MercurialCannibal

Footy: Yaya Ascendant

408 posts in this topic

Liverpool are massively improved. No European football has helped, giving the team plenty of recovery time between matches. It will be interesting to see whether the team can keep up this intensity and high tempo once the fixture list becomes more congested.

1 hour ago, Lord Friendzone said:

You're final getting rewards for your performances. You said no top 4 or other around here. One team one way or the other will drop points and that is your chance, as far s title goes. All top 6 teams have a chance. Will you win it? In my opinion no, is there still chance? Yes.

The bolded is the key. Thus far we haven't been able to take advantage of those above us dropping points. Mourinho mentioned sometime after the Chelsea game that we are going into a more favourable run of fixtures where we can close the gap yet we ended up dropping at least 6 points; 10 points if you count the Arsenal and Everton games. Realistically we will need to go on a similar sort of run that Chelsea have if we are to have a chance of finishing in the top 4, let alone challenge for the title.

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Liverpool are massively improved. No European football has helped, giving the team plenty of recovery time between matches. It will be interesting to see whether the team can keep up this intensity and high tempo once the fixture list becomes more congested.

The bolded is the key. Thus far we haven't been able to take advantage of those above us dropping points. Mourinho mentioned sometime after the Chelsea game that we are going into a more favourable run of fixtures where we can close the gap yet we ended up dropping at least 6 points; 10 points if you count the Arsenal and Everton games. Realistically we will need to go on a similar sort of run that Chelsea have if we are to have a chance of finishing in the top 4, let alone challenge for the title.

In this round you were able to take advantage because others dropped points Liverpool, Man City, Tottenham. Our run since Southampton was solid on the paper and yet we won only one game. Dropped 7 points, it's like your games with Burnley, Arsenal etc. Good football but not 3 points. There will be time when some team will have a bad spell, the chances will come. Unless you have like many injuries, you have plenty of quality. So at least top 4 is realistic by mathematical point of view or even from the way you're playing. If you were miserable and getting points fair enough. Title I still rate 6 teams with a chance but next couple of games will tell how it will be.

Liverpool and Chelsea is like Leicester last season. Strength in depth is what is worrying in certain areas. Karius or Mignolet is key question. As Carragher higlighted it, Randolph at least made that save against Hendo, Karius not even that. It's not helping the lad either, because his uncertain performances will affect teams mentality and goalkeepers do have a tough job... and every mistake is basically a goal and scrutinized but he has to perform. De Gea made mistakes but then produce a world class save, You guys know that. I've been criticizing Mignolet, he's not by any means a world class goalkeeper but he at least made those saves at some point. Karius is for sure good lad and Klopp has to make decision. Also, Lovren injured.

11 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

As Carragher higlighted it, Randolph at least made that save against Hendo, Karius not even that.

That is the typical pundit BS hyperbole.

Karius did not have a great game (mildly put). The freekick, well, he did not need to concede on that one by force. Goalkeeper error is a bit too much imho, but it was savable.

He had two good scenes though. That shot from Antonio (?) in the first half. And when he rushed out and punched the ball off Carroll's face towards the end. 

The one goal was a collective defense fail by Liverpool plain and simple. Henderson deflected that long ball by Nordveidt and it caught the entire Liverpool defense napping. Most notably Matip, who did not react fast enough; and to a somewhat lesser degree Karius who could have rushed out a bit earlier. So really not a good game by Karius by any means.

But to say Randolph had a better game than Karius, that's really pushing it way too far. Neither of those two goals were nearly as horrendous from a goalkeeping perspective as Randolph's gift to Origi.

Edited by Notone

Just now, Notone said:

That is the typical pundit BS hyperbole.

Karius did not have a great game (mildly put). The freekick, well, he did not need to concede on that one by force. Goalkeeper error is a bit too much imho, but it was savable.

He had two good scenes though. That shot from Antonio (?) in the first half. And when he rushed out and punched the ball off Carroll's face towards the end. 

The one goal was a collective defense fail by Liverpool plain and simple. Henderson deflected that long ball by Nordveidt and it caught the entire Liverpool defense napping. Most notably Matip, who did not react fast enough; and to a somewhat lesser degree Karius who could have rushed out a bit earlier. So really not a good game by Karius by any means.

But to say Randolph had a better game than Karius, that's really pushing it way too far. Neither of those two goals were nearly as horrendous from a goalkeeping perspective as Randolph's gift to Origi.

Never said Randolph had a better game, Just that he at least produced key save at some point, but he still made a worse mistake in the context. It was a basic cross from Mane but at least he did something. Not trying to defend his mistake or comparing his mistake to Karius. Karius couldve done better even with Matip's mistake, he went for the ball and there uncertain whether to go for the ball or not. Main reason for this was Matip but Karius also played a part.

Karius is shaky, uncertain in his performances whether crosses from time to time not directly leading toa goals yet but it could in the future. In this game he had that moment again and on the edge of penalty area was a West Ham player shooting thankuflly over the bar. His goals are not horrendous howlers but it still cost you a game.

Our defence is bad as it is, goalkeeper can only make it even more so. His uncertainty transcends to the team around him. Look at Bravo, not exactly insipiring goalkeeper is he. When you got a capable, solid goalkeeper who produces calm perfomances, Everything is better. I understand goalkeeping is a tough job and every litle mistake will be highlighted by everyone. Karius has to justify why is he our number 1 goalkeeper and so far his perfomances are below average. I'm not a fan of Mignolet but there is athe questin to be asked. Is it worth or not putting him out there? Because this criticism, performances Karius put so far might or might not harm his own confidence,

Edited by Lord Friendzone

I missed our game today.  As Rorschach said, our aggressive style creates more goals both for us and for opponents.  We must be fun for neutrals but we don't yet look like a team who can grind out a title win.  Chelsea look much more experienced in that regard.  They managed come-back wins against Spurs and City after being outplayed for much of the game, and they squeaked a win today instead of dropping points.  Arsenal, bizarrely, are doing very well too in this regard. 

Squad is looking thin: Coutinho, Can and Sturridge all out today, now Lovren injured too.  We don't have anything on the bench to influence a game either positively or defensively. 

Arsenal vs Bayern and somebody said Arsenal will draw Bayern. Man City got Juventus. Another tough games.

Some things in life are inevitable: death, taxes and Arsenal getting a shit last 16 draw.

15 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Arsenal vs Bayern and somebody said Arsenal will draw Bayern. Man City got Juventus. Another tough games.

Man City drew Monaco. Juve drew Porto.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Okay as funny as the Arsenal draw is I feel bad for them. 

It's tiring. At least every Arsenal fan knew it was going to happen. That takes some of the sting out of it.

As for the rest of the matchups:

Manchester City v Monaco - should be doable for City. Could have been a lot worse.
Real Madrid v Napoli - Tough draw for Napoli. They're on good form, though, especially Mertens. Shouldn't be completely discounted.
Benfica v Borussia Dortmund - Dortmund look too strong for Benfica.
Bayern Munich v Arsenal - Although maybe this will finally be Arsene's year
Porto v Juventus - Juve should win this. 
Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid - Don't think Leverkusen stand a chance here.
Paris Saint-Germain v Barcelona - PSG arguably not the same force they were a couple of seasons ago.
Sevilla v Leicester City - Pretty good draw for Leicester, although Sevilla have had a very good season in Spain. European teams don't seem to have discovered the antidote to Leicester's playing style yet. 

I'm going for a bold prediction and say that Arsenal will get past Bayern this time provided they aren't in the midst of their usual injury crisis. This Arsenal side seems to be a more resilient outfit.

City, Real, Dortmund, Juve and Atletico should all get through fairly comfortably. Barca/PSG is a potential banana skin for Barca. This game, along with Sevilla/Leicester, has the biggest potential for an upset.

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I'm going for a bold prediction and say that Arsenal will get past Bayern this time provided they aren't in the midst of their usual injury crisis. This Arsenal side seems to be a more resilient outfit.

Completely plausible and equally unlikely. I'm going in with the lowest of expectations so that I can be pleasantly surprised if they pull it off or feel nothing if they fail miserably. I do like our side but I have no faith that come February we'll still be in this current form with these same players. Something bad will happen, it always does.

Manchester City v Monaco - Tougher than it looks for City as Monaco are really good going forward, but they should still scrape through.

Real Madrid v Napoli - Napoli have a chance now Albiol is, and Milik may be back, but Real are still clear favourites.

Benfica v Borussia Dortmund - BVB will probably pick up some consistency after the winter break which will get them through.

Bayern Munich v Arsenal - Typical Arsenal exit. Even at home in the second leg for the late, ultimately fruitless comeback attempt after losing in Munich.

Porto v Juventus - Porto are the worst team left and Juve will cruise through.

Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid - Leverkusen took Atleti to penalties a few years back and could do the same again. They usually turn good in the second half of the season and this weekend luck seems to finally have swung in their favour. Closer than it may look but I'd still make Atletico favourites here.

Paris Saint-Germain v Barcelona - On paper this is no contest, but Emery is the master of European knockout games so PSG might have a shot.

Sevilla v Leicester City - Sampaoli will be too clever to fall in to Leicester's trap and has a superior squad at his disposal.

1 hour ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

As for the rest of the matchups:

Manchester City v Monaco - should be doable for City. Could have been a lot worse.
Real Madrid v Napoli - Tough draw for Napoli. They're on good form, though, especially Mertens. Shouldn't be completely discounted.
Benfica v Borussia Dortmund - Dortmund look too strong for Benfica.
Bayern Munich v Arsenal - Although maybe this will finally be Arsene's year
Porto v Juventus - Juve should win this. 
Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid - Don't think Leverkusen stand a chance here.
Paris Saint-Germain v Barcelona - PSG arguably not the same force they were a couple of seasons ago.
Sevilla v Leicester City - Pretty good draw for Leicester, although Sevilla have had a very good season in Spain. European teams don't seem to have discovered the antidote to Leicester's playing style yet. 

You are underestimating Sevilla. They are a very good squad, and they know European competition, as evidenced by their back-to-back-to-back victories in the Europa League. So that is a very unpleasent draw for Leicester.

Leverkusen are huge underdogs, but on a good day they can be a very dangerous team for almost any opposition. So two good days, and who knows. Afterall Dortmund finished their group ahead of Real.

Bayern are not as strong this year under Ancelotti as they were under Guardiola. They appeared to have picked up some form now though. Tough draw still.

Edited by Notone

I think Leicester would rather face Sevilla than PSG, Bayern, Real or Man City (well, maybe not Man City after last week), so on that account, it's a pretty good draw for them. I know Sevilla are favourites, but Leicester are not strangers to the odd upset.

As expected, Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or. Congrats to him.

7 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Some things in life are inevitable: death, taxes and Arsenal getting a shit last 16 draw.

Man City drew Monaco. Juve drew Porto.

I saw and mixed testing results of the draw along with real one.

That might be the worst freekick I've  ever seen actually go in. Everton are woeful at the moment.