Footy: Yaya Ascendant

MercenaryChef

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The treatment of Shaw annoys me even more than the treatment of Schneiderlin. If we sell him off I'll be raging.

Is he still injured?

I don't think we will sell him. Shaw offers an attacking potential that none of our other options at LB do and hopefully Mourinho sees that. Defensively, he's just as good or better than our other options. Darmian has been very poor at LB - offers nothing going forward and has been shirking his defensive duties resulting in our attacking players on the left having to cover for him. I'm surprised that he is ahead of Blind in Shaw's absence.

Tremendous performance from Bayern tonight. They were a bit lucky with their third, which should have been offside, but Ancelotti as usual got his team playing to their peak in a big game. Probably the biggest difference was Douglas Costa not being anonymous for 98% of the match.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Perhaps. However the price tag should not be a factor regarding who starts. He will have to earn his place just like everybody else. If the move does happen in January then I think that Mourinho will initially look to use him at RB in rotation with Valencia (unless Jones or Rojo pick up an injury) - we don't really have anyone competing with Valencia for that position. If Jones and Rojo continue to play well, I don't see Mourinho breaking up that partnership. Our defense is looking quite good atm except for LB so there isn't a desperate need for Lindelof to be immediately drafted into the starting lineup.

Why would they buy him at that price if they thought the defence was solid enough? I would agree that it is but Mourinho and the Man Utd hierarchy seemingly disagree.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

So Bayern is putting Red Bull back in their place.

Today's results more to your liking? 

2 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Why would they buy him at that price if they thought the defence was solid enough? I would agree that it is but Mourinho and the Man Utd hierarchy seemingly disagree.

For the future? We should also consider the injury records of Jones, Rojo and Smalling. Mourinho probably feels that he needs extra cover with Bailly heading off to AFCON. Plus, apart from Valencia, our options at RB are thin.

It was an improvement. 

Bremen at least managed to walk away with a point from SAP Hoppenheim. Wish it was more, but given Hoffenheim's form this season. I will take the point.

The other games. 
Bayern beating the tin cans was fine. Darmstadt Berlin; more or less meh. It was to be expected; so really meh. Köln Lverkusen, would have enjoyed that Bayer Sport Department to continue their mediocre form. But, could've been worse. Freiburg INgolstadt, was okayish. I kinda like Freiburg, but I also would have liked Ingolstadt to keep the play-off spot. So that was a classical you can't always get what you want thing. So it was an okayish end to the football year. 

20 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

If we are already on transfer rumors then have y'all seen all the James Rodriguez to Chelsea links? He doesn't even start at Madrid so it kinda makes sense. Hazard-Costa-James attack on paper is pretty scary. 

I honestly don't want Van Dijk for Liverpool. He's been quality but just like Lovren he has a massive mistake in him. I think Liverpool can get through till the summer with Matip/Lovren/Klavan as our CBs. Especially since Matip isn't going to AFCON. 

Hope Liverpool do buy some cover for Mane/Coutinho in Jan though.

Van Dijk would come or any other cb in summer. James is too pricey for Chelsea and really not that fit for their rw position. I saw speculations about Man Utd but he's a bit like Mata isn't he?

Heard Klopp wants Draxler.

22 hours ago, Consigliere said:

There were rumours that Liverpool might make a move for Van Dijk while we were being linked with Fonte. Well, Southampton are a selling club so if anyone (Liverpool, United, City etc.) makes a serious bid for one of their players, in all likelihood, the transfer will happen. The Saints owners don't seem to have any ambition beyond staying in the PL and selling players for a profit.

They'll sell him but I think Man City will get him if they want him.

20 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

I saw speculations about Man Utd but he's a bit like Mata isn't he?

I'd be worried that trying to fit James in would be messing with the balance we're starting to find - play him as a no10, you risk Pogba regressing when forced back into a midfield 2. Play him on a wing and I'm not 100% sure you get the best out of him or us, since he's not the fastest and neither are we as a squad without Rashford or Martial, whose left wing spot he'd most likely be taking in that scenario.

But we do need more of the kind of creativity he offers.

He is a bit like Mata, but he's got better footwork which is really what we need. You definitely couldn't fit both of them and Mkhitaryan in, though. Mata's struggling to play as it is again.

36 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Draxler's agents, ROGON SportManagement, are also agents for Firmino , Karius, Ricardo Rodriguez etc. ;)

Klopp wanted Götze but he wanted to go to Dortmund. Interesting thing with agents, could use some connections and Draxler would be welcomed addition. Ricardo Rodriguez would be also nice for that matter and a better option than Milner or Moreno. I know he's not the quickest but he offers a lot going forward, crosses, free kick, can take penalties. Alaba is better but Rodriguez is highghly rated for many years.

35 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'd be worried that trying to fit James in would be messing with the balance we're starting to find - play him as a no10, you risk Pogba regressing when forced back into a midfield 2. Play him on a wing and I'm not 100% sure you get the best out of him or us, since he's not the fastest and neither are we as a squad without Rashford or Martial, whose left wing spot he'd most likely be taking in that scenario.

But we do need more of the kind of creativity he offers.

He is a bit like Mata, but he's got better footwork which is really what we need. You definitely couldn't fit both of them and Mkhitaryan in, though. Mata's struggling to play as it is again.

James flourished in Ancelotti's 4-3-3 and you're play this system but that would mean sacrificing one of Mkhi or Mata. Mata is a decent player. As you have Mata who is very similar, James seems rather not needed.

Especially for this kind of money James seems a bit of luxury player. Lindelof makes more sense in that matter as he's versatile player capable of play as rb, cb.  You could use rb, cb and a midfielder.

Draxler to Liverpool sounds plausible. PSG are favourites I believe, but his recent antics may have put them off. Klopp would have liked him at Dortmund a few years ago, but that would never have been possible. I would be wary about Ricardo Rodriguez, Wolfsburg is an easy place to stagnate and his level over the last 18 months has dropped significantly.

17 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

They have money but they're not fools when for not so much more than that they could pursue Reus or Griezmann.

Depending on exactly what they're after, I'm not sure Reus or Griezmann are vastly better options. Especially with Reus' injury trouble.

Can't imagine Griezmann being cheaper than James plus he plays a different role. Reus maybe but he'd still be expensive plus he's damn near guaranteed to spend some time out every year injured. Not saying James to Chelsea is gonna happen but if Madrid are trying to get rid then they seem like one of the more realistic options for sure. 

21 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Depending on exactly what they're after, I'm not sure Reus or Griezmann are vastly better options. Especially with Reus' injury trouble.

If they want replacement or upgrade over Pedro or Willian who are dynamic, fast and agile players. Especially Pedro who was goalscoring threat at Barca and makes a lot of work for Chelsea. Seems Griezmann is ideal fit for them and if you put extra 20m and given good connections of Atletico and Chelsea due to Courtois and Costa. Btw Costa is wanted by Atletico. They could do business whether using players or just money. James price tag is 60m to 75m by Real Madrid, Griezmann could cost around 90m to 100m or so. If James price was around 40m I think it's worth trying even tho he might not be the bet fit for them.

They have Hazard who is not doing much of defending, James and Fabregas in one line up is good for opponents to exploit. Reus is injured a lot but a terrific player.

Well, at least the rumor mill Bundesliga is somewhat turning.

Confirmed Hoffenheims Rudy will move to Bayern at the end of the season, when his contract runs out. Related semi-rumor. Lahm will retire after this season (and not play the next season as he originally intended) and become director of football (or a role similar to that).

Bayern are apparently also interested in acquiring Rudy's teammate Süle. 

Draxler's new club is apparently PSG. He will move there in the January window. There are still somewhat differing reports on how far the negotiations have proceeded. French media reports they reached an agreement with Wolfsburg, German media says they are still in talks.

20 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Draxler's agents, ROGON SportManagement, are also agents for Firmino , Karius, Ricardo Rodriguez etc. ;)

I've had a huge hardon for Rodriguez for years. Can whoever said he's regressed expound on that? To me, he'd be the ideal long-term solution for LB, especially as his passing, crossing and shooting are so good. 

12 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

I'd advise everyone to watch Fiorentina vs Napoli highlights. One of those games where every goal is a belter, except the last one - though even that was a last kick equaliser.

That was great. Not sure I'd count a deflected free kick as a belter, though ;).

Is anyone in for Mertens? He's been absolutely on fire recently, and looks like he'd potentially slot in well in a Klopp system, for instance.

1 hour ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

I've had a huge hardon for Rodriguez for years. Can whoever said he's regressed expound on that? To me, he'd be the ideal long-term solution for LB, especially as his passing, crossing and shooting are so good. 

The chances he is creating have fallen, his number of assists have dropped and he has only scored one non-penalty goal in the last season and a half. His defensive numbers have held up better, but whilst he is a solid defender, his greatest strength has always been his attacking contribution.

However, it is quite hard to tell how much of that change is due to Rodriguez himself and how much is due to Wolfsburg’s team declining as a whole. Over that period the side has gone from Bayern’s biggest challengers to a relegation battle. But as Wolfsburg is owned and funded by VW, and pretty much only supported by their employees, the atmosphere is completely different to other German clubs — the pressure to improve is much lower and most players just use it as a stepping stone. That is compounded by VW slashing the club’s budget, as they need the money for the emissions scandal. Whilst much of the de Bruyne money was reinvested in Draxler, only £11m of Draxler’s fee will be spent on Bazoer.

So Rodriguez’ performances have dropped since 14/15 — but there is a very real chance that most of the regression can be explained by Wolfburg’s decline, especially given the lack of passionate support and change in direction from VW. He certainly needs a fresh start, but is uncertain how easy it will be to get him playing at the level he showed a few years back.

1 hour ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

That was great. Not sure I'd count a deflected free kick as a belter, though ;).

Okay, it was maybe a bit of an exaggeration

Archived