Lord Friendzone

Speculations, news, theories for season 7. (includes leaks )

2,777 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

D & D might be trolling the fans of the Show.  The final episode could see a triumphant Cersei having Jon, Dany, and Sansa executed.

well at least people's reactions to something like that would be entertaining lol

1 minute ago, Tifani said:

well at least people's reactions to something like that would be entertaining lol

Actually, I'd be tempted to do that if I were D & D.

Just as if I were JK Rowling, I'd have finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows with Hermione revealing herself to be a Death Eater, and murdering Harry and Ron.

3 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Actually, I'd be tempted to do that if I were D & D.

Just as if I were JK Rowling, I'd have finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows with Hermione revealing herself to be a Death Eater, and murdering Harry and Ron.

i would love a shocking twist that would set the whole fandom on edge. for better or for worse though, i think the ending to GOT will be pretty standard and predictable. the only main characters that i see dying now are cersei and jaime. 

39 minutes ago, Tifani said:

i would love a shocking twist that would set the whole fandom on edge. for better or for worse though, i think the ending to GOT will be pretty standard and predictable. the only main characters that i see dying now are cersei and jaime. 

I agree. I think we'll be shocked in the end at just how predictable the ending turned out to be.

28 minutes ago, Newstar said:

I agree. I think we'll be shocked in the end at just how predictable death  the ending turned out to be.

I thought GRRM might pull the rug underneath us by a shocking jon/dany death but now i dont even think that anymore lol.

but really if jon,dany,arya,sansa,bran,tyrion ALL survive. then what is bitter is about this ending lol? its just sweet imo, rather than bittersweet. i guess its possible that both drogon and rhaegal both die in season 8 and evil wight viserion would obviously have to be killed. so i guess dany losing ALL her dragons could be the "bitter" part. and just the general trauma that all these characters are going to be left with. but i really was thinking that we would at least ONE big main hero death. guess not tho lol. i really don't see it happening anymore since cersei has to be killed off in season 8 too. 

omg can you just imagine how SURREAL it's going to be to read those first badly written 4chan/reddit leaks about cersei's death? god i cant wait

Edited by Tifani

34 minutes ago, Tifani said:

I thought GRRM might pull the rug underneath us by a shocking jon/dany death but now i dont even think that anymore lol.

but really if jon,dany,arya,sansa,bran,tyrion ALL survive. then what is bitter is about this ending lol? its just sweet imo, rather than bittersweet. i guess its possible that both drogon and rhaegal both die in season 8 and evil wight viserion would obviously have to be killed. so i guess dany losing ALL her dragons could be the "bitter" part. and just the general trauma that all these characters are going to be left with. but i really was thinking that we would at least ONE big main hero death. guess not tho lol. i really don't see it happening anymore since cersei has to be killed off in season 8 too. 

GRRM has always said that he was thinking of the ending of LOTR when he meant "bittersweet." In LOTR, a lot of terrible things happened, and a number of the characters were traumatized, but all the non-villains survived. The bittersweet part is not about necessarily dying or living, I think, it's about the psychological burden of everything the characters have gone through and the difficulties of rebuilding. 

There's this quote from GRRM:

“I love the way he ended ‘Lord of the Rings.’ It ends with victory, but it’s a bittersweet victory. Frodo is never whole again, and he goes away to the Undying Lands, and the other people live their lives … All I can say is that’s the kind of tone I will be aiming for. Whether I achieve it or not, that will be up to people like … my readers to judge.”

It's about characters picking up the pieces, dealing with their trauma, and getting on with their lives, not about heartbreaking deaths.

Also, while Jon, Dany, Sansa, Tyrion, etc. may survive, a number of their friends and other loved ones who make up the secondary cast may not. Jaime will likely die, and that will devastate Tyrion. Dany will likely lose Jorah and her dragons. Those losses, along with the losses that the top characters have already suffered over the course of the first six seasons (Ned, Ygritte, Drogo, Catelyn, Robb, etc.), provide plenty of bitter to offset the sweetness of the top characters surviving.

omg can you just imagine how SURREAL it's going to be to read those first badly written 4chan/reddit leaks about cersei's death? god i cant wait

Me, neither. It's going to be crazy.

5 minutes ago, Newstar said:

GRRM has always said that he was thinking of the ending of LOTR when he meant "bittersweet." In LOTR, a lot of terrible things happened, and a number of the characters were traumatized, but all the non-villains survived. The bittersweet part is not about necessarily dying or living, I think, it's about the psychological burden of everything the characters have gone through and the difficulties of rebuilding. 

There's this quote from GRRM:

It's about characters picking up the pieces, dealing with their trauma, and getting on with their lives, not about heartbreaking deaths.

Also, while Jon, Dany, Sansa, Tyrion, etc. may survive, a number of their friends and other loved ones who make up the secondary cast may not. Jaime will likely die, and that will devastate Tyrion. Dany will likely lose Jorah and her dragons. Those losses, along with the losses that the top characters have already suffered over the course of the first six seasons (Ned, Ygritte, Drogo, Catelyn, Robb, etc.), provide plenty of bitter to offset the sweetness of the top characters surviving.

Me, neither. It's going to be crazy.

yeah that makes sense. i guess i can live with this as long as its executed fairly well and isn't cheesy. lets get our fingers crossed that D&D manage to get some decent scripts written for season 8. 

honestly i think we can expect a harry potter type ending except with just a little more focus on how much these characters have lost and a little less of "one big happy weasley family"  and jon/dany naming their child "rhaegar barristan" type shit lol.

and yeah cersei will definitely be the biggest death of season 8. i think we can at least expect D&D to put of effort into writing that scene. they probably want Lena to win an Emmy more than her wanting it herself lol. fingers crossed they get sapochnik for season 8 and he directs it.  

5 minutes ago, Tifani said:

honestly i think we can expect a harry potter type ending except with just a little more focus on how much these characters have lost and a little less of "one big happy weasley family"  and jon/dany naming their child "rhaegar barristan" type shit lol.

Dany totally would name her kid Rhaegar. Jon on the other hand may have mixed feelings about his dad.

I don't think it will be one big happy family. I fully expect the Starks to split up: Jon will head south with Dany and Tyrion to rebuild Westeros, Bran will remain at Winterfell as lord, Arya will go west of Westeros, and Sansa will do...something else, I guess, unless she gets Winterfell and Bran falls into another category.

I think a lot of fans will be disappointed unless they know the ultimate mates (if any) of all the surviving lead characters and the number and names of whatever kids they have, LOL. I doubt GRRM and D&D will indulge them, though.

and yeah cersei will definitely be the biggest death of season 8. i think we can at least expect D&D to put of effort into writing that scene. they probably want Lena to win an Emmy more than her wanting it herself lol.

I think Lena missed her Emmy shot when it was revealed that she used a body double for the walk of shame.

fingers crossed they get sapochnik for season 8 and he directs it.  

Ideally, he'd direct the whole thing, but of course with their filming schedule they have at least two units shooting concurrently in different locations (often different countries).

Sapochnik is a marvel, though. His absence will be felt in Season 7.

On 2017-5-16 at 5:13 PM, Bear Claw said:

I liked Cine leaks. He got a date wrong, but I do that all the time as well. It made sense to me that Dany at least had a foot in KL via the Dragon Pit. Also, I liked the explanations of how she goofed up the invasion by making bad decisions.  I also liked his ending of Dany not believing Crazy Cersei's promise and sending Drogon to light up the Red Keep. There was also that intriguing bit  in WF where it is suggested that someone (maybe Sansa) dies. I like Sansa, but it makes sense that something big should happen in WF this season.

Possibly a death and resurection. Like we have seen a time or two. 

It would also explain a possible flash forward of brans and why he would see an old Sansa. 

I.e. telling the audience and bran (like GoT did with jons mothers identity) that what you see isnt final.

They will then tie it in later possibly.

I liked cine as well. 

Edited by Lady Ren

Reading the leak:

"Dragons have come again motherfucker."

-Tyrion

..................hmmmm.........sounds like one of his lines......smh.

45 minutes ago, Lady Ren said:

Possibly a death and resurection. Like we have seen a time or two. 

It would also explain a possible flash forward of brans and why he would see an old Sansa. 

I.e. telling the audience and bran (like GoT did with jons mothers identity) that what you see isnt final.

They will then tie it in later possibly.

I liked cine as well. 

Yes, according to leaks, Beric survives the wight hunt. Since there is no LSH, I think he is taking her place. She might use the last kiss in the books to resurrect one of her children. I think Cine made a lot of sense. Most of the drawings were pretty good. The one with Sam looked rough, but otherwise I think everything kind of fit together. It made sense. He also just presented what he knew. He didn't try to interpret  or press his opinions. He just presented what he had. 

On 5/16/2017 at 7:57 PM, DutchArya said:

An observation to consider about D&D playing down Jon & Arya's show-connection:

Do you think that is D&D's thinking.... that maybe creating some distance before bringing them together will be less jarring for tv only audiences?

Could be. They have said before that they had troubles with disassociating the kid actors from their more mature counterparts in the series. Though they had no problem with Sansa's rape and they've said they'd planned this as early as season 2.

I'll be honest, if they're really keeping them apart on purpose, I think it's solely because the show relies on shock effects. Jon and Arya being into each other would come out of left field for show-onlys. It would certainly be talked about.

D&D don't do the setting things up bit anymore, they rely on shock value. If Jon&Dany were endgame, they'd get with each other some time during the final two or three episodes.

George has more story and book pages to flesh out their relationship but D&D just need a handful of episodes to create a situation (for shock value) near the end that would see this endgame book pairing happen in S8.

I won't lie, I'd be so mad if it came out they were keeping them apart on purpose, but the number one rule when it comes to writing romantic dynamics is building anticipation. 

The audience has been anticipating Jon and Arya's reunion since they said goodbye. They're certainly not anticipating anything romantic developing though. But Jon and Arya being endgame isn't impossible. There's a reason why Martin is so attentive in writing their relationship in the books. To pick one example, there's a reason why, out of all the people Jon said goodbye to in GOT (book and show), Arya's is the one that's given more time, detail, and heart. It's not just a relationship that's important to the characters but to the show and the story itself. Otherwise what's the point in showing it?

I think show-watchers and book-advocates alike would be shocked by something like that. Shocked and outraged, even though the "receipts" have been sitting right under their noses the entire time. I'm not ashamed to admit that I would love to see that! And I agree. Jon and Dany having boat sex in the penultimate season proves to me that they're doomed. D&D are leaving an entire season open for shit to go wrong with them. 

6 hours ago, tinka10 said:

I think show-watchers and book-advocates alike would be shocked by something like that. Shocked and outraged, even though the "receipts" have been sitting right under their noses the entire time. I'm not ashamed to admit that I would love to see that! And I agree. Jon and Dany having boat sex in the penultimate season proves to me that they're doomed. D&D are leaving an entire season open for shit to go wrong with them

I agree with that, if they were a happy endgame boatsex would happen in s8. They relationship is doomed, and if the leaks are correct, the Wall falls while they are together having sex in a  montage.  Not the best choice if they are endgame.

No, as much as I'm looking forward to hot boatsex, I don't think they're endgame either.  Dany will die in/after childbirth and Jon will take the baby home to Winterfell to raise, history repeating and all that. But I really hope Jon and Arya aren't endgame.

55 minutes ago, maudisdottir said:

No, as much as I'm looking forward to hot boatsex, I don't think they're endgame either.  Dany will die in/after childbirth and Jon will take the baby home to Winterfell to raise, history repeating and all that. But I really hope Jon and Arya aren't endgame.

I think boat sex is happening in season 7 only for the reason of child birth in season 8.  I don't think they are doomed, but-GRRM is always up for crushing something that seems like a potential happy ending. Maybe I'm just too ol fashioned, but Arya and Jon would be disturbing to me.....it is rather GOT though. 

15 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

GRRM planned on sparing Dany in the outline along with the other members of the main five, and he has always said he has always intended to stick to the same ending, so I wouldn't be so sure about Dany dying.

14 hours ago, A man has no name said:

I think boat sex is happening in season 7 only for the reason of child birth in season 8.  I don't think they are doomed, but-GRRM is always up for crushing something that seems like a potential happy ending.

GRRM said he will be going for the tone of LOTR with the ending of ASOIAF when he meant a "bittersweet" ending, and LOTR's ending included a marriage between Aragorn and Arwen.

Edited by Newstar

What if dany actually does get the thrown? 

Im starting to think she might. At the cost of her dragons and most of her people, but i think its possible. 

Dany dying in childbirth is not fitting. Thats usually something that happens so other things can happen, not as a conclusion to a major character arc. I dont particularly like her, but her dying while giving birth to his baby is pointless.

Jon and Dany's child being the "union of ice and fire" or the "peacemaker" etc is repetitive. Jon is already those things  

Nor am I a fan of her being his nissa. Jon is more likely to tell the lord of light to fuck off than kill someone for him. Especially after shireen. 

I dont know a lot about fAegon, but what if in the show Jon takes some of his stuff? 

Edited by Lady Ren

2 hours ago, Lady Ren said:

What if dany actually does get the thrown? 

Im starting to think she might. At the cost of her dragons and most of her people, but i think its possible. 

Dany dying in childbirth is not fitting. Thats usually something that happens so other things can happen, not as a conclusion to a major character arc. I dont particularly like her, but her dying while giving birth to his baby is pointless.Jon and Dany's child being the "union of ice and fire" or the "peacemaker" etc is repetitive.

Jon and Dany marrying and having a child would put an end to the squabbling over the throne once and for all by uniting in marriage the only potential rivals for the throne with any sort of claim (assuming the news about Jon being the legitimate heir gets out, which I assume it will).

A Jon/Dany marriage would also mirror the ending of the historical War of the Roses which inspired GRRM, with Dany as the Henry Tudor (conqueror who raised armies while in exile abroad, touted as a mythical hero to boost popularity) and Jon as the Elizabeth of York (person with a legitimate claim to the throne married to solidify the ruler's claim), although in ASOIAF their union may have a more romantic gloss if the Season 7 leaks are any indication.

And yeah, GRRM isn't duty-bound to reproduce the ending of the War of the Roses, but he did do something similar in using another historical conflict for the Dance of the Dragons, which seems to have been based on the Anarchy (a civil war between Matilda and Stephen) and had a similar outcome (female claimant losing the throne to her rival but winning in the long run when her son inherited the monarchy), minus the dragons of course. I believe GRRM once intended ASOIAF to be more of a straight retelling of the War of the Roses, which would further bolster the idea that there will be a Henry Tudor/Elizabeth of York-type ending.

Neither Arya nor Sansa work as Elizabeth of York figures--even though Sansa at least bears some resemblances to the historical Elizabeth of York (reddish hair, gentle temperament, etc.), something which can't be said for Arya--because they don't have a claim to the Iron Throne.

Edited by Newstar

Jon and Dany don't really parallel the War of the Roses as Dany has a very strong claim to the throne, unlike Henry Tudor.  

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Jon and Dany don't really parallel the War of the Roses as Dany has a very strong claim to the throne, unlike Henry Tudor.  

That ignores a lot of the other parallels, which are covered here and elsewhere at great length.

If Dany is the Henry Tudor figure, then she's certainly not dying. On the contrary: she's going to win.

Edited by Newstar