The Last Kingdom II - NO MERCY [SPOlLERS Season I & II]

Veltigar

One thing does bug me, that's how little of this series can be found on youtube. Sometimes I just want to go back and watch the final battle scene, just to shout NO MERCY, but it hasn't popped up yet. A shame really. Luckily, a short part of the most beautiful scene can be found online :D

I don't know why, but I find that scene really profoundly moving. It's stunning in its simplicity. A perfect spiritual marriage of acting, dialogue, directing and score.

14 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm expecting this thread to be at the top of the board for the duration of S2...if it doesn't require a third thread between now and then..... this show appears to be among the more universally loved shows among the Entertainment Board faithful.... 

It's one of those rare series that is both a crowdpleaser and a great artistic experience (or at least season one was). I hope this second season is as powerful as that first, because I would love for this series to blow up and become the next big thing if it can keep the quality this high.

6 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

It's one of those rare series that is both a crowdpleaser and a great artistic experience (or at least season one was). I hope this second season is as powerful as that first, because I would love for this series to blow up and become the next big thing if it can keep the quality this high.

Yep, I agree. Not only is it bloodthirsty and exciting and sexy, it's also very well made and artistic. Really looking forward to season two.

Don't rule out the significant contribution to show watcher numbers and commentators its availability simultaneously in the UK and the US from Netflix streaming.

Additionally, there have been already, before there was a television adaptation, long discussions about the Saxon Chronicles on this board among the many of us who have read the series, as the books became available.

And not just here -- on the historical fiction boards I frequent.  There was a deep audience already built for this show -- and as far as I can tell from the commentators on the historical fiction boards, which are predominately women, large numbers of women are faithful Cornwell readers -- thanks, perhaps? to Sean Bean as Sharpe, in the BBC adaptations of the Sharpe series?

For ex -- a very people have told this board about Young Pope.  Though it sounds excellent from their descriptions, most of us can't see it.  Most of us in different places will see it at different times and in different ways, and it is entirely original scripted drama.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally started watching last night and have made my way through the first four episodes. I finished the book at the very beginning of the year and don't have the greatest recollection of some points. Like, I don't recall Uhtred being held hostage. And Leofric's portrayal , while enjoyable, seems ahead of itself in that it took a while for them to develop any sort  of camaraderie. At any rate, misremebering or not I'm enjoying it mostly because the actor portraying Uhtred is so incredibly easy to look at. ;)

Does the first season only encompass the first book? I have The Pale Horseman on my TBR.

15 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

I finally started watching last night and have made my way through the first four episodes. I finished the book at the very beginning of the year and don't have the greatest recollection of some points. Like, I don't recall Uhtred being held hostage. And Leofric's portrayal , while enjoyable, seems ahead of itself in that it took a while for them to develop any sort  of camaraderie. At any rate, misremebering or not I'm enjoying it mostly because the actor portraying Uhtred is so incredibly easy to look at. ;)

Does the first season only encompass the first book? I have The Pale Horseman on my TBR.

No, Pale Horseman is compressed into the last 3 episodes.

I'm about half way through reading The Flame Bearer, the latest volume in The Saxon Tales, as this historical fiction sequence is now called (the series seems to change names as often as certain voters who can't decide . . . .  :read:). Earlier this week I re-watched again Last Kingdom's first television series.  Both have encouraged my enthusiasm for the next television installment.

Well, I blew through it this weekend. Really enjoyed it even though the pace seems almost too fast. And I attribute that to the aging up of Uhtred and Brida (the actors are in their early 30s) so while you really get how immature Uhtred starts off as, his maturity doesn't feel as organic because it feels like weeks have passed instead of months and months, if not longer. I really enjoyed Guthrum and I wasn't expecting that. All in all, I look forward to starting The Pale Horseman and getting ahead of the series again via book.

9 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The Last Kingdom: Creating the world

Amazing talent and commitment.  It seems also the producers are committed to keeping the series going for a while, since they've invested so much and in so much quality.

Does anyone know whether BREXIT will affect the BBC - Netflix ability to continue working in Hungary, a member of the EU?

ETA:  I just saw in an article from this autumn that the second season might not be ready to view until late next year, or maybe even 2018.  I also saw that the average number of viewers per episode was 2. 7 million, though that's for BBC only, as netflix doesn't release viewer numbers.  With even two seasons completed though, one does expect the viewer numbers to increase greatly, when people become aware of it, as there's such solid fan base for the Uhtred novels.

4 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

OMG there's a book series!  Ok, so now I know how I'll get my fix until next season.

You don't need to worry about the book series being incomplete. I'm reading the just published 10th volume in the series, and I can assure you, whether or not there are more books to come, there is decent closure.

15 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The Last Kingdom: Creating the world

great find Ancalagon :D I'm really happy to have seen this. My God, no wonder this series is so amazing :)

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

You don't need to worry about the book series being incomplete. I'm reading the just published 10th volume in the series, and I can assure you, whether or not there are more books to come, there is decent closure.

I'm glad to hear that.  Does Uhtred continue as the main character in each book?

One of the things I loved about this series is that while there were some open threads left, there was still a sense of closure to the season.  More shows need to follow this formula.  I'm not coming back to the show next season because of a cliffhanger, but because it's a genuinely well-crafted and thoroughly entertaining story.  

The one issue I do have with the series (and you all had to know this was coming lol) is the lack of women's stories.  The female characters are very well drawn and cast, but they tend to exist as support for the men or to drive the male plots.  I think Mildrith might be close to having her own story going forth seeing as we checked in with her towards the end when she'd become a nun, though right now it's still unclear if the scenes were about her or about Odda and Uhtred.  I think she and Brida should have had their own stories, especially when Brida had a line or two about not wanting to be a Saxon woman, presumably due to the lack of choice and agency Saxon women experienced, which we saw when Mildrith was married off without anyone really asking her opinion.  I'm looking at Season 2's cast and there aren't many women, but hopefully we'll still get some women focused stories.  If not that, at least the female characters they do have are written so well.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm glad to hear that.  Does Uhtred continue as the main character in each book?

One of the things I loved about this series is that while there were some open threads left, there was still a sense of closure to the season.  More shows need to follow this formula.  I'm not coming back to the show next season because of a cliffhanger, but because it's a genuinely well-crafted and thoroughly entertaining story.  

The one issue I do have with the series (and you all had to know this was coming lol) is the lack of women's stories.  The female characters are very well drawn and cast, but they tend to exist as support for the men or to drive the male plots.  I think Mildrith might be close to having her own story going forth seeing as we checked in with her towards the end when she'd become a nun, though right now it's still unclear if the scenes were about her or about Odda and Uhtred.  I think she and Brida should have had their own stories, especially when Brida had a line or two about not wanting to be a Saxon woman, presumably due to the lack of choice and agency Saxon women experienced, which we saw when Mildrith was married off without anyone really asking her opinion.  I'm looking at Season 2's cast and there aren't many women, but hopefully we'll still get some women focused stories.  If not that, at least the female characters they do have are written so well.

This entire series is laid out in the opening of the first book.* It's the story of Uhtred, son of Uhtred, trying to get his rightful home of Bebbanburg back as well as how his story as it intermingles with Alfred. So women and other men will always be side characters to those two. I'm sure the more read persons here can confirm or expand on that. 

*No snark intended. 

Archived