Footy: Yaya Ascendant

MercenaryChef

9 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Btw to Man Utd fans hee. Like I said, Man Utd will fight for top 4 and might even title, if Chelsea gets points deduction and others trailing in their performances. Only Arsenal seems to be consistent.

I really don't know what you saw in that to suggest that we're gonna challenge for the title, to be honest. It was a minor step up in a so-far tepid season.

Also :lol: at 'Only Arsenal seems to be consistent' when Chelsea have just won their ninth game in a row. I can't see them facing a points deduction either. Things haven't changed that much since Battle of Old Trafford days and that was way worse a spectacle.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I really don't know what you saw in that to suggest that we're gonna challenge for the title, to be honest. It was a minor step up in a so-far tepid season.

Also :lol: at 'Only Arsenal seems to be consistent' when Chelsea have just won their ninth game in a row. I can't see them facing a points deduction either. Things haven't changed that much since Battle of Old Trafford days and that was way worse a spectacle.

You're final getting rewards for your performances. You said no top 4 or others around here. One team one way or the other will drop points and that is your chance. As far as title goes. All top 6 teams have a chance. Will you win it? In my opinion no, is there still chance? Yes.

As I said Chelsea might get points deduction neither way ther for their behavior on or off the pitch. Its their 5th incident in space of 19 months and FA rules are clear, they faced a threat of points being deducted after Tottenham game last year and FA opted for fine. In was meant as out ofthe  rest of the competition by excluding Chelsea. Arsenal is putting good performances, beat them btw, been consistent in both regards and haven't lost since first game against ours Liverpool and I'm quite frankly surprised, but they finally sort out their defence and found a striker or should  I say made Sanchez into a striker.

It's really not. It's a much better Liverpool. It took us 21 games to get to 31 points last year. If we lose the next six games, you can say same old Liverpool.

The truth is, of course, we're massively improved, but still have issues to sort out (primarily Lovren and Karius). Scoring two goals at home should be enough to win the game, and scoring three away likewise.

It's a mixture of error-prone defending and goalkeeping and maybe a bit of bad luck with opponents often having a very high conversion rate.

Karius could have done better on Payet's free kick, but there was only one shocking mistake that led to a West Ham goal - and that was from Matip. Of course that doesn't suit Liverpool fans' narrative.

The awful officiating in the Bundesliga is really getting annoying now. All three games I saw this weekend were marred by the referees.

Think the conversion rate of your opponents have a lot to do with the high pressing game Klopp likes. It gives you turnovers and goals, but if your opponent can bypass it, your defence is hung out to dry.

Conversion rate should be higher than normal then.

Liverpool are massively improved. No European football has helped, giving the team plenty of recovery time between matches. It will be interesting to see whether the team can keep up this intensity and high tempo once the fixture list becomes more congested.

1 hour ago, Lord Friendzone said:

You're final getting rewards for your performances. You said no top 4 or other around here. One team one way or the other will drop points and that is your chance, as far s title goes. All top 6 teams have a chance. Will you win it? In my opinion no, is there still chance? Yes.

The bolded is the key. Thus far we haven't been able to take advantage of those above us dropping points. Mourinho mentioned sometime after the Chelsea game that we are going into a more favourable run of fixtures where we can close the gap yet we ended up dropping at least 6 points; 10 points if you count the Arsenal and Everton games. Realistically we will need to go on a similar sort of run that Chelsea have if we are to have a chance of finishing in the top 4, let alone challenge for the title.

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Liverpool are massively improved. No European football has helped, giving the team plenty of recovery time between matches. It will be interesting to see whether the team can keep up this intensity and high tempo once the fixture list becomes more congested.

The bolded is the key. Thus far we haven't been able to take advantage of those above us dropping points. Mourinho mentioned sometime after the Chelsea game that we are going into a more favourable run of fixtures where we can close the gap yet we ended up dropping at least 6 points; 10 points if you count the Arsenal and Everton games. Realistically we will need to go on a similar sort of run that Chelsea have if we are to have a chance of finishing in the top 4, let alone challenge for the title.

In this round you were able to take advantage because others dropped points Liverpool, Man City, Tottenham. Our run since Southampton was solid on the paper and yet we won only one game. Dropped 7 points, it's like your games with Burnley, Arsenal etc. Good football but not 3 points. There will be time when some team will have a bad spell, the chances will come. Unless you have like many injuries, you have plenty of quality. So at least top 4 is realistic by mathematical point of view or even from the way you're playing. If you were miserable and getting points fair enough. Title I still rate 6 teams with a chance but next couple of games will tell how it will be.

Liverpool and Chelsea is like Leicester last season. Strength in depth is what is worrying in certain areas. Karius or Mignolet is key question. As Carragher higlighted it, Randolph at least made that save against Hendo, Karius not even that. It's not helping the lad either, because his uncertain performances will affect teams mentality and goalkeepers do have a tough job... and every mistake is basically a goal and scrutinized but he has to perform. De Gea made mistakes but then produce a world class save, You guys know that. I've been criticizing Mignolet, he's not by any means a world class goalkeeper but he at least made those saves at some point. Karius is for sure good lad and Klopp has to make decision. Also, Lovren injured.

11 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

As Carragher higlighted it, Randolph at least made that save against Hendo, Karius not even that.

That is the typical pundit BS hyperbole.

Karius did not have a great game (mildly put). The freekick, well, he did not need to concede on that one by force. Goalkeeper error is a bit too much imho, but it was savable.

He had two good scenes though. That shot from Antonio (?) in the first half. And when he rushed out and punched the ball off Carroll's face towards the end. 

The one goal was a collective defense fail by Liverpool plain and simple. Henderson deflected that long ball by Nordveidt and it caught the entire Liverpool defense napping. Most notably Matip, who did not react fast enough; and to a somewhat lesser degree Karius who could have rushed out a bit earlier. So really not a good game by Karius by any means.

But to say Randolph had a better game than Karius, that's really pushing it way too far. Neither of those two goals were nearly as horrendous from a goalkeeping perspective as Randolph's gift to Origi.

Just now, Notone said:

That is the typical pundit BS hyperbole.

Karius did not have a great game (mildly put). The freekick, well, he did not need to concede on that one by force. Goalkeeper error is a bit too much imho, but it was savable.

He had two good scenes though. That shot from Antonio (?) in the first half. And when he rushed out and punched the ball off Carroll's face towards the end. 

The one goal was a collective defense fail by Liverpool plain and simple. Henderson deflected that long ball by Nordveidt and it caught the entire Liverpool defense napping. Most notably Matip, who did not react fast enough; and to a somewhat lesser degree Karius who could have rushed out a bit earlier. So really not a good game by Karius by any means.

But to say Randolph had a better game than Karius, that's really pushing it way too far. Neither of those two goals were nearly as horrendous from a goalkeeping perspective as Randolph's gift to Origi.

Never said Randolph had a better game, Just that he at least produced key save at some point, but he still made a worse mistake in the context. It was a basic cross from Mane but at least he did something. Not trying to defend his mistake or comparing his mistake to Karius. Karius couldve done better even with Matip's mistake, he went for the ball and there uncertain whether to go for the ball or not. Main reason for this was Matip but Karius also played a part.

Karius is shaky, uncertain in his performances whether crosses from time to time not directly leading toa goals yet but it could in the future. In this game he had that moment again and on the edge of penalty area was a West Ham player shooting thankuflly over the bar. His goals are not horrendous howlers but it still cost you a game.

Our defence is bad as it is, goalkeeper can only make it even more so. His uncertainty transcends to the team around him. Look at Bravo, not exactly insipiring goalkeeper is he. When you got a capable, solid goalkeeper who produces calm perfomances, Everything is better. I understand goalkeeping is a tough job and every litle mistake will be highlighted by everyone. Karius has to justify why is he our number 1 goalkeeper and so far his perfomances are below average. I'm not a fan of Mignolet but there is athe questin to be asked. Is it worth or not putting him out there? Because this criticism, performances Karius put so far might or might not harm his own confidence,

I missed our game today.  As Rorschach said, our aggressive style creates more goals both for us and for opponents.  We must be fun for neutrals but we don't yet look like a team who can grind out a title win.  Chelsea look much more experienced in that regard.  They managed come-back wins against Spurs and City after being outplayed for much of the game, and they squeaked a win today instead of dropping points.  Arsenal, bizarrely, are doing very well too in this regard. 

Squad is looking thin: Coutinho, Can and Sturridge all out today, now Lovren injured too.  We don't have anything on the bench to influence a game either positively or defensively. 

Archived