College Football 2016 - Cracks in the Golden Dome

Rhom

Hopefully this year is the impetus to get the playoff to 8 teams, which is where it has needed to be from the beginning. Sick of apples to oranges conference comparisons. Get the 5 conference champs, a group of 5, and two at larges in. You can't cry about not making it if your team didn't win its conference..

As for this season, it's a weird deal.  I would give the nod to Ohio State because they only lost one game and they scheduled a tough game non-conference and won it convicingly.  They deserve to be in, despite getting upset by Penn State.

5 hours ago, sperry said:

Yup. Any argument that the conference is good falls about a mile short when you consider that only 1 of 14 teams could finish with less than 4 losses.

That apparently doesn't matter because some of the lesser SEC teams played some of the better ACC/Big 10 teams tough.

I've never really understood conference arguments though, like the people who brag about the SEC dominating when they're not a Bama fan or fan of a recent champion. Just odd.

Well the sting of the loss to the buckeyes is still fresh. I can't say Michigan has any say in the playoffs after losing two games. Really sucks because the team looked so good and seemed like a few plays lost it. My hope is for a great bowl match up to see how they stack up outside the B1G 10. 

20 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well the sting of the loss to the buckeyes is still fresh. I can't say Michigan has any say in the playoffs after losing two games. Really sucks because the team looked so good and seemed like a few plays lost it. My hope is for a great bowl match up to see how they stack up outside the B1G 10. 

Yep it was a fun season, had The Game been in the Big House I think we wouldve vanquished the Dirty Buckeyes. The future looks good, were only in the seond season under Harbaugh I could easily see the roster being even stronger in years 3,4,5 with a full complement of Harbaugh recruited players.

Enjoy this one Buckeyes, your ours next year.

50 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Michigan beat both of them head to head...

So? UM is setting at home watching the B1G championship. Its a screwed up system, based on the opinions of people and the brand on their helmet. Michigan does not desrve to be ranked ahead of the two teams playing in the Conf. Championship, Period. tOSH has a case because they only have one loss and I still think it unfair in a way. Eh, not much to be done about it, except going to 8 teams. And, there just might be enough pissed off Alums of various schools to make that happen if this plays out how I think it will. With the B1G champ left out and tOSH in.

So Saturday, UofL scores on their opening possession.  The big Pizza Box is going crazy as UK takes the field. 

Stephen Johnson started the season as the back-up to Drew Barker and came in during the third game after Barker's season ending back injury.  He originally signed with Grambling and went to College of the Desert JUCO last year.  He was diagnosed with Tourette's as a kid and has fought to overcome the disability through his adolescence. 

He steps into a hostile environment in a game where he is a four touchdown underdog.  Check out this video. 

Cool as can be, he steps to the line, smiles and says "I love this shit."  :thumbsup: 

Love that kid.

On 11/27/2016 at 6:28 AM, sperry said:

Any chance they bring Chip back? And who will be the new coach?  Helfrich has to go down as one of the all time worst coaching hires of all time. He took a ferrari, never changed the oil and pumped it full of regular unleaded and drove it until the engine fell off.

I doubt Chip comes back, and I especially doubt he comes back to Oregon. They're apparently handling the firing badly - Helfrich still hasn't had a conversation with the AD, no official announcement has been made, Helfrich says that if he stays he won't change any of the other coaching personnel because he thinks that isn't the problem, and it's just a giant dumpster fire. As is the rest of this year.

If I had my druthers I'd go with PJ Fleck - young, energetic, well-liked and hungry. But I don't have a say in it despite writing occasionally for the 3rd most popular blog about Oregon out there.

After watching the CFP ranking show on ESPN and listening to them interview the guy in charge of the committee, it sure seemed that if Washington loses to Colorado that Michigan will slide into the 4th spot AHEAD of the winner of Wisc and PSU. If two teams from the Big 10 get in and neither one is the conference champ, that will be a fucking travesty.

2 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

After watching the CFP ranking show on ESPN and listening to them interview the guy in charge of the committee, it sure seemed that if Washington loses to Colorado that Michigan will slide into the 4th spot AHEAD of the winner of Wisc and PSU. If two teams from the Big 10 get in and neither one is the conference champ, that will be a fucking travesty.

Not really. Michigan is better than both of those teams. 

11 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Not really. Michigan is better than both of those teams. 

Based on what though? Head to head, sure they beat them both, but early in the season. They only won one game outside the state of Michigan and that was Rutgers. Their body of work isn't all that much more impressive to where they should jump their conference champ. Finishing 4th in the Big 10 and losing 2 out of their last 3 should have put them out of reach in my book, but the name branding and the media's love of that douche Harbaugh is keeping them ahead of Wisconsin and Penn State. This would totally devalue the point of winning your conference, which has been a main point of the committee. It's a joke.

11 hours ago, sperry said:

That would be great if Michigan and Ohio State got in. Leaving 3 of the 5 major conference champs out of the playoff. That would get us the 8 team playoff we need.

That is the only possible silver lining, that four teams just isn't working and their selection process is a hot mess. They want to put the emphasis on being a part of the power 5 conferences, but apparently winning them means absolutely jack shit. Might as well be an independent.

Ohio St. is a lock imho. Now, I will be pissed if Colorado wins and Michigan gets in ahead. I know, they'll go to head to head. But, seriously what does the Conference Championships even matter then? Oklahoma should be ahead of Michigan and PSU and Wisconsin. Michigan has lost 2 of their last 3 as Mr. Pesci said, and have dropped to 5? It's a biased selection process, that would be somewhat eliminated if they go to 8. I'm praying for the B1G champ to get left out, and we know the BIGXII will be left out. In what world should the Champion of the B1G have to set and watch someone else in their conference compete for a National Championship? I hope it pisses enough and the right people off.

ETA: to clarify, Michigan should be ranked behind OU, PSU and Wisconsin.

The conference championships matter, but they aren't the only deciding factor nor should they be.

And yes, Michigan beating PSU and Wisconsin and also basically obliterating most other opponents and also playing OSU to a virtual tie are all signs that Michigan is better. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

The conference championships matter, but they aren't the only deciding factor nor should they be.

And yes, Michigan beating PSU and Wisconsin and also basically obliterating most other opponents and also playing OSU to a virtual tie are all signs that Michigan is better. 

I see the reasoning. Its just not a perfect system at 4 teams. Conf championships don't matter if Michigan gets in ahead of either of those. 8 teams solves the problem.

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It causes other ones. 

It wouldn't cause anything worse than what the current system has done in essentially rendering conference championships meaningless.  It's something for the committee to pay lip service to when it suits them, but fine to disregard when it doesn't.  

1 hour ago, S John said:

It wouldn't cause anything worse than what the current system has done in essentially rendering conference championships meaningless.  It's something for the committee to pay lip service to when it suits them, but fine to disregard when it doesn't.  

It doesn't make them meaningless; it makes them important but not the sole deciding factor. 

And let me get this straight - would you really rather have Florida in over Alabama if Florida somehow won? Would you really rather have VTech in over Clemson? Would you rather leave Michigan and Ohio State out and put Florida and VTech in? How about Oklahoma State over Oklahoma? Conference championships are nice, but they do things like ignore overall strength of schedule (reminder that in the SEC almost every team in the SEC East avoided Alabama or LSU), out of conference games, and margin of victory.

Also, why should the Big-10 champ have as much cred as, say, the Pac-12 champ? Why should the SEC champ matter as much as the Big-12? Why should the ACC - which has looked atrocious at times - be as good as the SEC?

The problem with autobids for conference champions is that quite often the conference championship sucks, quite a bit. And really, do you want to reward teams playing hard schedules, or do you want to reward teams playing easy conferences and then getting lucky, once?

The 4 team playoff is just too small when you have more than 4 conferences.  It just is.

I love how the chorus for years against a playoff was that "the regular season is the playoff".  That's great, but then when you're able to improve your chances at the playoff by losing late in the year (the way OSU did), or when you consider that PSU beat OSU head to head, and won the conference championship (if they do), but then OSU gets in over them because of 1 less loss during the regular season, here's where you get into losses (and the number of them) being more important than wins.  If "the regular season is the playoff", then how the hell are you fairly judging these teams who play different schedules, and a different amount of games during the regular season?  And if winning a conference doesn't matter, why even play them?  Bama and Clemson play extra games while Michigan and OSU sit at home, how would that be fair to Bama/Clemson?  And in that scenario (unlikely, but possible I guess), wouldn't we be rewarding OSU and Michigan for failing to win their divisions?  Is the regular season the playoff still?

As long as there are going to be 5 power conferences, then you need to let in all of their champs.  How do we know the Big12 champ is so much worse than the SEC champ?  They likely have completely different schedules, and in most cases play very different styles of football.  Bring in all the conference champs and then you have 3 at larges to bring in the OSUs and Michigans of the world if/when you need to.  This seems fairly simple, and keeps the importance of the regular season in tact because if you can win your conference you make the playoffs.  Maybe it involves bringing in 4 loss teams sometimes, but then if that 4 loss team wins 3 games in the playoff to win it all they seem to be pretty worthy.  If they're unworthy, they'll likely get booted at some point by a better team. 

As long as the conferences are entirely separate entities with no balance of power, no standard system of play, no restrictions on who they bring in to conference, no restrictions on how many conference games they play, no restriction on who they play outside of conference, no restriction on divisions and no restriction on even determining who the conference champion is, there should be no auto-bid into any playoff system.

Having an objective system works when the above are ALSO objective. It doesn't work when those things can be manipulated. Having a subjective system is absolutely unfair, but it also produces the best overall results year over year because things can change from year to year and rules don't keep pace with people's perceptions.

So yes, it is somewhat unfair that if Penn State wins out they wouldn't be in the playoff and Ohio State would be - but it's also undeniably the right call, because Penn State played an easier schedule and lucked out in beating Ohio State in a really weird game. It is unfair that Penn State wouldn't make it in over Michigan, either, but again - Michigan played a harder schedule, dominated said schedule, and looked otherwise significantly better. For a person who doesn't care personally about Penn State, Michigan, or Ohio State the right result is to bring in the teams that have the best shot of winning everything, regardless of fairness. 

Archived