HBO's Westworld(v4)- What door? [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

The metajourney is not without its own appeal and fun. It's been  insane watching what people will dig up. 

The MiB thing is a bit like discovering R+L=J , except less central and over less time. I read with that in mind and it was still great. 

Soooo...wow.

Okay, who else expected Maeve to run into the guy writing the stories who's name escapes me at the moment putting Abernathy on the train...yet we never saw him or Abernathy...

The host being built in the bunker that we all wanted to assume was going to be a Theresa replacement..A Ford decoy that Dolores shoots or a Ford replacement for after Dolores shoots him...

Samurai World? 

I really hoped they'd give a sense of WHERE Westworld is, be it Mars or the Moon or something else...

25 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Soooo...wow.

Okay, who else expected Maeve to run into the guy writing the stories who's name escapes me at the moment putting Abernathy on the train...yet we never saw him or Abernathy...

The host being built in the bunker that we all wanted to assume was going to be a Theresa replacement..A Ford decoy that Dolores shoots or a Ford replacement for after Dolores shoots him...

Samurai World? 

I really hoped they'd give a sense of WHERE Westworld is, be it Mars or the Moon or something else...

Didn't we see the writer go into the room formerly full of decommissioned hosts only to find it empty? 

As for the location of Westworld that is a good point. How little we know of the outside world is part of why I wonder how they are going to set up a satisfying narrative of the hosts interacting with it. Though I guess that the lack of knowledge does nicely parallel the viewer and the hosts.

The Radiohead love of the creator continues.  That song playing over the final sequence is Exit Music which was in the Dicaprio and Daynes Romeo and Juliet long ago.   Not sure if that portends anything or if it's just another song.

1 hour ago, Pro Augustis said:

As for Maeve, my best guess is that she was supposed to take the train and track down/kill Abernathy, lest humans on the outside can recreate the hosts. Her turning back then would have been breaking that loop/programming. 

I don't think Abernathy made it out.  The writer guy went down to the cooler to get Abernathy but found that all the cold storage hosts were missing.  He must have been in the mob that comes out of the woods.  I think Maeve was just intended to get out to the "real world" and be free, but even better, she broke even that loop.

They certainly left some dangling plot threads.  Like, what was the Ghost Nation's motivations.  What was with Wyatt's cannibal monsters?  What was Ford 3D printing in his field lab on the old machine?

Ford didn't seem surprised or displeased that Bernard showed up at the gala, so clearly his intent was not that Bernard kill himself.

I really was hoping Charlotte would get machine gunned. by Hector. 

I'm sure I'll have some more thoughts later. 

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Her new narrative Bernard was reading mentioned something about infiltration. I'll have to watch it again, but I'm guessing Ford was trying to get her out of the park and into the real world to observe and adapt, etc.. However, Felix's giving her the location of her  daughter triggered unexpected "human" emotions and her returning to the park to find her.

Which I think is a neat way to resolve the fact that having Ford responsible for all her actions would be pretty shitty ,considering her arc was about freedom. 

3 hours ago, Trebla said:

Robert Ford: Eat your heart out, Bilbo Baggins!

Ha!  Had almost the exact same thought.  Would be great if actual-Ford shows up in the Season 2 premiere and is like, "C'mon Bernard, it was just a bit of fun!"

3 minutes ago, Spaßvogel said:

I don't think Abernathy made it out.  The writer guy went down to the cooler to get Abernathy but found that all the cold storage hosts were missing.  He must have been in the mob that comes out of the woods.

This is what I thought too.

Don't have much to add, most of my preliminary musings have already been mentioned by others.  My top few:  While the MIB/William reveal fell flat because of too much build-up, Dolores' storyline in the finale was well worth the wait.  A very impressive job mixing vague but ambitious philosophy on how the mind works, its actual relevance to your main plot point, and A+ acting/directing.  On the polar opposite end, while Maeve's story was visceral action fun and her decision to stay was poignant after Ford's reveal, it does not make up for the past 4 to 5 hours of Delos apparently failing to check/install security cameras.  Even if Ford was guiding the "narrative."

Also, I hope Stubbs just rescued Elsie, they saw the massacre at the end, and resolved to go off and live happily ever after.  They deserve better than being ignored in a 90 minute finale!  And, finally, Ed Harris' smile when he gets shot.  Perfect.

25 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Is Dolores the only conscious host?

Is Maeve conscious, or was she following a script the whole time as Bernard said she was?

Having programmed responses doesn't necessarily stop you from being conscious or Dolores wouldn't count cause she couldn't kill old William. 

But, putting that aside, If she was merely following a script she would have left as the next function on her screen  said "infiltrate mainland" so... probably not. 

I think we're supposed to think she was conscious but with programmed moves and then setting her own path after the whole train thing. 

What a great show. For people who are complaining about internet spoilers, I want to rest assure you that I binged the first 7 episodes and came to the same conclusions myself without the internet's help. The only call I got wrong was I thought Ford was going to turn out to be a host himself as well. That might yet prove to be correct. Everything else was very neatly contained in the narrative. Man this show knocked it out of the park. I read this week that Nolan was saying this season served us well as a prequel for what is to come. The stage has been set now, and I can't wait.

Archived