Acrophilia 15 (Back to the Vintage Version) - AND THE WINNER IS ...

Julia H.

Welcome to the 15th game of Acrophilia!

After our extravagant, merry parties with Tyrion Lannister and rocksniffer followed by our hair-raising adventures with the Acro-Demon and Gabe the Acro-Demon-tamer, I thought a (doubtless temporary) return to a "classic" or "vintage" version of the game might be just the activity that soothes and relaxes our strained nerves. 

The Game and the Rules:

Short version (if you are an old player): 

There will be five rounds, each one with the same rules. You can send me preliminary answers for free and you can also purchase answers to yes/no-questions for 1 point per answer. You can vote for your favourite clue after being informed about the answers. No character names, nicknames or place names are allowed in the clues, but I don’t mind references to sigils or house words. If you want to join in, please, send me (Julia H.) a PM entitled Acrophilia #15<Your Board Name>.

Long version hidden below:

Spoiler

- Send your host (me, Julia H.) a PM entitled Acrophilia #15 <Your Board Name>.

- In reply to the PM’s, I will send each player an ASOIAF character for which the player will create a clue and send it to me (via PM) before a given deadline. The clues will be based on a randomly generated acronym, which the player can choose from two options. (The acronym options will be the same for each player.) When creating the clue, the players should be careful to use references that describe only or mainly the given character (i.e. they must avoid references that work equally well for other characters, too). The clues must not contain character names, character nicknames or place names. I have no objection to references to sigils or house words. You are encouraged to send an explanation for your clue, which will be published in the list for the favourite clue voting.

- When all the clues are in, I will post them here without indicating the names of the authors. Then the players will have at least five days to figure out the characters behind the clues and to guess the theme that the characters represent. The guesses will be sent to me via PM. (Potential answers must not be discussed on the thread.) The players may change their guesses before the deadline. 

- Players can also send in preliminary guesses. After receiving preliminary guesses, I will tell the player how many character guesses are correct (but not which ones) and whether the theme guess is correct, incorrect or close. I will use an answer purchase system as well, i.e., players may purchase answers to yes/no-questions, but each answer will cost one point. You can purchase as many answers as you want to but only for the character clues. You can't purchase answers to question regarding the theme. If you hesitate whether to purchase an answer or not, please, remember that I’m not sitting in front of the computer 24 hours a day, so allow me some time to find your request for a hint and to send you one. 

- After the deadline for the guesses has passed, I will post the answers to the clues, still without identifying the authors. Then players will have two days + to vote for their favourite clues before I reveal the authors and the scores, which is the end of the round.

- The game with consist of five rounds. The winner will be the player who gets the highest score.

Scoring System:

3 points for correctly guessing a clue (guessing points)

4 points for correctly guessing the theme, or less if your theme guess is only close (theme points)

5 points for the player who first sends in a perfect set of answers, both characters and theme (bonus points)

1 point for each player who guesses your clue correctly (author points)

1 point for each favourite clue vote your clue receives but only if you have also voted for your favourite clue (favourite clue points)

-1 point per answer (points spent)

If you are interested, don't hesitate to sign up. :)

Players

Destiel's Child

Dolorous Gabe

Castellan

rocksniffer

Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer

Ser Not Appearing

Lady Blizzardborn

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Fragile Bird

lil' ghost

Once again, welcome, everyone!

I will soon send out your characters for the first round. (I may create a clue or two myself as well, to add to the fun and to make guessing the theme perhaps easier.)  

In the meantime, if anyone else wants to join the game, it is still possible. 

I hoped to be able to start the game around this time, but I still haven't heard from some players and their clues at all.

This may turn out to be a game for a very small group of players.

well you could try pming lady blizzardborn, yomi and a :ninja:...and fragile bird is sailing the seven seas but will be home in a couple of days...though she does have limited internet access...try pming her as well

:smoking:

14 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

well you could try pming lady blizzardborn, yomi and a :ninja:...and fragile bird is sailing the seven seas but will be home in a couple of days...though she does have limited internet access...try pming her as well

:smoking:

I'm trying...

Well, I have received all the clues now, and the game will soon start, I will also add some home-made clues to increase variety. New players can still join if interested, since there are still characters available.

ROUND ONE CLUES

1. Idealistic mentality. Eager limp osteichthid. Held prisoner.

2. Ignoble metamorphosis eviscerated laughing, obnoxious, handsome prince.

3. Inexcusable manservant? Erstwhile labourer of “House Pleasure”.

4. Titillating redhead...evermore gone.

5. Intelligence may explain lack of hereditary pride.

6. Induction. Mercy. Epiphany. Lord offers hospitality, protection.

7. Inactive marauder. Expert longbow owner. Hoofs perfectly. 

8. Ill-made engagements lost (on homosexual principle?)

9. Information man, enigmatic, larcenous, obsequiousness hides plots.

10. Intertwined man. Eventually legitimatized. Objectionable hand, previously.

Theme: ???

Bonus clue:

Important announcement:

Since another new player has joined recently (who wishes to be anonymous for the moment) and has submitted a character clue, I am going to present it now as an extra (bonus) clue, which you can guess for one extra point. Since this clue is not part of the original list (though the same theme applies here, too), you can all take a separate (and free) prelims round for it. Also, it does not count in the race for the first perfect set of clues, however, sucessful guesses will earn the author author points and the clue is eligible for favourite clue votes.

Here it is:

11. Tinkling rider (extra  gongs).

The deadline for submitting your answers to the clues and the theme guess is 8. p.m. Central European Time on Friday 9th December.

Some things good to remember:

- you can send preliminary guesses

- you can ask yes/no questions about the characters for the price of one point per question

- the first perfect set of answers that I receive will earn extra points

Good luck to everyone! :read:

12 hours ago, "Dolorous" Gabe said:

I will get in my apology for my lacklustre clue now. I'm away and my brain just refused to function properly.

Well, your clue is guessable at least, which I cannot yet say with certainty about the ones I made.  :D

11 minutes ago, She Who Must Be Obeyed said:

Wow, time flies I haven't been around for months. I have been over the top busy, but it has backed off some now and i think i have time to play. 

May I please, Miss Julia :D

Sure! Welcome back! :)

Archived