US politics: Heil to the Chief :(

all swedes are racist

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Republicans were going to support impeachment as well.  The Republican Party then is not the Republican Party today.

The poster asked if Congress was controlled by Republicans and I was answering that question.

I take your word but the hunger for investigations usually go with who the party of the person in charge is.

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

New poll from CNN says a majority of Americans (53%) thinks Trump will do a good job. What's more, 40% say they have a lot of confidence in how he will deal with the economy. This is a better score than any of Obama, George W Bush, Bill Clinton, George H W Bush or Ronald Reagan got on that question at a similar time. And leading on from that,  63% think that the economy will be in good shape a year from now.

So while people may not have voted for him, they seem to now think that having someone like him in charge might not be a bad thing after all.

Yea well, there was a poll taken before the election and immediately after the election by Gallup. In that poll, 16% of Republicans thought the economy was getting better. After the election, 49% thought the election was getting better. It's the same economy and Obama is still in charge. This goes to show that no one actually has any idea and it's entirely tied to political identity rather than reality. So I take these polls with a grain of salt.

This is a pretty scary article from David Remnick about what went on during the meeting with Trump and media executives. 

The fantasy of the normalization of Donald Trump—the idea that a demagogic candidate would somehow be transformed into a statesman of poise and deliberation after his Election Day victory—should now be a distant memory, an illusion shattered.

First came the obsessive Twitter rants directed at “Hamilton” and “Saturday Night Live.” Then came Monday’s astonishing aria of invective and resentment aimed at the media, delivered in a conference room on the twenty-fifth floor of Trump Tower. In the presence of television executives and anchors, Trump whined about everything from NBC News reporter Katy Tur’s coverage of him to a photograph the news network has used that shows him with a double chin. Why didn’t they use “nicer” pictures?

For more than twenty minutes, Trump railed about “outrageous” and “dishonest” coverage. When he was asked about the sort of “fake news” that now clogs social media, Trump replied that it was the networks that were guilty of spreading fake news. The “worst,” he said, were CNN (“liars!”) and NBC.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Right. And he has no need to throw red meat right now. Which means Trump can return entirely to attacking his natural targets, the press and Republicans who he doesn't think are on "his side" the way they're supposed to be.

Trump's never shown much interest in attacking Democrats, except Clinton when she was a rival; which she's not anymore. And in these post-election days, he's said far more nice things about Schumer and Obama than anyone other than his cabinet nominees. 

Yes, it turns out though, there are very high returns for spewing out bullshit, particularly to the base, particularly when Trump seems to be naturally endowed with bullshit, resulting in him having comparative advantage in producing bullshit.

It's why, Trump spewed out nonsense about Hillary's emails.

It's why, Trump spewed out nonsense about buying insurance across state lines.

The base will believe just about anything.

In fact, I'm thinking about pushing gold investments to the base in order to get rich, even though even Robert Barro doesn't seem to think that gold is that a great of an investment.

Why should Trump be the only one to get rich by selling nonsense to "the base"? I think I want a piece of the action.

3 minutes ago, Commodore said:

conflating attacking the press with attacking freedom of the press

no one cares if Trump yells at journalists, because no one likes journalists (well deserved)

Commodore,

Trump is doing many troubling things.  When will you be able to see it?  Does it not bother you that he brought someone into his Staff who expressly stated he was turning Breitbart into a platform for the "Alt-Right"?

6 minutes ago, Commodore said:

conflating attacking the press with attacking freedom of the press

no one cares if Trump yells at journalists, because no one likes journalists (well deserved)

He's the fucking President-elect though. The President should not attack the press. The President should not limit access for the press. The President should not diminish the press. He should be above that. Why that doesn't bother you at all is beyond me. If you can't imagine a situation based on Trump's actions where access starts getting limited (access removed), press conferences stop existing (he still hasn't had one since July and that's unprecedented as well) and state run press puts out their own version of events (Breitbart), then I have no idea what world you're living in. This is all in front of your face yet you sit there and act like the President-elect is just another man criticizing the press from his low paying job in the latest factory that got shut down, not the most powerful man in the world.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

He's the fucking President-elect though. The President should not attack the press. The President should not limit access for the press. The President should not diminish the press. He should be above that. Why that doesn't bother you at all is beyond me. If you can't imagine a situation based on Trump's actions where access starts getting limited (access removed), press conferences stop existing (he still hasn't had one since July and that's unprecedented as well) and state run press puts out their own version of events (Breitbart), then I have no idea what world you're living in. This is all in front of your face yet you sit there and act like the President-elect is just another man criticizing the press from his low paying job in the latest factory that got shut down, not the most powerful man in the world.

Wait till he starts arresting them for saying things he doesn't like. Or poisoning them with polonium-210...

10 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It was more a rhetorical question then anything. I know his stance. It just annoys me when he downplays shit like this like it's normal and sees nothing wrong with the President of the USA acting like a child because the press used a picture (which isn't even true, they used many pictures) that showed his double chins.

Could you imagine the outrage if this was Obama?

Commodore is, and always has been, a team player.  His team won and therefore can do no wrong.  And if they do, it's probably the Democrats fault.

Question:

How is using the office of the presidency to blatantly advance personal property and business interests not a violation of the Hobbs act?  Is the presidency not subject to this law?  The recent supreme court case with McDonnell was about setting up meetings and making introductions and basically endorsing the briber's product.  Trump (although he would most likely deny it) sounds like he's asking for favorable rulings and bribes in return for favorable treatment.

Just now, The Meereense Knot said:

Question:

How is using the office of the presidency to blatantly advance personal property and business interests not a violation of the Hobbs act?  Is the presidency not subject to this law?  The recent supreme court case with McDonnell was about setting up meetings and making introductions and basically endorsing the briber's product.  Trump (although he would most likely deny it) sounds like he's asking for favorable rulings and bribes in return for favorable treatment.

I believe the President is immune to such laws. The only one that he's susceptible to is the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.

2 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

So...will tax records of candidates ever again be an issue in presidential campaigns or did Trump effectively eliminate that being a thing?

It will be a thing again once a Democrat tries pulling this.  Just like emails were a thing, but Pence can get away w/ covering his up.  PC is bad until things are said about Republicans.  Deficits are bad unless we're giving the rich a HUGE tax cut.  Infrastructure investments can't be done unless a Republican is President.  The ACA is totally completely bad until they have the opportunity to repeal it and then have to actually come up with an alternative.  Hypocrisy ad nauseum...

7 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

So...will tax records of candidates ever again be an issue in presidential campaigns or did Trump effectively eliminate that being a thing?

It sets precedent that's for sure. Whether it becomes a recurring action, we'll never know but what Trump proved is it won't stop 60m people from voting for him so I doubt anyone would plan on opening themselves up to that type of criticism again. One of the other issues now is the Trump Foundation doesn't have to file tax returns for at least a year after donations come in. So he could in theory use the Trump Foundation, take in donations and no one would be the wiser for a year or two.

14 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I'm not sure if he knows what that is. Maybe he's seen Breaking Bad and will try to use ricin. 

Edit: I misread your post. :) I guess you've heard of Alexander Litivenko. Anyway, as he's bragged, he could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and it wouldn't make any difference.

1 hour ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I am sure the talk will come back up depending how serious Hillary will be on 2020.

Is that really likely? She'll be tainted, not by all the email stuff and everything else that evaporated along the way, but by simly having "lost" twice. The Democrats need someone untainted by past associations with a really good shot at taking the Presidency. Warren? The Democrats really need to start putting some thought into that.

Archived