hooked noses?

Venus414

Jaquen/the alchemist is described similarity to Osmund Kettleblack:

"Love." It was Cersei's turn to laugh. "She fancies our Ser Osney." He was the youngest Kettleblack, the clean-shaved one. Though he had the same black hair, hooked nose, and easy smile as his brother Osmund, one cheek bore three long scratches, courtesy of one of Tyrion's whores. "She likes his scars, I think."

the alchemist and Jaquen had the same description- down to the scar. Is this known?  I can't find any theories.

searching hooked noses came up with all the kettleblacks, tytos Blackwood, the fat fellow and the house of black and white, and a fat master from the sworn sword.. Also the hound, strangely.  I tend to think GRM uses distinguishable features like silver hair, purple, green, or blue eyes, etc. as clues.  Especially if hooked noses are associated with people involved with faceless, masters, and Baelish I'm intrigued.  Any theories or thoughts please share.

11 hours ago, Snowmelter said:

No. Just....no.  Jaqen is in Oldtown when all of this is going on.  Osney is currently in the dungeons under Baelor's Sept.

Thanks for your reply. Well, there are three of them.  I would hate to do an entire reread based on this premises, but searching hooked noses came up with all the kettleblacks, tytos Blackwood, the fat fellow and the house of black and white, and a fat master from the sworn sword. Also the hound.  I tend to think he uses distinguishable features like silver hair, purple, green, or blue eyes, etc. as clues.  Especially if hooked noses are associated with people involved with faceless, masters, and Baelish I'm intrigued.  But you're right- it could just be nothing. 

• 2 months later...
On November 25, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Adam Targaryen said:

I'd say the most noteworthy part is that he looks very much like The Hound. Tall, dark hair, a hooked nose and facial scars. Though I don't think it means anything

The Hounds scars are more reminiscent of Two Face's scars (from Batman), they are not simple scars. Go back and read his description, he is missing an ear, his face was so badly melted that you can see the musculature and even a portion of his jaw bone.

nobody looks like the Hound. he is one of a kind, appearance wise.

• 3 weeks later...

There are all kinds of similarities between people and events. Maybe they mean something, maybe not.

IRC, there is something about the Elder Brother, Marwyn and one of the Royces (?) having big hands and flat foreheads, so they might all be related.

Then there is the High Sparrow's hairstyle that matches Meera Reed's, which is why people think he is Howland.

And then you can find stuff like Jon describing the wall as "shimmering" early in Game and then three novels and five years later the same word is used to describe Brienne getting out of the baths at Harrenhal -- so what might GRRM be signaling to the reader there?

You can comb through the text for a lifetime ferreting out tiny parallels and curious turns of phrase, but that's how Beautiful Minds are created.

Archived