Footy: Yaya Ascendant

MercenaryChef

Well that was scrappy as fuck but I'll take the win.Good intervention from Sturridge and with Firmino's form having fallen off a cliff without Coutinho playing he might get himself back into the side.

It should have been an absolutely nailed on straight red for Barkley then he still should have gotten a second yellow for kicking the ball away, dirty fucker. In fairness Lovren could easily have been sent off as well, he definitely knew what he was doing when he planted his forearm in the back of Barkley's head in the aerial challenge after the foul on Henderson.

Just now, ljkeane said:

Well that was scrappy as fuck but I'll take the win.Good intervention from Sturridge and with Firmino's form having fallen off a cliff without Coutinho playing he might get himself back into the side.

It will probably be Origi if anyone. Klopp has rarely used two natural strikers. 

Fucking dogshit Everton.  I wonder if Barkley practiced that with Funes Mori. 

Liverpool did well to eke out a win. The balance of the front three still looks really off but Coutinho should be back soon, although then Mane leaves.  Even so Firmino had a couple of good chances, one fluffed and one very well saved.  It's a pity we've hit this injury disruption just as the PL games are coming thick and fast but that's the kind of luck you need to win a title.  Klavan did well again.  Matip's ankle problem is a bit of a mystery but hopefully clears up soon. 

If neither Firmino nor Origi (nor Sturridge) can be effective in Coutinho's left side position then we may need to change formation a bit and move Lallana there.  It's an option. 

9 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Well that was scrappy as fuck but I'll take the win.

I missed the match,just watched the highlights.Much needed 3 points are in the bag so i'm happy even if it was scrappy win.This is what Chelsea have been doing recently,scrapping by with those 1-0 wins.

Anyone wanna give me a brief summary of our players? :)

Doesn't compensate for those useless tossers from Schalke being unable to get anything from that freak show of a club. 

Add to that Volkswagen grabbed 3 points against Gladbach. Oh, and the self-proclaimed hooligan champs getting 3 points. Not a great day, football wise. Well, 2016 nuff said.

23 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Anyone wanna give me a brief summary of our players? :)

Lessee... (from my possibly imperfect recollection)

Mignolet - had practically nothing to do. One weak header from Williams is all I can think of. Did nothing to shame himself.

Milner - hardworking as ever. Not his best game, but managed Valencia pretty well (maybe apart from the first 20 min, when Everton as a whole tore us apart)

Klavan - Mostly great. Looked like he was going to be taken for a ride by Lukaku, but got in a critical block early on, and after that pretty much had Luke in his back pocket. Read the game well, kept his head cool and his passing tidy.

Lovren - Really good (/Klopp). No horror mistakes. Everton gave him a lot of space on the ball, which meant that we saw him venture into the opposition half from time to time. Didn't split Everton open like Sakho (</3) would have, but neither did he give the ball away in dangerous areas. 

Clyne - Rock solid defensively, constantly contributes offensively. His crossing and final ball can be erratic, and his shooting boots (if he indeed owns a pair) were missing again, but he's still a constant creative outlet on the left flank. Feels like he's underrated by a lot of fans.

Gini - Another faultless performance that will fly under the radar. His close control and strength on the ball is possibly only second to Dembele's (the Belgian Hotspur), and while you could argue that his passing could be more incisive at times, the value of someone who never fluffs a pass and never concedes possession is hard to measure. Never panics, plays his way out of trouble and keeps the team in possession. I think more goals and assists are only a matter of time.

Hendo - Quiet, but strong. Was overrun with the rest of the team in the first half of the first half, but after that, he controlled the midfield. Barkley couldn't deal with him, and started lashing out.

Lallana - Keeps doing the right thing, and you only really appreciate the full extent of his contribution to the team when he's out.

Mané - Runs and runs and runs. Gets the all-important game-winner deep in injury time, after having run non-stop for 94 minutes. Will be sorely missed in January - let's hope Klopp has a plan (Pulisic?).

Origi - Not really his day. Couldn't get the better of the Everton defenders, and was correctly taken off. 

Firmino - He's clearly not on top form, and is clearly missing Coutinho. Despite that, he had three out of our four shots on goal, and drew a couple of great saves from Robles/Stekelenburg. Another player that gets a completely undeserved amount of flak.

Can - on in the 83rd (?) minute. Made a huge tackle on Lukaku when it looked like he was through on goal. Has a ridiculous amount of confidence, always tries to make things happen. Is the anti-Gini in some ways; will look to create more, whether through incisive through balls or running past players, but will also make more mistakes and suffer ball losses. Fascinating player.

Sturridge - didn't do much, but what he did was crucial. Skipped past a couple of defenders and got away the shot that rebounded off the upright and into the path of a waiting Mané.

9 minutes ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

Lessee... (from my possibly imperfect recollection)

Hendo - Quiet, but strong. Was overrun with the rest of the team in the first half of the first half, but after that, he controlled the midfield. Barkley couldn't deal with him, and started lashing out

Thanks for the round-up :)

yeah,i did see a clip of that horrendous tackle,how the ref didn't give a straight red is mind-boggling.The linesman was right there and he clearly saw it too. :rolleyes: That could very well have been the end of Hendo's season but thank god he's okay.

Looks like the rumours of Victor Lindelof's transfer to United for a shit load of money is gathering steam. I don't recall ever seeing him play so I can't say whether or not this would be a good signing for us. At this point our midfield is in more urgent need of attention. Our first choice of Pogba-Carrick-Herrera looks good but our backup options are thin with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger being the forgotten men and Fellaini's all-round game not being good enough.

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Looks like the rumours of Victor Lindelof's transfer to United for a shit load of money is gathering steam. I don't recall ever seeing him play so I can't say whether or not this would be a good signing for us. At this point our midfield is in more urgent need of attention. Our first choice of Pogba-Carrick-Herrera looks good but our backup options are thin with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger being the forgotten men and Fellaini's all-round game not being good enough.

I thought you would be going after Van Dijk but maybe Man City will, but they need fullbacks even more.

21 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

I thought you would be going after Van Dijk but maybe Man City will, but they need fullbacks even more.

There were rumours that Liverpool might make a move for Van Dijk while we were being linked with Fonte. Well, Southampton are a selling club so if anyone (Liverpool, United, City etc.) makes a serious bid for one of their players, in all likelihood, the transfer will happen. The Saints owners don't seem to have any ambition beyond staying in the PL and selling players for a profit.

If we are already on transfer rumors then have y'all seen all the James Rodriguez to Chelsea links? He doesn't even start at Madrid so it kinda makes sense. Hazard-Costa-James attack on paper is pretty scary. 

I honestly don't want Van Dijk for Liverpool. He's been quality but just like Lovren he has a massive mistake in him. I think Liverpool can get through till the summer with Matip/Lovren/Klavan as our CBs. Especially since Matip isn't going to AFCON. 

Hope Liverpool do buy some cover for Mane/Coutinho in Jan though.

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I have no idea why Schneiderlin's being treated the way he is. He'd seem like the perfect player to run backup for any one of those three in that midfield (with, if covering for Pogba, a more attacking role for Herrera).

No idea about Lindelof. I think we're fine at CB to be honest.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I have no idea why Schneiderlin's being treated the way he is. He'd seem like the perfect player to run backup for any one of those three in that midfield (with, if covering for Pogba, a more attacking role for Herrera).

No idea about Lindelof. I think we're fine at CB to be honest.

Schneiderlin's treatment is a strange one and Blind seems to have fallen down the pecking order as well, which is even stranger given how poorly Darmian has performed at LB. I think that Blind could do a good job as backup midfield pivot to Carrick. If the rumours turn out to be true and Schneiderlin is on his way to Everton, that would be a good signing for them and a loss for us. Schneiderlin has not been given a proper chance and his game did suffer under LVG's tactics (as did many other players).

Re: Lindelof. I read that he can play at RB as well. Perhaps Mourinho's intention is to have him compete with Valencia for that position and have him as backup should any of our CBs pick up an injury, which is not unreasonable given the injury histories of Jones, Smalling and Rojo.

43 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Re: Lindelof. I read that he can play at RB as well. Perhaps Mourinho's intention is to have him compete with Valencia for that position and have him as backup should any of our CBs pick up an injury, which is not unreasonable given the injury histories of Jones, Smalling and Rojo.

40 million is far too much to spend on a defender to just be a backup. At that price he will be expected to start most matches in his favoured position.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

40 million is far too much to spend on a defender to just be a backup. At that price he will be expected to start most matches in his favoured position.

Perhaps. However the price tag should not be a factor regarding who starts. He will have to earn his place just like everybody else. If the move does happen in January then I think that Mourinho will initially look to use him at RB in rotation with Valencia (unless Jones or Rojo pick up an injury) - we don't really have anyone competing with Valencia for that position. If Jones and Rojo continue to play well, I don't see Mourinho breaking up that partnership. Our defense is looking quite good atm except for LB so there isn't a desperate need for Lindelof to be immediately drafted into the starting lineup.

26 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Our defense is looking quite good atm except for LB so there isn't a desperate need for Lindelof to be immediately drafted into the starting lineup.

The treatment of Shaw annoys me even more than the treatment of Schneiderlin. If we sell him off I'll be raging.

Archived