Convince me that breakfast wasn't a terrible act of self-harm

Stannis Eats No Peaches

If I can get it, I'm a traditionalist for the full Israeli breakfast - salads+cheese+omelette. The lack fresh vegetables at breakfast is usually what strikes me as off if i'm travelling. Burundian breakfast consists of rice, beans and boiled amaranth leaves. However, so does Burundian lunch and Burundian dinner. I wouldn't, per se, recommend any of them. An urban DRC breakfast appears to consist of a small bottle of coke. If breakfast in Russia and Ukraine has been invented, my family hasn't heard of it, and I had dosa a lot in India, which is great, but this was as a streetfood - I don't know how practical it is for quick home preparation.

7 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Migas are super tasty.

Top 3 favorite breakfasts that aren't the standard American:

1) Full English

2) Full Irish

3) Full Scottish

Also, Belizean breakfast is fantastic.

I vaguely remember eating some combination of fish and rice or dumplings or soba for breakfast in Japan when I was traveling there in 2001. 

I like your way of thinking, though you may have upset the Welsh. I'd also go for French-style continental ahead of "standard American" (whatever that is)

Breakfast is the best meal to go and eat at a restaurant.  Non-one should have to get up and prepare a meal at the start of the day.  Head to your nearest breakfast establishment and have someone else prepare your morning foodstuffs. 

Or just eat the leftovers in your home fridge, it's entirely up to you.

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

Some of these look great, thanks!

One question: Maseca/instant masa harina is different from masarepa, right? I keep Maseca on hand, but would have to find masarepa if it's different.

Yes. Masa harina (whether pre-cooked or not) is made from corn that has been nixtamalized. Nixtamalization is what gives tortillas their typical "tortilla" flavor. Masarepa is not nixtamalized and it's pre-cooked. You *could* make arepas with instant masa harina, but the flavor would be off and also the texture, depending on the fineness of the grind. If you have a store that carries a lot of Goya products, they should have masarepa or could get it for you. 

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Okay,

I like cold pizza I always have.  I like baked beans but I have never eaten them for breakfast.  I don't care for "breakfast tacos".

Bacon for the win.

But have you had a slice of pizza with a hole cut in it for a cracked egg grilled up together on a skillet?

Just in case you were afraid your breakfast did not have enough cholesterol... 

7 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

But have you had a slice of pizza with a hole cut in it for a cracked egg grilled up together on a skillet?

I've never done that but my son does like "hothouse eggs".  A slice of bread with a hole cut in the middle then cracked with the yolk going into the hole and fried.

Breakfast tacos are my favorite.  Chorizo and egg, especially.  Bean and cheese, potato and egg.  Every type of breakfast taco is to die for.  I've been dying for some barbacoa tacos recently but there aren't any hole in the wall taco shops near me.  

22 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

You are entirely correct. 

;)

17 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Migas are super tasty.

Top 3 favorite breakfasts that aren't the standard American:

1) Full English

2) Full Irish

3) Full Scottish

Also, Belizean breakfast is fantastic.

I vaguely remember eating some combination of fish and rice or dumplings or soba for breakfast in Japan when I was traveling there in 2001. 

All are inferior to the Full Tywin et al!

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Breakfast tacos are my favorite.  Chorizo and egg, especially.  Bean and cheese, potato and egg.  Every type of breakfast taco is to die for.  I've been dying for some barbacoa tacos recently but there aren't any hole in the wall taco shops near me.  

Preach!

I managed to cut my thumb just over my nail while cutting breakfast bread today - the second time in a few weeks. The breakfast experience was ruined. That the bread was going a bit old and that the cheese spread was definitely too old did not help either. At least I had some honey in my tea, but that did not help the breakfast to be a good one.

Hopefully tomorrow's can be better. Although now that I think of it I only have cheese breads that I do not want to cover either with jam nor with nutella, so it will probably be boring.

On 30. 11. 2016 at 0:02 AM, Risto said:

This discrimination of food is abhorrent. It seems that SOME food should be eaten ONLY in certain period of time. This is absurd... Like, what have our forefathers fought for, if not to eat whatever we want when we want.

"I have a dream... And if the world is to become great again, we must enjoy the food, damnit" 

TRUE! Everybody keeps telling me that müsli is a breakfast food - I do not want to be judged for eating it for dinner!

6 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

I do something similar and make some scrambled eggs and add cut up leftover pizza about 2/3rds of the way through until hot.  Toast, eggs, cheese, meat, & vegetables in one easy meal.

But alas, lately I've been skipping breakfast as part of my new fasting schedule.

14 minutes ago, Leap said:

I've eaten a breakfast burrito before. It was an airport one, so I won't hold all breakfast burritos guilty for it being an atrocity. However, I am still uncomfortable with the idea. Best avoided. 

They're quite good if you make it at home, and outside of the tortilla, they're very healthy.

What is the deal with any food made from flour, even something as insubstantial as a tortilla, being labeled 'unhealthy'.  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

They're quite good if you make it at home, and outside of the tortilla, they're very healthy.

I know you didn't specifically say this but the War on Grains is kind of starting to chafe.  It's a tortilla, not a donut.  

On 11/29/2016 at 6:02 PM, Risto said:

This discrimination of food is abhorrent. It seems that SOME food should be eaten ONLY in certain period of time. This is absurd... Like, what have our forefathers fought for, if not to eat whatever we want when we want.

"I have a dream... And if the world is to become great again, we must enjoy the food, damnit" 

This is why diners are the best. "Breakfast served anytime" is a standard policy.

New Jersey diners are generally among the upper ranks of diners, as not only is breakfast available at any time, it always includes pork roll in the meat options. And south Jersey / southeastern PA diners are probably the best, as both pork roll AND scrapple are readily available.

2 hours ago, shortstark said:

Ackee and Saltfish with fried dumplings, taste of jamaica.. traditonal breakfast fare, a variation on the national dish. 

http://greedygirlcooks.blogspot.com/2014/05/ackee-and-saltfish-with-fried-dumplings.html

YES! 

Archived