Footy: Yaya Ascendant

MercenaryChef

Some things in life are inevitable: death, taxes and Arsenal getting a shit last 16 draw.

15 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Arsenal vs Bayern and somebody said Arsenal will draw Bayern. Man City got Juventus. Another tough games.

Man City drew Monaco. Juve drew Porto.

As for the rest of the matchups:

Manchester City v Monaco - should be doable for City. Could have been a lot worse.
Real Madrid v Napoli - Tough draw for Napoli. They're on good form, though, especially Mertens. Shouldn't be completely discounted.
Benfica v Borussia Dortmund - Dortmund look too strong for Benfica.
Bayern Munich v Arsenal - Although maybe this will finally be Arsene's year
Porto v Juventus - Juve should win this. 
Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid - Don't think Leverkusen stand a chance here.
Paris Saint-Germain v Barcelona - PSG arguably not the same force they were a couple of seasons ago.
Sevilla v Leicester City - Pretty good draw for Leicester, although Sevilla have had a very good season in Spain. European teams don't seem to have discovered the antidote to Leicester's playing style yet. 

I'm going for a bold prediction and say that Arsenal will get past Bayern this time provided they aren't in the midst of their usual injury crisis. This Arsenal side seems to be a more resilient outfit.

City, Real, Dortmund, Juve and Atletico should all get through fairly comfortably. Barca/PSG is a potential banana skin for Barca. This game, along with Sevilla/Leicester, has the biggest potential for an upset.

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I'm going for a bold prediction and say that Arsenal will get past Bayern this time provided they aren't in the midst of their usual injury crisis. This Arsenal side seems to be a more resilient outfit.

Completely plausible and equally unlikely. I'm going in with the lowest of expectations so that I can be pleasantly surprised if they pull it off or feel nothing if they fail miserably. I do like our side but I have no faith that come February we'll still be in this current form with these same players. Something bad will happen, it always does.

Manchester City v Monaco - Tougher than it looks for City as Monaco are really good going forward, but they should still scrape through.

Real Madrid v Napoli - Napoli have a chance now Albiol is, and Milik may be back, but Real are still clear favourites.

Benfica v Borussia Dortmund - BVB will probably pick up some consistency after the winter break which will get them through.

Bayern Munich v Arsenal - Typical Arsenal exit. Even at home in the second leg for the late, ultimately fruitless comeback attempt after losing in Munich.

Porto v Juventus - Porto are the worst team left and Juve will cruise through.

Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid - Leverkusen took Atleti to penalties a few years back and could do the same again. They usually turn good in the second half of the season and this weekend luck seems to finally have swung in their favour. Closer than it may look but I'd still make Atletico favourites here.

Paris Saint-Germain v Barcelona - On paper this is no contest, but Emery is the master of European knockout games so PSG might have a shot.

Sevilla v Leicester City - Sampaoli will be too clever to fall in to Leicester's trap and has a superior squad at his disposal.

1 hour ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

As for the rest of the matchups:

Manchester City v Monaco - should be doable for City. Could have been a lot worse.
Real Madrid v Napoli - Tough draw for Napoli. They're on good form, though, especially Mertens. Shouldn't be completely discounted.
Benfica v Borussia Dortmund - Dortmund look too strong for Benfica.
Bayern Munich v Arsenal - Although maybe this will finally be Arsene's year
Porto v Juventus - Juve should win this. 
Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid - Don't think Leverkusen stand a chance here.
Paris Saint-Germain v Barcelona - PSG arguably not the same force they were a couple of seasons ago.
Sevilla v Leicester City - Pretty good draw for Leicester, although Sevilla have had a very good season in Spain. European teams don't seem to have discovered the antidote to Leicester's playing style yet. 

You are underestimating Sevilla. They are a very good squad, and they know European competition, as evidenced by their back-to-back-to-back victories in the Europa League. So that is a very unpleasent draw for Leicester.

Leverkusen are huge underdogs, but on a good day they can be a very dangerous team for almost any opposition. So two good days, and who knows. Afterall Dortmund finished their group ahead of Real.

Bayern are not as strong this year under Ancelotti as they were under Guardiola. They appeared to have picked up some form now though. Tough draw still.

I think Leicester would rather face Sevilla than PSG, Bayern, Real or Man City (well, maybe not Man City after last week), so on that account, it's a pretty good draw for them. I know Sevilla are favourites, but Leicester are not strangers to the odd upset.

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

That might be the worst freekick I've  ever seen actually go in. Everton are woeful at the moment.

I've seen worse. Sanchez was aiming for that bottom corner and it was right on target. Might have been saved though. Lucky deflection.

On 12-12-2016 at 4:25 PM, Consigliere said:

If there was ever a year in recent memory that Arsenal had near 50% chance, it is this one.

Bayern has looked seriously stunted this season. I watch them every year andf so far they have lacked that fair they had in recent years. Now, you could say they've declined a little bit the last two seasons already. But it is more pronounced now.

It's a superb squad on paper and the addition of Robben ( who must feel like a new signing making a comeback bi-annually, Arsene knows all about this) has improved the look of them IMO. He's a fantastic creator and just has that... x-factor that a Douglas Costa does not have. Or which Ribery once had but no longer has. Arsenal is looking solid and I think they have a genuine chance here. Wouldn't call them favorites by any means, but this Arsenal team is not much below this Bayern team. 

Archived