SE Mountain Forest Fires

Ser Scot A Ellison

It is terrible here right now.  I live in Columbia SC more than a hundred miles from the nearest blaze and I feel like I'm back in Spokane WA circa August 2015.  I'm short of breath and the sky (though not as bad as that one terrible day in Spokane) is really really hazy.  I'm wondering if we're going to get the apocalyptic skies we saw last year today.  

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/12/us/southern-wildfires/

I'm in the Atlanta area and we have been under a code red air quality alert for almost a wek now.  The smoke is really thick and we're also at least a hundred miles south of the nearest fire in N. Georgia.  It's killing my lungs and i have two young children who are simply miserable.  There's no escaping it, though, because the smoke is almost everywhere unless we leave the state, which I'm not allowed to do.  

It has been so dry, too.  Not a drop of rain forecasted for the next week.  

I live in the western foothills of the Appalachias here in east-central Kentucky, so most of the fires are southeast of here.  The wind shifted for a day last week that it was coming from that direction, so I know what you're saying... except you guys southeast of here get the brunt of the smoke.  Hopefully the system coming through this weekend will take care of them.  It has been exceptionally dry... I think it was about 2 months ago since I last had to mow the lawn.

The weather folks here are saying the system coming through could only make it worse because it's probably not bringing any rain, instead more dry air and winds.  It is so so dry.  

Thankfully today we're having a bit of a break from the smoke.  We've at least gotten outside without feeling like our lungs are on the verge of collapse.  

I didn't even realize the northeast was in a drought also until I heard it on NPR yesterday.  

A front will be coming through tonight bringing dry winds.  I assume this is going to exacerbate the fires in north Georgia making the smoke over half the state worse.  This weekend is going to suck.

I heard last night that Gatlinburg had to be evacuated.  G'burg is a bit of a shithole tourist trap, but it's right there at the beginning of the most beautiful park in all of America, so this is just very, very sad.  The park itself is now closed too I'm hearing?  Jesus, I hope there is some relief soon, that is a way too gorgeous piece of the country to burn up.  

Archived