The Last Kingdom II - NO MERCY [SPOlLERS Season I & II]

Veltigar

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

That's... not true. At least not where I am. It's still netflix.com. The other URLs are just redirections to netflix.com.

Yes,for US customers it goes to the main address.For others,there is an addition to the url addy,eg. /in is India,/gb is UK,/ca is Canada.

That was good and the show continues to be solid. I really like Gisela, she great in the books and she's also very good here. I also really like it every time Uhtred and Beocca have a one-on-one discussion, the actor really work well together in those scenes and really comes of as old friends. We're now coming into the territory when both Alfred and Uhtred start to become major dicks so that will be fun to watch. And we got Pyrlig too which is nice, but I'm guessing that might mean we won't get that much more of warrior-Hild, which would be a shame.

I hope Haesten get a lot more screen time and I hope he manages to build up some sort of relationship with Uhtred so that they can at least come closer to the relationship they have in the books.

Finan looked better with long hair, the new haircut looks way too modern. And what the fuck is that leather thing he's wearing? Would it kill them to put the characters in something that at least looks like it could be armor. I think Steapa is the single best armored man in the whole of England.

Siegfrid's stump-knife looks dumb.

Probably my favourite episode. I think because it felt very substantial and covered a lot of stuff, including more intimate details of day-to-day life and politics in Wessex, as opposed to "we must ride off to battle now." 

Bjorn rising from the grave was well done, nice build up of the creepy atmosphere and good that they made the guy look so corpse-like. I do t have a problem if Uhtred falls for it, even if he used a similar trick himself it doesn't mean he and the other characters aren't incredibly superstitious. We already know he had his doubts, hence why he posted Sihtric to watch in secret. So I think a lot will turn on how Sihtric reports to him. 

The two brothers are really good, I love the casting for them. Hoping we get to see some of the attack on Lunden. 

Beocca and Uhtred have such great chemistry on screen so I really buy their relationship. Same with Uhtred and Gisela, Steapa, Finan, Odda...basically the whole cast works very well together. 

Alfred and his wife seem to have become insufferable in the three year time jump. Makes sense though and makes for good TV. 

I missed Ragnar and Brida. I also hope they don't retire Hild already :( 

Weird that they're taking their time with Sword Song. Out of all the books, that's the one I would have guessed that they'd rush the most. But actually, the show slowed down quite significantly for the first time.

Spoiler

Apparently we were wrong about Hild/Pyrlig. I fail to see though the point of introducing Pyrlig that late. He hasn't much left to do now, apart from taking Sigefrid's hand, which Uhtred already did in the show... And his friendship with Uhtred got superseded by the one with Beocca and Hild, so...

They also ignored the fact that Aethelred is Uhtred's cousin. But I guess, they could still point it out later on with Uhtred on the dark about it.

God, Athelred is such a piece of shit. Seriously, fuck that guy. And Aldhelm is a weasel too. So great work by those two actors I guess.

I'm a bit surprised to see that they are bringing Osferth in. He feels kinda superfluous right now and they could easily just have had Athelwold fill part of his role, since he already has a more substantial part than he has in the book. The same can basically be said of Father Pyrlig. I also think that they might go a bit too easy on Alfred and are making him a little bit more likeable than he is in the books. That whole thing about Athelflaed's virtue being tested is a whole lot owrse in the books IIRC.

I continue too like Siegfried and Erik. They are charming enough and have a good report with each other and Uhtred. I want more Haesten though. And the stump-knife is still stupid.

I liked the attack on the camp a lot and think they managed to convey the chaos of it very well.

Spoiler

I'm curious to see how the handle Athelflaed and Erik's romance and how much we will see of it.

8 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

God, Athelred is such a piece of shit. Seriously, fuck that guy. And Aldhelm is a weasel too. So great work by those two actors I guess.

I'm a bit surprised to see that they are bringing Osferth in. He feels kinda superfluous right now and they could easily just have had Athelwold fill part of his role, since he already has a more substantial part than he has in the book. The same can basically be said of Father Pyrlig. I also think that they might go a bit too easy on Alfred and are making him a little bit more likeable than he is in the books. That whole thing about Athelflaed's virtue being tested is a whole lot owrse in the books IIRC.

I continue too like Siegfried and Erik. They are charming enough and have a good report with each other and Uhtred. I want more Haesten though. And the stump-knife is still stupid.

I liked the attack on the camp a lot and think they managed to convey the chaos of it very well.

Hide contents

I'm curious to see how the handle Athelflaed and Erik's romance and how much we will see of it.

I think that they are doing a fine job on making Alfred unlikable. Seriously, it bums me out knowing that he will eventually win. The fact that after everything they have gone through, he still treats Utred like garbage makes me dislike him rather intensely. I get that for the people of the time, god and religion were part of their reality, but the way that Alfred acts, make me want to see him under some Dane's boot.

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

I think that they are doing a fine job on making Alfred unlikable. Seriously, it bums me out knowing that he will eventually win. The fact that after everything they have gone through, he still treats Utred like garbage makes me dislike him rather intensely. I get that for the people of the time, god and religion were part of their reality, but the way that Alfred acts, make me want to see him under some Dane's boot.

He's still a dick in the show, but I feel like he's an even bigger dick in the books. Albeit for understandable reasons.

I don't have the feeling he's different in the show. They sort of did a nice thing with his wife and Odda being the devil and angel in his ears. It's just that the actor is so good, it's hard to hate him.

Spoiler

I'm bit disappointed though that we didn't get the taking of Lunden as in the books. They merged Lunden with the abduction of Aethelfaed, which is again a logical adaptation choice, but we lose the idea that Uhtred never fails in the books. Here, he falls in the trap and it's as much his fault as Aethelred, whereas in the books, Uhtred is this god sent unbeatable bastard who's always on the winning side, against all odds. He never fails. And the Aethelflead fiasco had nothing to do with him.

6 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I don't have the feeling he's different in the show. They sort of did a nice thing with his wife and Odda being the devil and angel in his ears. It's just that the actor is so good, it's hard to hate him.

Hide contents

I'm bit disappointed though that we didn't get the taking of Lunden as in the books. They merged Lunden with the abduction of Aethelfaed, which is again a logical adaptation choice, but we lose the idea that Uhtred never fails in the books. Here, he falls in the trap and it's as much his fault as Aethelred, whereas in the books, Uhtred is this god sent unbeatable bastard who's always on the winning side, against all odds. He never fails. And the Aethelflead fiasco had nothing to do with him.

Well -- in response to spoiler:

Spoiler

He did manage to be made a slave . . . .

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

Well -- in response to spoiler:

Hide contents

He did manage to be made a slave . . . .

Spoiler

Because he was betrayed by his friends. And that happens a lot. In every book, actually. It's somewhat a boring trope. Christians need him to save Christiandom, they call for him, and when he's done saving them, they turn on him, and he needs to leave... Rewind.

When he fights his enemies, he never fails.

Another great episode. Loving this season. 

Aethelred is like Odda the Younger times ten, fuck I hate him. Loved Steapa saying he trusts Uhtred and got a real kick of seeing Osferth. One of my favorite  book characters. Will be interesting to see how much he is used. 

Hope Thyra is alright, I feel like Ragnars name is respected and feared enough to keep his sister safe from fellow danes.  

She isn't really mentioned much at all in the books after marrying Beocca aside from a few lines here and there. Think she lives happily with Beocca for a relatively long time and then becomes a nun iirc. Hope they don't change her fate. 

On 4/11/2017 at 0:15 PM, Relic said:

I love the pacing of this show,  especially this season. Shit just keeps happening and the show keeps it moving at a really exciting tempo. 

Haha on another forum I just commented after watching S02E03 that the amount of shit that happened in the first three episodes of season two would have taken Game of Thrones like three years.  :lol:

But I agree I love that about this show.  It doesn't fuck around.  Shit happens at an astoundingly quick pace, and I really appreciate that because most shows take for fucking ever to get to the point.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Haha on another forum I just commented after watching S02E03 that the amount of shit that happened in the first three episodes of season two would have taken Game of Thrones like three years.  :lol:

But I agree I love that about this show.  It doesn't fuck around.  Shit happens at an astoundingly quick pace, and I really appreciate that because most shows take for fucking ever to get to the point.

Fully agree. Especially in the Era of Peak TV,  where filler seems to reign supreme. 

Archived