Babylon's Ashes: The Expanse Book 6 (Spoilers)

Rhom

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

So, almost finished Abbbadon's Gate and I'm really enjoying this series.

Question. I noticed in the TV series thread as everyone referring to the Monsters as Caliban's. I got the reference, but in the book I don't recall them being referred to as Caliban's. Did I just miss that reference or was it made clear by some other means?

I just finished a reread of Caliban's War and I don't believe they ever referred to them as Caliban's. Mostly referred to a proto-molecule soldiers, methinks. 

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I just finished a reread of Caliban's War and I don't believe they ever referred to them as Caliban's. Mostly referred to a proto-molecule soldiers, methinks. 

Yea, I never seen them referred to as Caliban's. Thinking maybe the author(s) made it clear or that's just the name fans gave them...

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this on the Expanse Wikipedia entry:

In addition, Andy Weir's novel The Martian takes place in the same continuity as The Expanse.[9] This link is made semi-canon with the mention of a ship named the Mark Watney, based "out of Mars," in Babylon's Ashes.

Is Andy Weir on board with this?

The citation for the claim goes to the Cory twitter account where he -- "he" presumably being Ty Franck, since Abraham has his own twitter handle -- says he and Weir did a signing together and "agreed our books are in the same continuity," so it sounds like the answer is yes so far as that goes. That said, while I could well be surmising wrongly, this sounds to me like a fun little spur of the moment thing rather than something that's thought through and planned out and will have consequences; I suspect the conversation amounted to something like:

"Hey, how about our books are in the same continuity? There is nothing in either that specifically prevents it from working and it will never matter."

"Sure dude."

"Excellent!"

The beauty of it is that fans who want the two stories to share a continuity can have it that way, while any who don't can easily read the ship name in The Expanse as an easter egg or simply evidence that the series takes place in a universe in which The Martian exists as a book -- there are numerous other references to sf works in ship names etc as I recall.

On 18/04/2017 at 1:35 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The books seem to allude to classical, biblical, or mythical tropes (Caliban, Abaddon, Leviathan, Cibola, Nemesis) that the in-universe characters are not aware of. I quite like that and get the references (because I know my Shakespeare, history, etc.).

I assume the TV show needs some way to dumb this down, so that viewers (who are assumed to be stupid) know why these strange names appear in the titles.

I have a stupid question.  When Inaros was lobbing rocks at Earth why didn't he take a swing at Luna too?  They wouldn't have been as effective, smaller gravity well to fall down and no atmosphere to depend upon and screw up, but it would have damaged the infrastructure of Earth's primary fall back point.  As he obviously had rocks in reserve why didn't he take a swing at Luna too while he was beating the shit out of Earth?

On 28/04/2017 at 9:28 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I have a stupid question.  When Inaros was lobbing rocks at Earth why didn't he take a swing at Luna too?  They wouldn't have been as effective, smaller gravity well to fall down and no atmosphere to depend upon and screw up, but it would have damaged the infrastructure of Earth's primary fall back point.  As he obviously had rocks in reserve why didn't he take a swing at Luna too while he was beating the shit out of Earth?

Most of the time Marco doesn't really seem to be thinking particularly strategically, and he probably likes the symbolism of the rocks hitting Earth.

9 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Most of the time Marco doesn't really seem to be thinking particularly strategically, and he probably likes the symbolism of the rocks hitting Earth.

He also didn't see how he screwed the belt sideways by destroying the Solar System's largest source of food and manufactured goods.

9 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

No, I'm pretty sure he knew what would happen. He just thought that they were acceptable casualties in order to make it to the end-game.

In BA he seems to not really understand that he has put the Belt on a course for starvation as Inaros kept dismissing the warning from his own Economics adviser that Inaros had hugely screwed the pooch food and manufactured materials wise.

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, Corvinus said:

Cibola is one of the seven golden cities of myth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Cities_of_Gold_(myth), thus it probably refers to the planet where once again there is amazing dead tech

"Cibola! Bumpty bump bump!"   Trashcan man from The Stand by Steven King.  

On 30/04/2017 at 4:55 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

No, I'm pretty sure he knew what would happen. He just thought that they were acceptable casualties in order to make it to the end-game.

I recall a passage about him saying wars are won by giving 100% in the present and not holding back for the future eg no point in having a sound and stable economy/food supply if the enemy goes all out and beats you. Which is still insane but has a certain strategic value in simply winning if that's all you want to achieve.

Marco was just a bloodthirsty terrorist. The real Belter ideologists were people like Fred and Anderson, who had a strategic gameplan for how to get what they wanted for the Belt. Marco just hated Earthers and wanted to kill them.

21 minutes ago, sperry said:

Marco was just a bloodthirsty terrorist. The real Belter ideologists were people like Fred and Anderson, who had a strategic gameplan for how to get what they wanted for the Belt. Marco just hated Earthers and wanted to kill them.

I don't even think Marco hated earthers. I think Marco loved Marco. If Earthers would have given him awesome things, he would have been against them in a heartbeat. They were a useful goad.

He hated Naomi far more than he hated Earth. 

Archived