The Last Kingdom II - NO MERCY [SPOlLERS Season I & II]

Veltigar

12 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

Ah ok, I thought there might have been a second series out already as I've not been following it much, I was a casual viewer.

The books are quite good though I expect, I've read a couple from his Sharpe series which I enjoyed.

Cornwell is supreme at what he does -- as long as he stays away from USian subjects such a Paul Revere, or the Civil War . . . . :)

2 hours ago, matt b said:

David Dawson, actually. Loved his relatively small role on Ripper Street, he really made the best of it. David Thewlis is a different guy, and a damn fine actor in his own right.

Oh, no I see how wrong I was :)

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I've discovered such joy in saying this to people the last couple days.  

It's basically the ultimate fistpump moment :D  I'm really sad that I can't find that scene on youtube, sometimes I just want to watch it to rev my engine and I just can't find it :( 

15 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Also, I just have to say that I'm still not over Leofric.  I was gutted.  GUTTED!  

Yep, plus my pain was doubled by the fact the Leofric seems to have been merged with Steapa - if so we lost two of Uhtred's better supporters/friends in one go and unless there's some mixing with the timelines in S2 it might be a while til a certain Irishman comes along

I need to get on top of reading these books because I find I don't want to be spoiled but I definitely don't want to ask that this be a book spoiler free thread.  I might hold off on responding or reading this thread until I get through at least the first and second books.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I need to get on top of reading these books because I find I don't want to be spoiled but I definitely don't want to ask that this be a book spoiler free thread.  I might hold off on responding or reading this thread until I get through at least the first and second books.

It's intended to be free of bookspoilers ;) I'll edit the title. I still have to read the last book, so I don't want to get spoiled myself ;) 

I've finished the latest one, published here last month.  I'm not tellin' nothin' other than readesr will not be disappointed  -- which wasn't the case with 2 - 3 of the middle volumes.

Since I read these books, each one, upon publication, many details of the earlier books have become silt at the bottom of my memory.  Thus, there were no spoilers for watching (plus, the changes!) the television adaptation, other than having the general trajectory of 'what happens' in mind. But then, I'm not one who cares about spoilers.

I haven't picked up the books from the library yet.  But I can't get this show out of my head so I started the first episode again.  

Lol, I'm hooked.  I've honestly never really cared about Anglo Saxon history or the Viking era beyond what entertainment value it offers me.  I find myself really interested now.

Just read the last novel. I was very happily surprised, because before Zorral mentioned it, I had no idea there was a new one. I have grown so accustomed to authors taking years and year that I'm in awe of those writers who manage to churn out such enjoyable reads as Cornwell every year without fault. It's not a spoiler to say that I liked it 

Spoiler

Certainly, it isn't one of the strongest tales in the series and it is definitely starting to get a bit repetitive. I'm glad for Uthred though, now that he finally managed to reclaim Bebbanburg. Still, I wish Cornwell would invest in better foes. As the first season of the series has shown, it's the villains who really help the material shine.

17 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Just read the last novel. I was very happily surprised, because before Zorral mentioned it, I had no idea there was a new one. I have grown so accustomed to authors taking years and year that I'm in awe of those writers who manage to churn out such enjoyable reads as Cornwell every year without fault. It's not a spoiler to say that I liked it 

Reveal hidden contents

certainly it isn't one of the strongest tales and it is definitely starting to get a bit repetitive. i'm glad for Uthred though, now that he finally managed to reclaim Bebbanburg. Still, I wish Cornwell would invest in better foes. As the first season of the series has shown, it's the villains who really help the material shine.

Spoiler

One might suspect that the author is just a teensy bit too in love with his protag . . . .  :read::D

I've finally gotten around to watching the whole of the first season. My initial opinion of the show totally flipped, having not really enjoyed that first episode. Problem was I was comparing it to Game of Thrones. Actually having a break from GoT and watching Vikings in between means I can compare it to that instead.. and Last Kingdom stands up incredibly well against Vikings, in fact it could basically be the same show in some ways. Its tonally almost identical, deals with most of the same issues and has a similar central character with similair relationship dynamics. 

Any chance vikings was copied from the Last Kingdom novels btw?

7 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I've finally gotten around to watching the whole of the first season. My initial opinion of the show totally flipped, having not really enjoyed that first episode. Problem was I was comparing it to Game of Thrones. Actually having a break from GoT and watching Vikings in between means I can compare it to that instead.. and Last Kingdom stands up incredibly well against Vikings, in fact it could basically be the same show in some ways. Its tonally almost identical, deals with most of the same issues and has a similar central character with similair relationship dynamics. 

Any chance vikings was copied from the Last Kingdom novels btw?

Chronologically Vikings would be a prequel to the events in the Last Kingdom. As turned off as I am from Vikings ATM I don't think it was copied from TLK

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Chronologically Vikings would be a prequel to the events in the Last Kingdom. As turned off as I am from Vikings ATM I don't think it was copied from TLK

Nor was TLK copied from Vikings as some suggest.  :lmao:

On 2016. 12. 06. at 7:16 PM, Zorral said:

Does anyone know whether BREXIT will affect the BBC - Netflix ability to continue working in Hungary, a member of the EU?

ETA:  I just saw in an article from this autumn that the second season might not be ready to view until late next year, or maybe even 2018.  I also saw that the average number of viewers per episode was 2. 7 million, though that's for BBC only, as netflix doesn't release viewer numbers.  With even two seasons completed though, one does expect the viewer numbers to increase greatly, when people become aware of it, as there's such solid fan base for the Uhtred novels.

I doubt that. Netflix is an American company and they are present in many places in and outside of the EU. Brexit shouldn't have anything to do with this. 

Oh come on now, really? I didn't like this show, but a friend of mine was on the horse stunt crew (and Alexander Dreymon is my dream Rhaegar) so I would still tune in.

I binged watched this earlier this week and really liked it. The final episode was a bit Alfred heavy and the battle was meh after having seen Vikings and, of course, GoT. The guy playing Uhtred is a damn good actor. Not sure why the angry nun and the kid who watches the horses are riding off with him in the final shot. I'll miss Prof. Quirrell if he's not in S2. Ditto for Aethelwold, aka lesser version of Tyrion.

The battle was meh after seeing Vikings and GoT?

It was probably the only instance of shield wall against shield wall we've seen on television. The first true rendering of how a medieval battle really looked like. And it was fucking awesome.

5 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

The final episode was a bit Alfred heavy and the battle was meh after having seen Vikings and, of course, GoT. 

On that we agree.  The battles on TLK are weak sauce by comparison. 

And of course it rips off Vikings, from the very idea to make a television series about that period in history to the face tattoos, hipster haircuts and guyliner

https://www.google.com/search?q=last+kingdom+vikings&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjomsi9nfzQAhXLh1QKHVNhDogQ_AUICCgC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=mq1dcgoQ9Xs5tM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=last+kingdom+vikings&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjomsi9nfzQAhXLh1QKHVNhDogQ_AUICCgC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=4l5bqJKFmkWwNM%3A

4 minutes ago, generalzod said:

On that we agree.  The battles on TLK are weak sauce by comparison. 

And of course it rips off Vikings, from the very idea to make a television series about that period in history to the face tattoos, hipster haircuts and guyliner

https://www.google.com/search?q=last+kingdom+vikings&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjomsi9nfzQAhXLh1QKHVNhDogQ_AUICCgC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=mq1dcgoQ9Xs5tM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=last+kingdom+vikings&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjomsi9nfzQAhXLh1QKHVNhDogQ_AUICCgC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=4l5bqJKFmkWwNM%3A

Good grief. Mate, it's your arguments that are weak sauce. Not to mention tedious and peurile. IMDB ratings as a gauge of quality? Give me a break. And do you really think that Michael Hirst was the first to come up with the idea of tattooed vikings? I'll tell you who came up with that idea. It was History.

Archived