The Last Kingdom II - NO MERCY [SPOlLERS Season I & II]

Veltigar

18 hours ago, red snow said:

None of the ones on the BBCs website mentions a date. The homepage for the show doesn't even mention it so I'm still standing by my claim that the BBC are notoriously shy with telling people when their shows will air until a week beforehand. Google searches give me a date but largely for netflix's airdate.

Here's a list of trailers on the BBC for upcoming dramas and it's still pot luck as to whether they'll specify a time. I'm not making it up for the sake of it - I genuinely find it hard to know when the BBC have shows coming out unless Ancalagon tells me on the forum :P . I don't have any issues with finding out when a show is airing in the US or on Amazon/netflix. Even ITV and Channel rarely present a problem (but maybe that's because I seek outless of their programming?).

Oh definitely; and the Beeb tends to advertise it's shows by the season; with 1 ad covering 8-10 different programmes; and yes, it's annoying.

However, the delay in announcements only annoys me when I end up missing the first episode of something I wanted to watch because I don't watch much TV, and have a much reduced chance of catching the ad.s that actually state a date. Otherwise, I don't need to know the start date more than 1 week ahead, as my programme guide only goes that far, so I can't plug it in, and I don't care enough to put it in a diary or anything.

18 hours ago, red snow said:

Thanks for the info on the pacing of the books. I'm pleased it looks like the show books travel at a slower pace than vikings does - it gives things more time to breathe and also helps with the plausibility of having a core cast that's present through a lot of changes.

I wonder if the author and production team will try and fix the problems with the mid-series slump? If they know this is how people felt about the books then I guess it's reasonable to think the TV show could suffer a similar fate. Maybe they can condense events eg get all the bad stuff out of the way or even consider skipping it? I guess trying to fix the problems is ideal.

I am absolutely convinced that that is the case; the difficulty though comes from the real history; there's not a lot you can write about the life of a warlord during times of peace.

Spoiler

Book 1 covers: 866-876; skipping a lot of his childhood between his capture by Ragnar, and the hall burning - dictated by the fall of York, and the Battle of Cynuit.
Book 2 covers: 876-878; dictated by trying to find something for him to do during peace (going viking); Alfred's withdrawal to Athelney, and the Battle of Ethandun.

Spoiler

Book 3 covers: 878-881; dictated by the rise of Guthred; something to do during peace (slavery); and the securing of Guthred's kingdom.

Book 4 covers: a looser time frame; roughly 885-888 or so; covering the securing of London, Aethelflaed marriage and a battle fought in Cornwell's hometown, we know-not-when.

etc etc

So the difficulty is introducing the real history at the right time, without huge leaps where there's no story to tell mid-season.
I suspect that, for the show, they'll take (even) more liberties with the real-life time-line, and call it 5 years pass between seasons; and then condense a decade's action into a year or two on-screen.

40 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Oh definitely; and the Beeb tends to advertise it's shows by the season; with 1 ad covering 8-10 different programmes; and yes, it's annoying.

However, the delay in announcements only annoys me when I end up missing the first episode of something I wanted to watch because I don't watch much TV, and have a much reduced chance of catching the ad.s that actually state a date. Otherwise, I don't need to know the start date more than 1 week ahead, as my programme guide only goes that far, so I can't plug it in, and I don't care enough to put it in a diary or anything.

I am absolutely convinced that that is the case; the difficulty though comes from the real history; there's not a lot you can write about the life of a warlord during times of peace.

Hide contents

Book 1 covers: 866-876; skipping a lot of his childhood between his capture by Ragnar, and the hall burning - dictated by the fall of York, and the Battle of Cynuit.
Book 2 covers: 876-878; dictated by trying to find something for him to do during peace (going viking); Alfred's withdrawal to Athelney, and the Battle of Ethandun.

Reveal hidden contents

Book 3 covers: 878-881; dictated by the rise of Guthred; something to do during peace (slavery); and the securing of Guthred's kingdom.

Book 4 covers: a looser time frame; roughly 885-888 or so; covering the securing of London, Aethelflaed marriage and a battle fought in Cornwell's hometown, we know-not-when.

etc etc

So the difficulty is introducing the real history at the right time, without huge leaps where there's no story to tell mid-season.
I suspect that, for the show, they'll take (even) more liberties with the real-life time-line, and call it 5 years pass between seasons; and then condense a decade's action into a year or two on-screen.

Agreed that as long as I don't miss an episode it's not the end of the world - especially when I rarely watch live broadcasts. Just seems odd from a business sense.

I got a giggle out of "it's hard to do a show about a warlord in times of peace". I guess this suggests the books were genuine filler in places due to the history.

As Vikings comparisons are impossible to avoid it does seem like they go the opposite extreme of skipping time (with lead characters never really ageing) in order to loosely fit history. I think if I ever watched season 2 of Rome again I'd be more frustrated with the fact they condensed a decade's worth of civil war into a couple of episodes. I didn't know that at the time I watched it though.

Anyone know if they are releasing the entire series "Netflix style" - on Netflix..er...- or if they are going to be releasing the 2nd season one episode at a time?

Really looking forward to this in a couple days, very much enjoyed the first season, and have watched it several times now.

56 minutes ago, SerHaHa said:

Anyone know if they are releasing the entire series "Netflix style" - on Netflix..er...- or if they are going to be releasing the 2nd season one episode at a time?

Really looking forward to this in a couple days, very much enjoyed the first season, and have watched it several times now.

Well in the UK it's week-to-week on BBC. Not that this means too much for the U.S. though. Last year Peaky Blinders was week-to-week and the U.S got a full Netflix release when we were still on episode 4 I think. Certainly before the season ended. And iirc that wasn't announced until just before the season began. So long story short, keep your eyes open for some announcement

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Has to be all at once if it's on Netflix, no? To my knowledge they've never done a show otherwise. 

Netflix UK does air stuff week-by-week (Orphan Black is the one stat immediately spring sports to mind)

Has to be all at once if it's on Netflix, no? To my knowledge they've never done a show otherwise. 

That stupid president/WH show with Kiefer Sutherland is week to week on Netflix in various regions/countries where it airs, and I've seen other programs that are the same, and follow the TV scheduled release dates (booo).

I would not expect to see season 2 on Netflix US right now, if I were you. I have searched for information about it, and found little concrete info.

None of the sites that report on what's coming on Netflix, such as this one, are mentioning it. Some articles do say that Netflix will start streaming it on the same day in some countries outside the UK (but no mention of which countries), and other speculate that Netflix will release it after it finishes airing on BBC in the UK, though when exactly is also up for debate. I would think if that's the case, then it should be released in May, but I've seen talk about being released late in the year.

I'm not in the US, and Canada's Netflix region specifically has advertised it - I use VPNs to watch Netflix in all regions, they cracked down on a few, but I have 2 VPNs that have access to every Netflix region/servers, and have servers that haven't been found yet by the anti-VPN teams at Netflix.

When I logged into Canada's Netflix a couple days ago it had a large top of site advertisement for Last Kingdom Season 2, just no other info than the start date.  Netflix Canada also has the trailer for Season 2 as the first item under the little bell/what's new button in the top right of the Netflix control panel/website controls.

It 100% is coming out tomorrow in various Netflix regions, that isn't speculation, it's fact, otherwise Netflix wouldn't be advertising it in the number 1 spot on their homepage in 4 different regions I just checked.   I suppose at 1am I'll know if it's the first episode only or the entire season.

BOOO.  The icon for the program on Netflix just changed at 1AM on the 16th, the day it's advertised to release - it's the same as other Netflix shows that run concurrently with TV released episodes weekly, the icon box now says "New Episodes Weekly", it's identical to the icon/thumbnail for "Designated Survivor".  No new episode yet either, I imagine it won't be available until tonight, close to or after the time it's released live on TV. Again, BOOOOO.

I think it was wildly optimistic to think netflix would air the entire show when the BBC are still the co/main funders of the show. A lot of people have netflix and a fair few of them have region switching options. Letting netfix have the whole season just encourages the hardcore audience to watch it on netflix or torrent it.

If it's on in the UK at 9/10 tonight I guess the US will get it at 3/4 on the east coast.

Netflix themselves are often fairer with this but still let the rest of the world get it when the US does. eg Iron fist won't be out at 1am in the UK tomorrow but it will be there at 8am (I know from getting up too early for Daredevil)

It's the opposite of The Expanse, but that's even worse as we don't get the show at all until the whole season is finished airing in the US (so we won't see Season 2 at all for another month).

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

It's the opposite of The Expanse, but that's even worse as we don't get the show at all until the whole season is finished airing in the US (so we won't see Season 2 at all for another month).

not getting it weekly is a bit harsh although I've managed to be patient and wait - although that could be taken as a bad sign.

Off to a good start, really enjoyed this episode. Favourite part was probably Uthred as the Messenger of Odin and Sven's stumbling through the woods.

The scene with Thyra was pretty good too. Nice and creepy/mystical.

I love Beocca and Uhtred's dynamic. And Uhtred pretending to be Guthred :lmao: The Lord showed me your face...

Dont remember the novels well enough to say how much the show is diverging. Seems to have moved very quickly (not that I'm complaining)

I vaguely remember the random man who is accompanying Uthred and the nun from the first season, but can't really remember who he is or how he ended up following him?

Uthred's raid on the slavers was amusing. It does rely quite heavily on them being idiots, but given that Sven is in charge that's probably a safe assumption.

The abbot being confused about Guthred's identity was also amusing, although I am curious about why he chose to proclaim Guthred King when he doesn't apparently know him and what his real plan is.

Beocca is always fun, I also liked Uthred's verbal sparring with the nun.

I liked the scenes where everyone except Uthred is obsessed with St Cuthbert, it shows how different the mindset was and how saints were regarded..

16 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

BOOO.  The icon for the program on Netflix just changed at 1AM on the 16th, the day it's advertised to release - it's the same as other Netflix shows that run concurrently with TV released episodes weekly, the icon box now says "New Episodes Weekly", it's identical to the icon/thumbnail for "Designated Survivor".  No new episode yet either, I imagine it won't be available until tonight, close to or after the time it's released live on TV. Again, BOOOOO.

Well, it's evening in the U.S. and no new episodes. How about in Canada?

Just finished the first episode of season 2.

I noticed that the thumbnail for Last Kingdom on US region Netflix doesn't have the new graphics, nor the "New episodes coming weekly" infographics at the bottom of the thumbnail for the show in the Netflix page like Canada has right now.  Maybe it isn't coming out for a while in the USA....

And Uhtred pretending to be Guthred :lmao: The Lord showed me your face...

Enjoyed that part as well.  "Uhtred, that borders on blasphemy".

Archived