US Politics: The Transition Continues

Altherion

1 minute ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The States are equal. Why should California have more representation in the Senate by virtue of population? That is why the House exists .  

Well the House is a fucking mess because of gerrymandering, that's a serious but separate issue that needs to be addressed.

Clearly I am saying the States should not be equal because they are not all equally important. A state that is more populous than Canada and produces the majority of the country's food supply (California) should not be on equal footing with a state whose main contribution is de-regulated credit cards (Delaware).

1 minute ago, Weeping Sore said:

Well the House is a fucking mess because of gerrymandering, that's a serious but separate issue that needs to be addressed.

Clearly I am saying the States should not be equal because they are not all equally important. A state that is more populous than Canada and produces the majority of the country's food supply (California) should not be on equal footing with a state whose main contribution is de-regulated credit cards (Delaware).

The house is a mess due to Gerrymandering.  It is also a mess because the number of House members was frozen at 438 in 1900 because (I'm not kidding) they couldn't get more desks into the House chamber.  

It is a BS reason to hold the HoR at 438.  The HoR needs to be much larger.  The longer it stays at 438 the more relative power States with single members in the House of Representative will receive.

4 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

You will never get unanimous consent to alter apportionment in the Senate.  The only way the Senate will change is if the US ceases to exist.

4 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

That is like saying people shouldn't be truly equal. Perhaps it's time to re-examine the United States. The States came in as Equal and should remain that way. 

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Boris,

If they respond to such sentiment by refusing to release food to urban areas, take it by force?

Maybe a rural Californian food producer is also super pissed off that he's 1/3 of the worth of a guy from Wyoming too. 

I'm really skeptical of your claims about food production interests being a crucial reason to keep the EC.  

1 minute ago, butterbumps! said:

Maybe a rural Californian food producer is also super pissed off that he's 1/3 of the worth of a guy from Wyoming too. 

I'm really skeptical of your claims about food production interests being a crucial reason to keep the EC.  

Butterbumps,

If your right.  That's wonderful.  

3 minutes ago, Commodore said:

how was the GOP able to win the governor/legislatures necessary to implement gerrymandering?

Both sides have Gerrymandered.  That's why it should be illegal across the board.  equalizing population should be the only factor in creating Congressional districts.  That can be done with a computer program.

2 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

That is like saying people shouldn't be truly equal. Perhaps it's time to re-examine the United States. The States came in as Equal and should remain that way. 

This is exactly what I'm saying: If states are equal, people can't be equal, and vise-versa.

If we kept the senate at 100 regardless of state populations, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming together might just barely get 1 senator and California would get 11 or 12.

2 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

This is exactly what I'm saying: If states are equal, people can't be equal, and vise-versa.

If we kept the senate at 100 regardless of state populations, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming together might just barely get 1 senator and California would get 11 or 12.

It is a pipe dream to think the Senate will ever change its apportionment without the US collapsing around it.  The HoR can be fixed.  The Senate literally cannot be.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Both sides have Gerrymandered.  That's why it should be illegal across the board.  equalizing population should be the only factor in creating Congressional districts.  That can be done with a computer program.

Why does the Supreme Court allow gerrymandering in the House?

Just now, Weeping Sore said:

You make it sound like individuals should be equal. 

With 12 Senators California could control a big chunk of business in the Senate. 

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Boris,

If they respond to such sentiment by refusing to release food to urban areas, take it by force?

No, just buy all food from abroad from abroad and abolish all agricultural subsidies and all import tariffs on agricultural production. The urban population will have cheaper food and a bigger share of the federal budget.

3 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Why does the Supreme Court allow gerrymandering in the House?

I think the logic is that both sides can do it.  It is also the method by with Minority Majority districts are created.  I strongly disagree with it.  Creating Minority Majority districts sweeps Minority voters into single districts and reduces their power to influence non-minority majority districts.  Heck, I think it can be argued its part of the reason Republican districts have been able to go so far from the interests of Minority voters since those Minority Majority districts were first created.

5 minutes ago, David Selig said:

No, just buy all food from abroad from abroad and abolish all agricultural subsidies and all import tariffs on agricultural production. The urban population will have cheaper food and a bigger share of the federal budget.

With the exception of buying all food from abroad (that's stratigically really dangerous) I agree with eliminating tariffs and subsidies.  I don't think they help.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I think the logic is that both sides can do it.  It is also the method by with Minority Majority districts are created.  I strongly disagree with it.  Creating Minority Majority districts sweeps Minority voters into single districts and reduces their power to influence non-minority majority districts.  Heck, I think it can be argued its part of the reason Republican districts have been able to go so far from the interests of Minority voters since those Minority Majority districts were first created.

I could see the logic of majority/minority districts when entire Congressional delegations from Southern States were Democratic.  But, I think you're correct that they now work against Democrats, by putting their voters into too few seats, and helping Republicans for the same reason.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

With the exception of buying all food from abroad (that's stratigically really dangerous) I agree with eliminating tariffs and subsidies.  I don't think they help.

Buying all food from abroad will be temporary until the US farmers cave in and accept the switch to popular vote.

But isn't most food in the US produced in big states like Texas and California anyway?

Archived