A Plumbing Question

felice

So, if a year ago you had a leaking underground water pipe fixed, and following a moderate earthquake it appears to be leaking again in the same place, should you:

a ) get the same plumbers in because they're familiar with the pipe and a repaired section will always be a weak spot;

or b ) get someone different to fix it properly this time?

22 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Is it necessarily the plumber's fault if the pipe didn't survive an earthquake?  

I have no idea. Should a repaired pipe be as good as a pipe that's never been damaged, or should it be expected that the fix will always be weaker and prone to failure when subject to unusual stress? As far as I'm aware we didn't suffer any other damage.

It depends on how much you want to pay.  The original repair was probably acceptable, but still the weak spot in an earthquake scenario.  I'll go with what zelticgar said above.  But if you want the leak repaired like brand new, tell the plumber that.  They'll be glad to do it because it's more money for them.  They can replace that entire line or similar to eliminate the weak point.  Or you can save some dough and get it patched up again, until the next natural disaster strikes (hopefully never).

Yeah - going with the majority here - expecting underground things to be unaffected by moving ground seems a tad optimistic.

A repair job will never be as strong as the original - if that's what you're after, then you're talking about replacement, not repair; and you can feel free to shift the decimal point on the quote; probably a couple of places.

Archived