Footy: Yaya Ascendant

MercenaryChef

I'm wondering at how we're supposed to play. 

Our defence is struggling - Baines isn't getting younger, Williams is limited (but effective), Jags is declining and Coleman is .. okay, but he's never been the defensive lynchpin. So we're going to ship goals these days, it seems. Also, it seems Holgate and Funes Mori aren't deemed fit to start yet. Watching Jags these days, I wonder how much of that is his captaincy and how much is ability.

This, of course, puts pressure on our forwards to deliver. However, that seems difficult. Taking yesterdays game as an example, a striking difference between us and Southampton was that Southampton's players ran more. This gave them more outlets for passing, which they used, mostly on one touch. The result was that Southampton players always seemed to have more time and space. We looked lethargic for most of the game. 

Also, we were struggling with how we want to play. Lennon is currently playing on the right - and he needs space and balls in behind the defence. He was never likely to get that yesterday. On the right, Bolasie is a maverick. However, that in itself doesn't lead to goals. The other players aren't attuned to how he plays, and that limits Baines (in attack), Barkley and Lukaku all. 

Furstrating.

On 11/27/2016 at 1:25 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

That's their prerogative but all fans will get turned off quickly by 9-0-1 formations. 

Unless it works.

Defensive or "negative" football as some call it is like wrestling in MMA. A lot of people consider it boring, everyone has that team or fighter that does it well they hate to sit through but..they will, if there's profit to it

8 hours ago, Castel said:

Unless it works.

Defensive or "negative" football as some call it is like wrestling in MMA. A lot of people consider it boring, everyone has that team or fighter that does it well they hate to sit through but..they will, if there's profit to it

That's why I said it's the team's prerogative to make that choice, but fans get bored even if they're pleased to gain a point.  Have you seen/heard the away fans at Anfield this year?  I feel sorry for them.  It will seep into TV eventually too.  Liverpool are scheduled for lots of televised games now but ratings will drop off if they're all like recent games.  This is still an expensive entertainment business.  

We put in a top notch performance last night. I only hope that we can start converting our chances in league games as well. West Ham played their part as well and the game was really entertaining. Mkhitaryan was superb. I expected something to happen every time he got on the ball and his performance last night and against Feyenoord further cements my view that he should be 1st choice on the right. Martial too had his best game of the season.

Yeah, Chelsea have been clinical while City have wasted a few clear chances. Chelsea have also gotten the rub of the green as far as decisions go. A few situations could have easily gone the other way and Chelsea could have conceded a penalty or two and been down to ten men.

Terrible way to end the game. City players have completely lost their heads.

Great game of football minus the end. Quite a remarkable turnaround for Chelsea and they are looking to be the real deal.

2 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I think Aguero might've went down a little easy on the Luiz challenge in the first half other than that I don't remember many controversial calls/missed calls. Would be harsh for Pep to blame the refs. 

Not controversial per se, merely calls that on another day could have easily gone the other way.

6 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

i am beginning to believe that if given a chance i could score against pep's manchester city.

unbelievable how they cannot keep balls out of the net.

they need to sign some defenders. insane.

They've spent so much damn money on CBs in recent years as well. 

I love Conte, damn near makes Chelsea likable. 

Pretty clever from Chelsea to antagonise City to just below the point where they'd be punished, encouraging City to cross the line in retribution. Very poor from Anthony Taylor not to notice what they were up to.

5 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Pretty clever from Chelsea to antagonise City to just below the point where they'd be punished, encouraging City to cross the line in retribution. Very poor from Anthony Taylor not to notice what they were up to.

This is, to be fair, Costa's stock in trade but you really can't be blaming Chelsea for City's shit at the end, especially since I don't think City were notably less dirty than Chelsea throughout the game, just maybe less good at it.

Fabregas just calmly walking backwards until Fernandinho shoved him over the hoarding cracked me up. He knew exactly what he was doing there.

21 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

They've spent so much damn money on CBs in recent years as well. 

I love Conte, damn near makes Chelsea likable. 

no kidding. 

he really does make them a fun team to watch. i even find it hard to remember to call costa a cunt when i see him. god damn, what is happening to football??

Archived