Prequel Discussion

dsug

Due to the reports of HBO and GRRM allegedly being in serious talks about producing a GoT prequel, I figured here we could compile ideas, theories, and the like. ASOIAF has a rich history, with lots of other interesting stories to be told. So let's talk, fancast, etc. 

The only prequel I really think that would be worth making is the Dance of the Dragons. The bloody war of succession would be a hit with viewers, without question. The Princess Rhaenyra and her enigmatic husband Daemon vs the deranged King Aegon and his scheming mother Alicent. The dragons, the sex, the politics, it's all right up HBO's alley. 

I haven't cast all the actors, but I have the two main women. Rhaenyra Targaryen should be none other than Eva Green. Eva Green is a brilliant talent, and she's perfect for Rhaenyra. On the other side of the war, Alicent Hightower is perfect for Helen McCrory. These two women are both forces to be reckoned with, and they need actors who are able to fill those shoes. 

So yeah, I had a lot more written, but my wifi crashed and I had to rewrite it, so enjoy the abridged version lol. 

Share your thoughts below. What prequel would you like to see, and actors to bring it to life. Thanks :)

12 hours ago, dsug said:

Due to the reports of HBO and GRRM allegedly being in serious talks about producing a GoT prequel, I figured here we could compile ideas, theories, and the like. ASOIAF has a rich history, with lots of other interesting stories to be told. So let's talk, fancast, etc. 

The only prequel I really think that would be worth making is the Dance of the Dragons. The bloody war of succession would be a hit with viewers, without question. The Princess Rhaenyra and her enigmatic husband Daemon vs the deranged King Aegon and his scheming mother Alicent. The dragons, the sex, the politics, it's all right up HBO's alley. 

I haven't cast all the actors, but I have the two main women. Rhaenyra Targaryen should be none other than Eva Green. Eva Green is a brilliant talent, and she's perfect for Rhaenyra. On the other side of the war, Alicent Hightower is perfect for Helen McCrory. These two women are both forces to be reckoned with, and they need actors who are able to fill those shoes. 

So yeah, I had a lot more written, but my wifi crashed and I had to rewrite it, so enjoy the abridged version lol. 

Share your thoughts below. What prequel would you like to see, and actors to bring it to life. Thanks :)

From what I heard, sounds like GRRM favors the three Dunk & Egg novellas being made into three t.v. movies of two hours each.  ("Three" cuz that 's one for each novella), or at least said something like that would be the most "natural" thing to do.

However, while I have read all three novellas and enjoyed them immensely, I really don't think there's enough material in each of them to be a two hour movie.  I think they'd have to pad the stories (which would be fine with me), and then, of course, Dunk & Egg are VERY different from GOT/ASOIAF.   FAR different, in fact.  The average GOT viewer, in my opinion, would be quite surprised.  I think that many will be looking for the Rated R equivalent of "GOT: Part 2" but that's not even close to what Dunk & Egg are.

But what would I LIKE to see?  Sorry, but not a prequel at all.  I favor continuation with established characters in a spin-off, especially the younger ones (Arya, Genry, Pod, Lyanna Mormont, et cetera) with the older characters making cameo appearances.  Basically "Game of Thrones: The Next Generation."  I also believe this would be by far the best way to bridge the gap between the shows.  Starting over with completely new characters and actors and storylines that MANY viewers are almost totally unfamiliar with seems like a really risky move to me.

Also, I'd love to see Dance of the Dragons, as you suggest, but I fear the CGI costs will limit it, and maybe even preclude if from happening.  Dunk & Egg could have VERY low production costs for CGI, almost nothing, in fact.  (Let's see...we've got humans and horses and settings.  Think that's pretty much it.  Indeed, each novella takes place almost entirely at only two main locations, as I recall)

But hey, rest assured I'll watch whatever they make (or at least give it a try).

If they do make Dunk & Egg, though, they better make Dunk 6'11" as he is in the books, but I"m guessing they won't.  They've downsized a number of the characters in Game of Thrones (even when they could have easily made them seem more accurate to book size), and I'll be surprised if Dunk is actually 6'11" on screen like he is in the novellas., 

3 hours ago, Cron said:

From what I heard, sounds like GRRM favors the three Dunk & Egg novellas being made into three t.v. movies of two hours each.  ("Three" cuz that 's one for each novella), or at least said something like that would be the most "natural" thing to do.

However, while I have read all three novellas and enjoyed them immensely, I really don't think there's enough material in each of them to be a two hour movie.  I think they'd have to pad the stories (which would be fine with me), and then, of course, Dunk & Egg are VERY different from GOT/ASOIAF.   FAR different, in fact.  The average GOT viewer, in my opinion, would be quite surprised.  I think that many will be looking for the Rated R equivalent of "GOT: Part 2" but that's not even close to what Dunk & Egg are.

But what would I LIKE to see?  Sorry, but not a prequel at all.  I favor continuation with established characters in a spin-off, especially the younger ones (Arya, Genry, Pod, Lyanna Mormont, et cetera) with the older characters making cameo appearances.  Basically "Game of Thrones: The Next Generation."  I also believe this would be by far the best way to bridge the gap between the shows.  Starting over with completely new characters and actors and storylines that MANY viewers are almost totally unfamiliar with seems like a really risky move to me.

Also, I'd love to see Dance of the Dragons, as you suggest, but I fear the CGI costs will limit it, and maybe even preclude if from happening.  Dunk & Egg could have VERY low production costs for CGI, almost nothing, in fact.  (Let's see...we've got humans and horses and settings.  Think that's pretty much it.  Indeed, each novella takes place almost entirely at only two main locations, as I recall)

But hey, rest assured I'll watch whatever they make (or at least give it a try).

If they do make Dunk & Egg, though, they better make Dunk 6'11" as he is in the books, but I"m guessing they won't.  They've downsized a number of the characters in Game of Thrones (even when they could have easily made them seem more accurate to book size), and I'll be surprised if Dunk is actually 6'11" on screen like he is in the novellas., 

yeah the CGI/budget would be the real killer in a Dance prequel.

Although I've never seen the allure of D&E series/films because, and pardon me for saying this, but they're boring. The main ASOIAF series (or at least the first three) is cinematic, it is grand, it is worth bringing to the screen. Besides the trial by seven, I can't see much of D&E being exciting television. Its lot of good character work and all that, but I cannot see the story as it currently is carrying an entire film or series. 

But who knows? I love the series, books and show, so I will take anything I can get. 

Dunk and Egg could be mini series in a different tone to Game of Thrones. But if they wnat to go big Robert's Rebellion because people already know some characters and are invested in them. Dance with the Dragons would require a lot of CGI and it's expensive.

18 hours ago, dsug said:

yeah the CGI/budget would be the real killer in a Dance prequel.

Although I've never seen the allure of D&E series/films because, and pardon me for saying this, but they're boring. The main ASOIAF series (or at least the first three) is cinematic, it is grand, it is worth bringing to the screen. Besides the trial by seven, I can't see much of D&E being exciting television. Its lot of good character work and all that, but I cannot see the story as it currently is carrying an entire film or series. 

But who knows? I love the series, books and show, so I will take anything I can get. 

I agree with nearly everything you wrote...except I did not find Dunk & Egg boring.

I really didn't.

They are fun little stories, but VERY different from ASOIAF...on the latter point I agree with you completely.  Which is why I think if they go with Dunk & Egg, a lot of show viewers may go "Whoa, wait, what???"  They will be expecting GOT Part 2, but that's not what Dunk & Egg are.

Still, I was not bored by Dunk & Egg. I loved all three novellas.  The first was a fun, light hearted story, and the latter two gave a LOT of backstory and history that I thought were fantastic (backstory and history to ASOIAF, that is.  The Sworn Knight was a fun story (the battle over the water) that gave a lot of history through narration, and The Mystery Knight had important history that Dunk himself was living through)

But yeah, I don't think there's enough meat there for each one to even carry a two hour movie, especially the way D&D tear through source material.  For all I know, they could tear through each novella with 30 minutes of screen time and go "Done!!!"   Certainly, in my opinion, that's basically how they tore through AFFC and ADWD (proportionally speaking).

16 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Dunk and Egg could be mini series in a different tone to Game of Thrones. But if they wnat to go big Robert's Rebellion because people already know some characters and are invested in them. Dance with the Dragons would require a lot of CGI and it's expensive.

There was a time (three or four years ago) when I REALLY wanted to see Robert's Rebellion badly, and it would have been far and away my first choice for a prequel or spin-off, but now we are already seeing a lot of the really big moments in "flashbacks" through Bran's visions (whichI love to see)

And by the time next season is done, I have a feeling we will have seen even more (I've heard rumors that we are going to see Rhaegar, Knight of the Laughing Tree, and more.  I'm not positive if that's true, though.).

So now I would prefer they move on to new material.  One thing I DON'T like is when a show or movie keeps showing us different "takes" on the same events. (EXCELLENT examples are super hero movies that keep re-booting and re-showing origins over and over.  SpiderMan.  Batman. Superman. Enough already.  How often do I need to see different writers' and director's "takes"  on stories that have been told over and over again and which I already knew for DECADES anyway??  It's just a waste of valuable screen time, at this point, which could and should be used for much more interesting and new material.  How many times have we seen Batman's parents die? I THINK I heard the number is now up to 7, and each time it's slightly different. Why? Why do we need to see 7 different versions of Batman's parents dying?  I'm tired of it, and it's just a waste of screen time.  Yeah, we know.  HIs parents were murdered, and he was REALLY, REALLY ticked off about it, and it drove him to become Batman. We know.)

And it's disruptive to show the same stuff again.  I already saw Ned at the Tower of Joy.  I don't want or need to see it again, and if they DO do it again with different actors in a different way, that will be disruptive to the flow of the story.  They chose a guy to play young Ned (and I was fine with him) The End.  They showed his fight with Arthur Dayne (and I was fine with it).  The End.  They showed "promise me, Ned," and I was fine with it. The End.  I don't want or need to see the same stuff over and over, and to me it's just a waste of valuable screen time. 

1 hour ago, Cron said:

There was a time (three or four years ago) when I REALLY wanted to see Robert's Rebellion badly, and it would have been far and away my first choice for a prequel or spin-off, but now we are already seeing a lot of the really big moments in "flashbacks" through Bran's visions (whichI love to see)

And by the time next season is done, I have a feeling we will have seen even more (I've heard rumors that we are going to see Rhaegar, Knight of the Laughing Tree, and more.  I'm not positive if that's true, though.).

So now I would prefer they move on to new material.  One thing I DON'T like is when a show or movie keeps showing us different "takes" on the same events. (EXCELLENT examples are super hero movies that keep re-booting and re-showing origins over and over.  SpiderMan.  Batman. Superman. Enough already.  How often do I need to see different writers' and director's "takes"  on stories that have been told over and over again and which I already knew for DECADES anyway??  It's just a waste of valuable screen time, at this point, which could and should be used for much more interesting and new material.  How many times have we seen Batman's parents die? I THINK I heard the number is now up to 7, and each time it's slightly different. Why? Why do we need to see 7 different versions of Batman's parents dying?  I'm tired of it, and it's just a waste of screen time.  Yeah, we know.  HIs parents were murdered, and he was REALLY, REALLY ticked off about it, and it drove him to become Batman. We know.)

And it's disruptive to show the same stuff again.  I already saw Ned at the Tower of Joy.  I don't want or need to see it again, and if they DO do it again with different actors in a different way, that will be disruptive to the flow of the story.  They chose a guy to play young Ned (and I was fine with him) The End.  They showed his fight with Arthur Dayne (and I was fine with it).  The End.  They showed "promise me, Ned," and I was fine with it. The End.  I don't want or need to see the same stuff over and over, and to me it's just a waste of valuable screen time. 

I get where you're going with this

Not sure if KotLT wil be in the next season or what will. I heard about wedding but I do get the point that seeing events unfolding before our eyes and than revisiting her with another actors. But then a lot of thingd will happen besides TOJ, which would be end of RR. 

Look at it from perspective of people already invested in characters and similar tone or style to Game of Thrones. we know the ending but plenty of other events Tourney of Harrenhal, Siege of Storm's End, Trident, and so on. If you says GOT prequel, people will imagine something similar and not Dunk&Egg. That would be from my perspective a nice choice and smart one. Different tone, more intimate, road trip kinda of tv series with bunch of interesting characters and exploring something new in GRRM world.

Dance with dragon would be xpensive but a lot of dragons, fight and stuf about this would make it interesting and profitable but how much? Would it pay for their expensive CGI and also with Dunk&Egg or RR they could use some of the sets already after GOT.

Iam on ther fence with RR and how to approach the prequel. A lot of pros and cons but it really is up to do they want to change the tone, how much money can they spend and do they want to do something new to GOT and differ from it. A lot of questions we'll need to get the answer but  I don't blame people for having favourites in these three because it seems these are the likely options for GOT prequel to be on HBO. My favourite would be Dunk&Egg due to different tone and style.

8 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

I get where you're going with this

Not sure if KotLT wil be in the next season or what will. I heard about wedding but I do get the point that seeing events unfolding before our eyes and than revisiting her with another actors. But then a lot of thingd will happen besides TOJ, which would be end of RR. 

Look at it from perspective of people already invested in characters and similar tone or style to Game of Thrones. we know the ending but plenty of other events Tourney of Harrenhal, Siege of Storm's End, Trident, and so on. If you says GOT prequel, people will imagine something similar and not Dunk&Egg. That would be from my perspective a nice choice and smart one. Different tone, more intimate, road trip kinda of tv series with bunch of interesting characters and exploring something new in GRRM world.

Dance with dragon would be xpensive but a lot of dragons, fight and stuf about this would make it interesting and profitable but how much? Would it pay for their expensive CGI and also with Dunk&Egg or RR they could use some of the sets already after GOT.

Iam on ther fence with RR and how to approach the prequel. A lot of pros and cons but it really is up to do they want to change the tone, how much money can they spend and do they want to do something new to GOT and differ from it. A lot of questions we'll need to get the answer but  I don't blame people for having favourites in these three because it seems these are the likely options for GOT prequel to be on HBO. My favourite would be Dunk&Egg due to different tone and style.

Who knows, maybe we'll have our cake and eat it too.

Maybe they'll start with Dunk & Egg, no big deal, six hours of show time and it's already written, production could start SOON.

BUT, while that's goihg on, GRRM and HBO are collaborating on what comes next, which is maybe a huge GOT-style epic, with many characters, many events and lots of CGI.

The latter will take a lot longer to produce anyway, since it's not even fully written yet, whereas Dunk & Egg are very nearly ready to go.  Basically, Dunk & Egg would be like a bridge to the next monster production, which is gonna take a lot of time to get up and running anyway.

1 hour ago, Cron said:

Who knows, maybe we'll have our cake and eat it too.

Maybe they'll start with Dunk & Egg, no big deal, six hours of show time and it's already written, production could start SOON.

BUT, while that's goihg on, GRRM and HBO are collaborating on what comes next, which is maybe a huge GOT-style epic, with many characters, many events and lots of CGI.

The latter will take a lot longer to produce anyway, since it's not even fully written yet, whereas Dunk & Egg are very nearly ready to go.  Basically, Dunk & Egg would be like a bridge to the next monster production, which is gonna take a lot of time to get up and running anyway.

It would a bit like LOTR and The Hobbit in a smaller scale. You know big screen and smaller tv..

Dunk&Egg would be a bit liek The Hobbit journey and sort of different tone to it, not that grand like GOT. Do not take the comaprasion literally. Dunk&Egg would be as you said a good bridge between GOT and potentially other big production. Some mini series to keep GOT content on HBO and give it a different feel to it.

At this stage they're at sort of planning process, but one thing is clear... is it won't involve D&D and they wanted them originally. Just talks that could take a very concrete picture and Dunk&Egg can be low budget, high profitable. I wonder who would helm such a project whether Dunk&Egg or especially RR. Especially, RR is time consuming, not like GOT but still it takes time, effort and will to do it. But also a good opportunity for someone, who I would prefer to be fan of George's books. Maybe, George would be a bit more involved with the production of Dunk&Egg are nearly ready to be put on the screen. .

20 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

It would a bit like LOTR and The Hobbit in a smaller scale. You know big screen and smaller tv..

Dunk&Egg would be a bit liek The Hobbit journey and sort of different tone to it, not that grand like GOT. Do not take the comaprasion literally. Dunk&Egg would be as you said a good bridge between GOT and potentially other big production. Some mini series to keep GOT content on HBO and give it a different feel to it.

At this stage they're at sort of planning process, but one thing is clear... is it won't involve D&D and they wanted them originally. Just talks that could take a very concrete picture and Dunk&Egg can be low budget, high profitable. I wonder who would helm such a project whether Dunk&Egg or especially RR. Especially, RR is time consuming, not like GOT but still it takes time, effort and will to do it. But also a good opportunity for someone, who I would prefer to be fan of George's books. Maybe, George would be a bit more involved with the production of Dunk&Egg are nearly ready to be put on the screen. .

Yeah, I agree, the comparison to Hobbit and LOTR is a very, very good one, I think.  The Hobbit is a lot shorter than LOTR, focused heavily on one character, and much lighter in tone (especially the book, as I recall, although it's been a LONG time since I read the Hobbit)

Frankly, I'm not even sure "showrunners" are needed for Dunk & Egg.  They are very simple stories, fully written, with very limited characters and settings.  I would think a screenwriter would be needed to convert the novellas (GRRM is fully capable of doing this himself, obviously), and then a director for each one, I would guess.  Obviously, other work needs to be done (casting, finding locations, costumes, et cetera), but I strongly assume they can easily just grab the people who did those jobs for GOT..

Really, the more I think about it, the more I think they should just start producing Dunk & Egg within the next few weeks, while they are simultaneously also developing the next big epic saga.  HARR!!!

I'd prefer if they do any prequel (god i hate that word) that is avoid Robert's Rebellion completely. 

My reasoning being that although yes it would be cool to see certain aspects of it on screen we pretty much know the outcome already and GOT has as a show already covered most of it. We've seen the TOJ and we'll probably get more this coming season. I just think it would be going over old ground a little too much and would not gain the interest other areas could.

I'd prefer if the do want to to spin-offs they take a leaf from Disney's book and do something like the Star Wars spin off films we're getting, only maybe made as TV movies or shorter 3-8 part mini-series. Even something the length of the newer Sherlock series with only 3 episodes would be quite acceptable to me.

For material they could pick out some of the standout parts of the mythology and world building. The Dance of Dragons, Aegon's conquest of Westeros, The Greyjoy Rebellion, the Long Night and the building of The Wall, The Doom of Valyria, maybe even the wars of the Valyrians vs the Rhoynar, or even the slave escape that leads to the creation of the Free Cities.

12 hours ago, Cron said:

Yeah, I agree, the comparison to Hobbit and LOTR is a very, very good one, I think.  The Hobbit is a lot shorter than LOTR, focused heavily on one character, and much lighter in tone (especially the book, as I recall, although it's been a LONG time since I read the Hobbit)

Frankly, I'm not even sure "showrunners" are needed for Dunk & Egg.  They are very simple stories, fully written, with very limited characters and settings.  I would think a screenwriter would be needed to convert the novellas (GRRM is fully capable of doing this himself, obviously), and then a director for each one, I would guess.  Obviously, other work needs to be done (casting, finding locations, costumes, et cetera), but I strongly assume they can easily just grab the people who did those jobs for GOT..

Really, the more I think about it, the more I think they should just start producing Dunk & Egg within the next few weeks, while they are simultaneously also developing the next big epic saga.  HARR!!!

Dunk&Egg doesn't need producers unless they want to follow up with RR or other more elaborate projects and someone who would be willing to do both. But they can find somebody who is willing towork on it. George could be involved as screenwriter and he worked in the industry for a long time. Kill two birds with one stone. He would enjoy it and it is not that time consuming. He knows these books inside out and has experience.

In general HBO would be foolish no to want more of Game of Thrones or ASOIAF world to explore. People are cleaerly invested ,just finding a good team to work on it with and a lot of these people from Michelle Clapton for costumes, Nina Gold for casting or directors would love to work on this.

Dunk&Egg could follow GOT story. It would be nice sort of break of tone of it and also in the world George created. Dance with Dragons would be fascinating and I do have to say, I'd be for some dragon stuff anf more Targaryens. Aegon's Conquest, Blackfyre Rebellion and other stuff. Would you want something like this?

Hey guys - For me personally it is a Roberts Rebellion prequel. Yes, I understand where you come from where you say that most of the main events in that timeline have been covered, aka ToJ etc. But tell me you wouldn't prefer an hour long episode of the Tourney of Harrenhal with epic detail rather than a quick 2 minute vision of Bran's (Assuming we see the ToH in Season 7). 

But do you not think the smaller things that build/shape the foundations of the world as we know it in ASOIAF would be incredibly interesting? I'd imagine it to be a 3/4 series prequel. Starting around the time Ned and Robert are under Jon Arryn's wing. So many events in this timeline I would love to see on the screen and not just in a 2 minute bran vision either. Would love to see small things like a young Jaime learning how to fight and being taught by Barristan and Dayne. Would also love to explore how the relationship between Tywin and Aerys deteriorates etc. 

Only problem with this now for me is, the actor playing the younger characters in bran's visions would be too old by the time this series would come about... 

Would not like to see a prequel for D&E unless they take it further down the timeline into Aegon's reign. The D&E novels wouldn't provide a sufficient amount of action/twists like we know GOT to be full of! Would bore I think 80% of viewers.

11 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Dunk&Egg doesn't need producers unless they want to follow up with RR or other more elaborate projects and someone who would be willing to do both. But they can find somebody who is willing towork on it. George could be involved as screenwriter and he worked in the industry for a long time. Kill two birds with one stone. He would enjoy it and it is not that time consuming. He knows these books inside out and has experience.

In general HBO would be foolish no to want more of Game of Thrones or ASOIAF world to explore. People are cleaerly invested ,just finding a good team to work on it with and a lot of these people from Michelle Clapton for costumes, Nina Gold for casting or directors would love to work on this.

Dunk&Egg could follow GOT story. It would be nice sort of break of tone of it and also in the world George created. Dance with Dragons would be fascinating and I do have to say, I'd be for some dragon stuff anf more Targaryens. Aegon's Conquest, Blackfyre Rebellion and other stuff. Would you want something like this?

Would I want something in your last paragraph, you ask?

Yeah, I'll take it all, thanks, HARR!!!

But seriously, I guess it's just a matter of prioritizing.  Yeah, I'd love to have it all (as I'm guessing most people reading this would agree), but ranking them in order of what I want most is a little trickier, and then of course we have to account for the realities of production cost.

Some of the stuff you list would be a lot more expensive than other stuff, especially for CGI, and I don't think HBO is just gonna ignore that.

And I also take into account how friendly a spin-off or prequel would be to drawing in the already existing audience GOT has created.  In my opinion, the best way to do that, by far, is to continue with a few of the already established characters with completely new material which takes place chronologically after Season 8.  If HBO wants my advice, here it is:  Continue with a smaller central cast of extremely popular young characters, such as Arya, Lyanna Mormont, Gendry, et cetera.  There's far less risk in this than starting over with characters and actors that are completely new and unfamiliar to MANY show watchers, like characters in some of the stories you mention.

There is VERY little risk in continuing with Maisie Williams as Arya, though.  I think she is just about universally believed to be perfect for the role, she already knows the role (playing Arya Stark is probably second nature to Maisie at this point), and Arya herself is incredibly popular in books and show.

Ditto for Lyanna Mormont.  Perfectly cast and acted (in my opinion, the vast majority of GOT watchers loved the actress and her performance, including me), and Lyanna Mormont as a character is very popular.

I'd start with Dunk & Egg (for the reasons we've been talking about:  it's easy, it's already all written, production cost would be low with almost no CGI, this stuff could hit t.v. screens in 12 to 15 months, I would think), but at the same time I would be starting work on the next "big epic" spin-off, which would focus heaviliy on young, popular characters like Arya and Lyanna Mormont, with regular cameos by other established characers who survive Season 8.  (Note that this would save HBO a lot of money on actor payroll, too.  I saw an article recently that said the five highest paid actors on GOT are all older, the ones that play Jaime, Cersei, Tyrion, Dany and Jon, all of whom make the same amount of money per episode, and they make a LOT more than anyone else, as I understood it, at least as of when the article came out)

Now, I strongly predict Jaime and Cersei will be dead before the final end of Season 8, but appearances by Dany, Jon and Tyrion would be really cool.

So, I'd go with two tracks.  Dunk & Egg, with filming hopefully starting in the spring (three "movies" about 2 hours each in length, as GRRM himself recently discussed, I believe), but at the same time begin the next big epic, which would be basically be "Game of Thrones: The Next Generation." (Although a different name would be needed, granted.)

BY THE WAY, I just had another thought that I'm editing to add:  Remember in Season 6 when Arya was wondering about what's west of Westeros????  I found that VERY interesting that she said that line, and I considered the possibility right then and there that a spin-off which continues the story after Season 8 is done COULD well include exploration of Planetos in that direction, and which could open up a lot of possibilities besides characters continuing to just hang around Westeros feuding with each other.

My thing with a Roberts Rebellion series is that we've already seen the important parts. We know why they rebelled, we saw Jaime kill the Mad King, and we saw all of the tower of joy. The mystery of that conflict is gone. We've already seen the highlights. 

Besides, then they'd have to recast all the actors and that rarely works out. I don't want to see anyone other than Lena Headey play Cersei, or Charles Dance play Tywin, etc etc. 

I like the idea of dunk and egg .. but this story  isn't over.. would they make more films in the future once more novelas come out (if they ever eventuate?  There is at least a couple more novelas waiting as grrm has indicated. I hoped they may end at summer halls tragedy eventually. that would be a good time to then begin a RR series with birth of rhaeger kicking it off . I'd love to see the dance of the dragons or the long night too.

I know a Dance Prequel would be expensive, but with the success of Game of Thrones, and the desire for more once the main series ends, I don't see why HBO wouldn't throw money at it. Get one or two big-name actors (EVA FUCKING GREEN) to draw attention, say its about daenerys' ancestors, say there's lots of dragons and battles and sex and scheming, and people will tune in. I would. 

Archived