Werthead

Babylon 5

129 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Loge said:

Has been a couple of years since I last watched the series, but if I recall correctly, the finale of season 5 was shot at the end of season 4 when Straczynski expected that season to be the final one. Isn't Ivanova in it?  

Yep.

BABYLON 5 Rewatch, Season 2 Episodes 9-10

The Coming of Shadows, which may be the best episode of the entire series, and GROPOS, which isn't, but it's still decent despite doing that odd American thing of obsessing over father-child relationships to the point of utter insanity.

BABYLON 5 Rewatch: Season 2, Episodes 11-12

All Alone in the Night is a pretty good story. The two twists (the dream and the revelation that Sheridan's part of a counter-conspiracy against President Clark) are excellent do some economical storytelling, getting Sheridan involved in that storyline despite not being present in the build-up to it in Season 1, and it's good to see Earthforce show up and kick some arse for once.

Acts of Sacrifice has some fantastic Londo and G'Kar scenes (it's underrated in how important it is for both of their character devleopment, I think) but it's also a bit slight and the Lumati storyline is way too silly. But it's not offensively bad.

BABYLON 5 Rewatch: Season 2, Episodes 13-14

Hunter, Prey is a very solid episode, although I was a bit upset to hear that guest star Bernie Casey had only just passed away (last month!). He was very good in both B5 and DS9 as the founder of the Maquis.

There All the Honour Lies was a lot better than I remembered: the digs at DS9, the merchandise store, the "perfect beauty" scene and the very, very witty script (Ivanova gets the best lines) are all excellent. The Minbari murder story is pretty boring though. It's a shame Peter David didn't get a chance to write for the main series again, although some of his novels for the show are very good.

BABYLON 5 Rewatch: Season 2, Episodes 15-16

And Now For a WordBabylon 5 doing Fake News before it was cool.

Knives: The last episode of Babylon 5 written before J. Michael Straczynski's ego gained complete creative control of the series.

And Now For a WordBabylon 5 doing Fake News before it was cool.

Hah, I'm surprised I've not thought of that before, but you're absolutely right, so much of B5's portrayal of the media through ISN was very prescient.  Everyone always gives ST TNG and DS9 cred for things like Ipads and such, but B5 and how they handled the press is even better IMO.  Surprising to me in a way too, as JMS is and always has been a big supporter of the freedom of the press - impressive that he wasn't afraid to criticize them, particularly since back then the only "big" cable news service was the mighty CNN.

9 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Hah, I'm surprised I've not thought of that before, but you're absolutely right, so much of B5's portrayal of the media through ISN was very prescient.  Everyone always gives ST TNG and DS9 cred for things like Ipads and such, but B5 and how they handled the press is even better IMO.  Surprising to me in a way too, as JMS is and always has been a big supporter of the freedom of the press - impressive that he wasn't afraid to criticize them, particularly since back then the only "big" cable news service was the mighty CNN.

ISN wasn't an example of criticizing free press.  It was an example of criticizing authoritarians who get into power and then turn the press into a mouthpiece for their propaganda, and for stroking the ego of the big boss in charge.

14 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

ISN wasn't an example of criticizing free press.  It was an example of criticizing authoritarians who get into power and then turn the press into a mouthpiece for their propaganda, and for stroking the ego of the big boss in charge.

Pretty much this. And I wouldn't say it was prescient, as it already had plenty of examples to draw from, i.e. all the communist regimes of the 20th century.

BABYLON 5 Rewatch: Season 2, Episodes 17-18

One of the best one-two punches in the show's history. In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum finally tells us WTF is going on and makes the stakes clear. Confessions and Lamentations is simply incredibly well-paced and delivers a massively bleak ending, all framed by one of Christopher Franke's scores. It's also, easily, the best non-arc episode the show ever did.