And since the new Westerosi realm after Long Night will have completely new political and social system, I do not think there will be any need for a Baratheon at the end, thus, I believe the house will go extinct, just like many other great houses for one reason or another. And frankly, it will not matter, because bloodlines and feudalism are bound to be replaced by something new in my opinion.

I foresee only Starks and Lannisters surviving (and ruling together through Tyrion and Sansa) and carrying on the names (through Jaime's kids by Brienne, and Jon's son by Dany and Arya's children with Gendry). Every other great house will die out eventually.

There is a lot of Tyrells,  so the Tyrells will continue. 

Well, someone would have to raise Edric to legitimacy, they would never do that for Gendry, unless Sansa ends up on the throne and wants her sister married to a bastard blacksmith, who knows, she's coming around on things.

I don't love Sansa, but I presume the series ends with her on the throne. Virgin Queen and all that.

Gendry is no Baratheon, he is a bastard no one even knows. Sure, he has black hair and people who knew Robert think he looks similiar, but that's not going to convince any lord of his parentage, much less of legitimizing him. If Stannis line dies, Edric should inherit Storm's End, not Gendry. 

Archived