Fidel Castro dies

Ormond

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-38114953

Well, that's the real end of an era. As someone who was a child during the Cuban missile crisis, and is now 65, it has seemed sort of anachronistic for about two decades now that Fidel Castro was still alive when everyone else I remember as a world political figure from my childhood seems to have been long gone. I'm sure lots of people in Miami will be celebrating, and I suppose it will be easier for certain reforms to happen in Cuba now. But it's still almost hard to believe that he's finally really gone.

18 minutes ago, R'hllor's nasty lobster said:

Honestly, I expected the guy to outlive me. 

I used to joke that there was ample evidence to wonder about the supposed immortality of Fidel Castro and Keith Richards.

Well, this is tough to asses in the near term though i do think there's a lot of momentum for the true end of the embargo.

3 hours ago, R'hllor's nasty lobster said:

Honestly, I expected the guy to outlive me. 

I second that... Well, I still have Queen Elizabeth to do so...

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

Same here. However if there was one thing that could take Castro out would be 2016.

For better or worse, this year has not been boring...

3 hours ago, Commodore said:

Colin Kaepernick and fellow leftists mourn leader of workers' paradise

freedom-lovers rejoice

a glorious day

Will it change something for the people in Cuba? For millions of oppressed people all over the world? Nope. The world will continue to be... Perhaps less ugly place but his death changed nothing. 

6 hours ago, Commodore said:

Colin Kaepernick and fellow leftists mourn leader of workers' paradise

freedom-lovers rejoice

a glorious day

Yeah, not wanting to be killed by police for being black and driving a decent car.  What a communist.

Castro will never be one of my favorites.  Nevertheless, may he rest in peace.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Castro will never be one of my favorites.  Nevertheless, may he rest in peace.

Amen... Come on, people... It is not like he was trialed and sentenced to death. The man died and whatever damage he has caused is now between him and his Maker. The sad fact is that his death would probably mean nothing. The wheels will continue to spin. The world is just the same as it was yesterday. 

I am truly astonished to what point the so-called civilized Western world would sometimes stoop to humiliate someone in their death.

I won't shed a tear for Castro, but I am truly far from gloating over anyone's death. 

1 minute ago, Commodore said:

the celebrations in Miami vs the silence in Havana is telling, still an oppressive place

And that is my point. For people in Havana, it means nothing. He wasn't ruling for the past 8 years, their lives won't get any better. As for people in Miami, why? Does his death mean he is paying for what he has done to them? Well, I hope so but sincerely, it brings them nothing. They still can't go back to their country, he wasn't trialed for what he did. I mean, a man died. Nothing else. 

Archived