The heights of some characters?

Quellon

Here is what I wondered about: if Robert Baratheon was estimated to be 6foot6, then how tall was Eddard? I guess he'd have to be significantly shorter, since Catelyn described him as not as big as his brother Brandon. I imagine Brandon was around Robert's height or near it. 6'4 perhaps. Eddard would then have to be around 5'10, like the actor portraying him. Average height. But what about Jon Snow? In the show he is played by a rather short actor, but is his height mentioned anywhere in the books? I haven't read the first book, you know...ashamed to admit it, but I started watching the show before I started on the books. ;) Is he anywhere described as short, average or tall? And same goes for Robb.

44 minutes ago, Quellon said:

Here is what I wondered about: if Robert Baratheon was estimated to be 6foot6, then how tall was Eddard? I guess he'd have to be significantly shorter, since Catelyn described him as not as big as his brother Brandon. I imagine Brandon was around Robert's height or near it. 6'4 perhaps. Eddard would then have to be around 5'10, like the actor portraying him. Average height. But what about Jon Snow? In the show he is played by a rather short actor, but is his height mentioned anywhere in the books? I haven't read the first book, you know...ashamed to admit it, but I started watching the show before I started on the books. ;) Is he anywhere described as short, average or tall? And same goes for Robb.

Robb was described as being shorter than Joffrey.  Also, Catelyn silently wished Robb would grow as tall as Ned.  That's about what I can remember being described.  I don't recall Jon's height being described at any point but the Old Bear recommended him wearing Longclaw over his shoulder instead of his waist

25 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

Robb was described as being shorter than Joffrey.  Also, Catelyn silently wished Robb would grow as tall as Ned.  That's about what I can remember being described.  I don't recall Jon's height being described at any point but the Old Bear recommended him wearing Longclaw over his shoulder instead of his waist

So...maybe Ned wasn't short, just shorter than Brandon. I mean, maybe he was TALL but not as tall as Brandon, which again means Brandon must have been of Robert's height. Ned was probably meant to be about 6 feet or 6'1 and Brandon 6'4-6'5. And that quote about Jon is interesting...it may mean that if he carried Longclaw on his waist, it would touch the ground since he wasn't tall enough. I certainly don't imagine Jon as a tall lad. At best average height, 5'9 or something. A bit taller than the actor perhaps.

Ok, about the rest; we know that Brienne is taller than Renly and Jamie but a little shorter than The Hound. That would put her somewhere around 6'4. If we are going by The Hound from the series (who is 6'6), which I think about corresponds to the one from the books. Renly and Jamie are both described as tall, so I guess I'd place them in the 6'2-ish cathegory. And Stannis must belong there as well, for he is described as large. Or maybe he's even taller. Can't be over 6'4 I think. Tywin is most likely of same height as Jamie, as Jamie is like his physical copy. Loras is shorter than his brother Garlan who must be of Renly's height, since he was chosen to worn Renly's armour in the Blackwater Bay Battle. That means Loras can't be over 6 feet, most likely is the same height as the actor (5'11) or even a little shorter. Littlefinger is one of the shortest male characters I guess, he is most likely around 5'8. Yohn Royce is described as tall as The Hound, so that one is a no-brainer. And now the ones I most wondered about: The Greyjoy's! Victarion obviously must be as tall as The Hound, at least, because he is described as towering over everyone except for that one giant. Aeron is described as tall but considerably shorter, so he must be between 6 feet and 6'3. Same goes for Euron and Balon. What about Theon?

Ned seems a little shorter than 1,80m (about 6feet). I think he's of average/slightly shorter height. 

He's described as both uglier and shorter than Brandon by Cat. Besides Sansa(tall for a girl) his children are not that tall. Robb is shorter than Jon, who Stannis towers over and Jon's dad Rhaegar is teller than Vysaris(HotU-vision). Robb is also shorter than Joffrey. 

Lyanna(assuming She's the KotLT) is also quite short, but more athletic than Ned. 

Ned is never described a great warrior, so is probably not obviously tall. Brandon was so he was probably a big man. 

Also, Ice is longer than Robb is tall. The sword hangs on Ned's back, not touching the floor. This makes Ned probably at least a little over a head (a foot or something) taller than Robb. 

Ned is also described as being older looking than his mid-thirties, so he is probably not of great physical stature.

To conclude: His children are of average height, with Rhaegar probably being taller since Lyanna was short, Cat seems of average height but Jon is taller than Robb. He is not a great warrior and all Baratheons are taller. He seems quite average, Maybe a little shorter. 

Robert is kind of the benchmark for tall characters. He was 6'6. Brienne is described as the same height as him, so she is at 6'6 too. The Hound is bigger. I don't recall him being described as only a little taller than Robert. In fact, my recollection is that he is about 6'8 or thereabouts. In other words, a giant in his own right.

Gregor Clegane is the tallest Non Giant person IIRC. At nearly 8', with Sandor coming in at taller than Brienne of Tarth, (6'6")but shorter than the Great John. Who is 7' or slightly under. 

Robert was 6'6", and Renly is shorter than Brienne (also 6 and a half foot) by several inches according to GRRM. So I'd put him at no more than 6'3". 

Stannis is also tall, but we don't seem to have any information as to how tall? or if he was shorter than Robert? But he towers over 17 year old Jon. But bear in mind Jon won't be at his full height yet. Most men stop growing in their early 20's. 

I think it is safe to say that there are some really tall people in ASOIAF. 

I'm kinda curious where Arya is going to top out as she gets depicted as short a lot, but she was just tiny because of age and not stature in the books.  Hell I don't think she's depicted as short once she hits Braavos for her age.

Pretty sure Sansa in the books isn't going to be a slight women either.  

2 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Quellon Greyjoy is very tall I think, 6'6'?

I guess so. Victarion must have inherited his size from someone. And Quellon is described as very tall, yes. Actually, it says "six and a half feet tall", so that means he was 6'5. I think Victarion is at least 6'6 or 6'7.

Another size thread from a while back had Victarion at 6'9". 

6 and a half foot is 6'6" though not 6'5". There are 12" in a foot. 

Arya's legs are described by herself as long and springy in ADWD, and Sansa is a tall girl. I think it likely both will be taller than average eventually. 

I usually assume the average make character is probably about 5'10", the general height of your average American/European. So, to answer the original question, I'd say Ned was probably just short of 6 feet...not really tall, but not short. 

I know the Mountain is supposed to be nearly 8 feet...but realistically there's no way he can be 8 feet and be as diesel as he is. Once you get past like 7'6" your joints and organs (heart specifically) start to struggle hard, and everything about him seems to show him in pretty peak murder-and-pillaging condition in his mid-to-late 30's. The latest actor in the show is 6'9", 400 lbs, and I'd say that's pretty dead on. I also think weight is a pretty huge piece often left out of character size comparison, especially with warriors. 

the way I see it 

- Mountain - 6'10" (realistically)

- Victarion - 6'8"

- Greatjon - 6'8"

- Hound - 6'8" (ish)

- Robert - 6'6"

- Khal Drogo - 6'6"

- Brandon - 6'4"

- Brienne - 6'2" or 6'3"

- Stannis - 6'2"

- Jaime - 6'2"ish

- Loras - 6'

- Ned - 5'11"

- Jon - 5'10" or 5'11"

- Littlefinger - 5'8"

I've also noticed that as far as being a warrior goes, being over 6 foot is pretty crucial. 

18 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

I usually assume the average make character is probably about 5'10", the general height of your average American/European. So, to answer the original question, I'd say Ned was probably just short of 6 feet...not really tall, but not short. 

I know the Mountain is supposed to be nearly 8 feet...but realistically there's no way he can be 8 feet and be as diesel as he is. Once you get past like 7'6" your joints and organs (heart specifically) start to struggle hard, and everything about him seems to show him in pretty peak murder-and-pillaging condition in his mid-to-late 30's. The latest actor in the show is 6'9", 400 lbs, and I'd say that's pretty dead on. I also think weight is a pretty huge piece often left out of character size comparison, especially with warriors. 

the way I see it 

- Mountain - 6'10" (realistically)

- Victarion - 6'8"

- Greatjon - 6'8"

- Hound - 6'8" (ish)

- Robert - 6'6"

- Khal Drogo - 6'6"

- Brandon - 6'4"

- Brienne - 6'2" or 6'3"

- Stannis - 6'2"

- Jaime - 6'2"ish

- Loras - 6'

- Ned - 5'11"

- Jon - 5'10" or 5'11"

- Littlefinger - 5'8"

I've also noticed that as far as being a warrior goes, being over 6 foot is pretty crucial. 

I would make almost the same list (with gregor having a fantasy based 7'10) but brienne, who is confirmed as having robert's 6'6, and i would trade stannis with brandon... Stannis would be 6'4 and brandon 6'2, the family genetics weighing in

These are some tall folks for the age, i'm barely a 6'2 euro millenial... Jeeeeebus

2 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Another size thread from a while back had Victarion at 6'9". 

6 and a half foot is 6'6" though not 6'5". There are 12" in a foot. 

Arya's legs are described by herself as long and springy in ADWD, and Sansa is a tall girl. I think it likely both will be taller than average eventually. 

Oh, thanks. :) I wondered about that. Clive Russell was listed at 6'6 (tho he looks a bit shorter now) and I remember somewhere reading him being described as "six and a half feet".  That made me wonder. Victarion 6'9? Well...might be. He certainly is a giant. ;) Asha is also described as tall btw. And yeah, Khal Drogo must be over 6'5 too. Jason is 6'5, although listed at 6'4 many places.

Archived