Is The Vale the place to be now?

Quellon

It seems like the safest and most stable of the seven kingdoms. The Reach has spent too much of its own resources in helping the Crownlands and KL, Westerlands are weakened without Tywin and without his children being able to succee him there, Riverlands are as usual half-wasted by the war and the North and Dorne are isolated, harsh and hostile as usual. The Vale has both the cunning mind of Littlefinger and the mighty hand of Yohn Royce at its' service. And the knights of the Vale, of course.

On 11/28/2016 at 3:06 PM, Stormking902 said:

it seems like all the noble houses from Dorne firmly support house Martell. 

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  House Yronwood is not going to be thrilled that its heir and its adopted son Quentyn were both killed on a secret (stupid) plan by Doran.  And House Santagar responded to Spotted Sylva joining the plot against Doran by marrying her off to Lord Estermont, who just happens to (probably) be Tommen's closest unattainted male relative, and thus probably next in line to the Iron Throne. That creates a pretty big conflict of interest for House Santagar, should Tommen go down.

Well, if the theory that the Eyrie will crash down in the worst avalanche in 8,000 years, burying all important lords currently attending the tourney at the Moon Gate is true then it would be tough to be in the Vale. We have to consider the worst scenario that the Vale Army would be depleted due to their lords killed, Timett lead the mountain clans armed by Tyrion to take over the what's left of the Moon Gate, possibility that Littlefinger's grain he saved there is buried beneath the debris and is unavailable until spring (that will probably never come), and the mountain clans might just be terrorizing the Vale.

I prefer the Reach with its bountiful food, good weather and emphasis on art and culture. The Vale though it has good security for the most part, there is still the issue of the Mountain Clans raiding roads or nearby towns. I suspect after Tyrion has given them better weapons and taught them better organization in battle, they might end up taking some of the castles now that most of the Vale will soon be off fighting in the North.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/11/2016 at 8:37 AM, Quellon said:

It seems like the safest and most stable of the seven kingdoms. The Reach has spent too much of its own resources in helping the Crownlands and KL, Westerlands are weakened without Tywin and without his children being able to succee him there, Riverlands are as usual half-wasted by the war and the North and Dorne are isolated, harsh and hostile as usual. The Vale has both the cunning mind of Littlefinger and the mighty hand of Yohn Royce at its' service. And the knights of the Vale, of course.

I agree, at the moment the Vale is a pretty great place to be. 

On 29/11/2016 at 0:02 AM, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I think that we're being set up for a major blow-up in the Vale. They seem to have gotten off far too easily, and given Littlefinger's machinations I doubt they'll remain unscathed for long. 

True. We haven't visited any places from the Vale in the books yet have we? At least, no major places like Highgarden, which will likely change as GRRM has said that the 2 Tyrell brothers will have prominent roles in the last 2 books. Something definitely has to go down there. Perhaps something with Dorne?

Edit: I mixed up the Vale and The Reach in my head for some reason - my bad!

3 minutes ago, Mat92 said:

I agree, at the moment the Vale is a pretty great place to be. 

True. We haven't visited any places from the Vale in the books yet have we? At least, no major places like Highgarden, which will likely change as GRRM has said that the 2 Tyrell brothers will have prominent roles in the last 2 books. Something definitely has to go down there. Perhaps something with Dorne?

Hell yeah. the vale is like a cool night club. JK But yeah aside from the fact tats its being ruled by a moody 8 year old I would say its in better shape.

1 minute ago, Wrl6199 said:

Hell yeah. the vale is like a cool night club. JK But yeah aside from the fact tats its being ruled by a moody 8 year old I would say its in better shape.

Oh crap I've mixed up the Vale and the Reach. What the hell is wrong with me... I need a coffee!

I'm so ashamed after that :/ haha. 

On 2.12.2016 at 0:22 AM, Kaibaman said:

I prefer the Reach with its bountiful food, good weather and emphasis on art and culture. The Vale though it has good security for the most part, there is still the issue of the Mountain Clans raiding roads or nearby towns. I suspect after Tyrion has given them better weapons and taught them better organization in battle, they might end up taking some of the castles now that most of the Vale will soon be off fighting in the North.

But the Reach has Ironborn raiding the coasts and up and down the Mander, as well as dornish and who knows who else pretty soon. 

On 28-11-2016 at 1:37 AM, Quellon said:

I don't think the Vale won't stay the safest and most stable kingdom for much longer:

That mountain called the Giant's Lance is a Chekhov avalanche canon waiting to go off, with plenty of foreshadowing that it will destroy the Eyrie, the Gates of the Moon at the bottom of it (where a tourney will be held with plenty of sons and heirs of families of all the Vale, except for Yohn Royce's), and damage the battlements of the Bloody Gate, enough for the Mountain Clans to conquer and pass.  

Archived