If that dragonhorn should work...

Quellon

Somehow, if Victarion manages to bind the dragons to his will, then what? I imagine Daenerys is fucked, to put it bluntly. But I think that horn works on dragons who haven't been tamed or claimed...I just can't imagine a dragon who shares a bond with his rider would abandon his "mistress". But Viserion and Rhaegal, they haven't really been claimed or tamed...it might work on them. Oo, I sure wouldn't like to see that, brothers turning on their big brother.

I'm less worried about Victarion than I am about Euron - I believe we may take it as read that Euron has bound the horn to *himself*, and that whatever Victarion might do to try and re-bind it to himself, he has no clue how to do so. He may even think that whichever dragon is bound by the horn serves him - until it suits Euron's purposes to demonstrate who is the dragon's true master, upon Victarion's return home...

3 minutes ago, JLE said:

I'm less worried about Victarion than I am about Euron - I believe we may take it as read that Euron has bound the horn to *himself*, and that whatever Victarion might do to try and re-bind it to himself, he has no clue how to do so. He may even think that whichever dragon is bound by the horn serves him - until it suits Euron's purposes to demonstrate who is the dragon's true master, upon Victarion's return home...

Of course, that's what I meant: if Victarion manages to bind them for/thru Euron. Every fool knows Vic is not gonna come out of it as the real winner. However, I do believe Euron has instructed him how to bind the dragons to his will. Because, he couldn't just let them burn Vic...how would he get them to Iron Islands then? Telepathy? Lol, I doubt Euron is that powerful...

19 minutes ago, Quellon said:

Every fool knows Vic is not gonna come out of it as the real winner.

Probably not THE winner...but I could totally see him being the end of Euron. 

I don't know if Dany would necessarily be screwed, If he had at least one dragon he could force a marriage probably, which is what he wanted anyways. 

And I do think a lot of Euron's "powers" are overblown.

3 hours ago, Lord Vance II said:

Probably not THE winner...but I could totally see him being the end of Euron. 

I don't know if Dany would necessarily be screwed, If he had at least one dragon he could force a marriage probably, which is what he wanted anyways. 

And I do think a lot of Euron's "powers" are overblown.

Well, I hope so...out of all my sons, he is most like me. ;) He's a good boy. And the most normal of his brothers, obviously. Euron MUST be stopped.

Isn't Euron wearing armor with runes in the WoW advance chapter?  I think I read that somewhere. If so, runes are closely linked to magic in ASoIaF. The First Men were a magical race of humans, after all. Euron is consulting ancient magic in Dance already, and I think the ancient of human magic -learned from the children, of course- in Westeros is coded into runes (GRRM left rune-reading deliberately ambiguos) so anyone who can tap into that source will gain a huge advantage. Specially over dragons - protovalyrians appear to have shunned the continent at some point in history for some reason.

My point is I agree, somehow, with the notion of Victarion binding the dragons to Euron, and getting out of the picture by betrayal. The horn might break, burn and nothing'll happened in the spot, but those dragons might be instantly binded to Euron and will betray Dany at first sight of him. 

Errr... That's my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Isn't Euron wearing armor with runes in the WoW advance chapter?  I think I read that somewhere. If so, runes are closely linked to magic in ASoIaF. The First Men were a magical race of humans, after all. Euron is consulting ancient magic in Dance already, and I think the ancient of human magic -learned from the children, of course- in Westeros is coded into runes (GRRM left rune-reading deliberately ambiguos) so anyone who can tap into that source will gain a huge advantage. Specially over dragons - protovalyrians appear to have shunned the continent at some point in history for some reason.

My point is I agree, somehow, with the notion of Victarion binding the dragons to Euron, and getting out of the picture by betrayal. The horn might break, burn and nothing'll happened in the spot, but those dragons might be instantly binded to Euron and will betray Dany at first sight of him. 

Errr... That's my 2 cents.

Spoiler

It's Valyrian steal armor with valyrian writing which has been called glyphs, runes are what the FM writing has been called.

5 hours ago, Quellon said:

Somehow, if Victarion manages to bind the dragons to his will, then what? I imagine Daenerys is fucked, to put it bluntly. But I think that horn works on dragons who haven't been tamed or claimed...I just can't imagine a dragon who shares a bond with his rider would abandon his "mistress". But Viserion and Rhaegal, they haven't really been claimed or tamed...it might work on them. Oo, I sure wouldn't like to see that, brothers turning on their big brother.

Spoiler

It's likely that the horn will only affect 1 dragon as only 1 dragon is flying above the battle when Victarion arrives. 

I am convinced that the whole function of the horn has not been revealed yet. Maybe Euron and Moqorro know it. Not all glyphes on the horn have been translated. There are steel and gold bands with glyphs inscribed. The glyphs of two gold bands have been translated by Moqorro, at least one line has not been translated yet.

On 3.12.2016 at 1:41 PM, Greywater-Watch said:

I am convinced that the whole function of the horn has not been revealed yet. Maybe Euron and Moqorro know it. Not all glyphes on the horn have been translated. There are steel and gold bands with glyphs inscribed. The glyphs of two gold bands have been translated by Moqorro, at least one line has not been translated yet.

Of course it hasn't. ;) I just am wondering what IF that horn isn't poisoned in the true sense of the word, but will only work against Victarion. It will surely work, I mean, WHY would Euron give Victarion a horn that can't be used for such an important mission that he entrusted him?? Lol...just sounds like something a complete madman would do.

Something is off with Moqorro. Something doesn’t sit right with me. He has been telling Vic truths that are revealed in his fires, but when Moq tells Vic “Every night in my fires I glimpse the glory that awaits you,” it gave me the heebie jeebies. I don’t think Moq is being completely honest with Vic.

Besides that Vic describes his healed hand as hideous to look at, pork crackling from elbow to fingertips and that occasionally the skin would split and smoke. Kinda eerie, like a not so good omen.

This horn Euron claims to have found among the smoking ruins of Valyria seems like a deception. He seems to me to be strung out on that shade of the evening stuff which feeds his egomania that is filled with delusions of grandeur.

This horn, dragonbinder, as Moq named it from reading the glyphs is described by Euron as a dragon horn, bound with bands of red gold and Valyrian steel graven with enchantments.

Vic describes it as, “A twisted thing it was, six feet long from end to end, gleaming black and banded with red gold and dark Valyrian steel.”

Not much difference between the two accounts.

It has been a long time since I read Princess & the Queen. I don’t seem to remember mention of any horn being used to bring a dragon to heel. I forget stuff though so please remind me.

Vic and Moq talk about when the horn was blown, "The sound it made … it burned, somehow. As if my bones were on fire, searing my flesh from within. Those writings glowed red-hot, then white-hot and painful to look upon. It seemed as if the sound would never end. It was like some long scream. A thousand screams, all melted into one."

Euron’s horn blower died. After the horn blower died he was cut open and it was found that his lungs were charred black as soot.

Vic and Moq take a look at the horn, “Moqorro turned the hellhorn, examining the queer letters that crawled across a second of the golden bands. "Here it says, 'No mortal man shall sound me and live."

Moqorro says, "Your brother did not sound the horn himself. Nor must you." Moqorro pointed to the band of steel. "Here. 'Blood for fire, fire for blood.' Who blows the hellhorn matters not. The dragons will come to the horn's master. You must claim the horn. With blood."

I’m of the opinion that this horn that Euron gave Vic and that Moq names dragonbinder is not going to affect Dany’s dragons other than piss them off. Because of the sound,  “It was a terrible sound, a wail of pain and fury that seemed to burn the ears.”

Moq points to one golden band – “I am dragonbinder.” He reads some more – Scrawled across the second band “No mortal man shall sound me and live.” He reads some more and points to the steel band -- 'Blood for fire, fire for blood.

<scratches head>

Archived