Roose on the Loose

Roose on the Loose

Winterfell had been crawling with squatters when Bolton's van had reached the castle. More than two dozen had been driven at spearpoint from the nests they had made among the castle's half-ruined keeps and towers. The boldest and most truculent had been hanged, the rest put to work. Serve well Lord Bolton told them, and he would be merciful. Stone and timber were plentiful with the Wolfswood so close at hand. Stout new gates had gone up first, to replace those that had been burned. Then the collapsed roof of the Great Hall had been cleared away and a new one raised hurriedly in it's stead. When the work wasd done, Lord Bolton hanged the workers. True to his word, he showed them mercy, and did not flay a one.

ADWD 37 The Prince of Winterfell

There was another ruler who killed a bunch of builders. His name was Maegor the Cruel. He had a specific reason to do so. The builders knew where all the secret passages were in the Red Keep. It's the same With Roose.

Eventually, the Starks will reclaim Winterfell. It would be really weird if they didn't. But they won't get their hands on Lord Leach, because he has an escape tunnel.

Interesting idea. Maybe Roose will use that secret passage Bran talks about in GoT:

“The builders had not even leveled the earth; there were hills and valleys behind the walls of Winterfell. There was a covered bridge that went from the fourth floor of the bell tower across to the second floor of the rookery. Bran knew about that. And he knew you could get inside the inner wall by the south gate, climb three floors and run all the way around Winterfell through a narrow tunnel in the stone, and then come out on ground level at the north gate, with a hundred feet of wall looming over you. Even Maester Luwin didn't know that, Bran was convinced.”

Somebody needs to use that secret passage.

8 minutes ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Awesome. I also had the vague idea of Roose escaping in the midst of his armies being routed in the Battle of Ice. I mean, the guy is so hated and liked alike, him escaping through a tunnel to never be seen again would be an awesome trollish GRRM move. 

Ya know what? That might not be such a bad idea. This would give time for the Battle of Ice to pay out, which most likely Jon will not be a part of at all, and give time for Ramsay to die... and then if Roose had escaped in the meantime, he could be hunted and found later and dealt with by (a now healed) Jon directly as history has shown the Starks and Boltons are want to do.

41 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ya know what? That might not be such a bad idea. This would give time for the Battle of Ice to pay out, which most likely Jon will not be a part of at all, and give time for Ramsay to die... and then if Roose had escaped in the meantime, he could be hunted and found later and dealt with by (a now healed) Jon directly as history has shown the Starks and Boltons are want to do.

I love this...... he is such a slippery/self-preserving character, it would fit perfectly.  Who gets to kill Ramsay though?

Great OP @Roose on the Loose

This idea has been brought up before, but as pointed out at that time they only rebuilt with wood, the stones of the castle were not destroyed in the fire.  If there is already an escape passage that's one thing, but Roose surely didn't build one.

As to Brans passage, that passage is not an escape tunnel, it just brings you from one side to the other.

Just now, Wolf of the Steppes said:

I love this...... he is such a slippery/self-preserving character, it would fit perfectly.  Who gets to kill Ramsay though?

Great OP @Roose on the Loose

As much as Ramsay is a pain in the ass now, he seems to be the "monster" in Theon's storyline specifically. I think hope to all hells that Theon gets Ramsay. Considering where Theon is in TWOW, in my *onion, this makes it very plausible.

Each character seems to have their own monster to slay:

Sansa = Littlefinger

Arya = LSH

Jaime = Cersei? one of the two brothers. Also, maybe some Bloody Mummers.

Tyrion = Cersei? one of the two brothers

Theon = Ramsay

Bran = Bloodraven??? High speculation with this one. And I will :crying::crying::crying: if this happens.

Jon = First, some queen's men, then maybe Marsh and stabbers (if they are still alive), and then Roose Bolton, because that is what Starks do to usurping Boltons!:devil:

*typo and it stays!

1 hour ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

I could see Roose getting away for sure. Hes smart and he has a rare knack for knowing when to quit and take your losses.

To the bolded, he really isn't that smart. Him and Ramsey have made enemies out of every Northern house. He has Ramsey legitimized ultimately being of no use to his psychotic bastard son anymore. Then he surrounds himself with enemies and is now sitting in Winterfell surrounded inside and out by people who have the means to explain in the his house. 

Roose is just as chaotic and stupid as Ramsey. He put his whole house in danger for power that he never would have kept because 1. Sansa and Arya was alive and Winterfell and the north would have gone to them and their kids plus Bran and Rickon are also alive and 2. The North was never going to let him get away with what he did(though they don't know he killed Robb they have an idea that he was involved in killing thousands of their Northernmen)

9 hours ago, Roose on the Loose said:

Winterfell had been crawling with squatters when Bolton's van had reached the castle. More than two dozen had been driven at spearpoint from the nests they had made among the castle's half-ruined keeps and towers. The boldest and most truculent had been hanged, the rest put to work. Serve well Lord Bolton told them, and he would be merciful. Stone and timber were plentiful with the Wolfswood so close at hand. Stout new gates had gone up first, to replace those that had been burned. Then the collapsed roof of the Great Hall had been cleared away and a new one raised hurriedly in it's stead. When the work wasd done, Lord Bolton hanged the workers. True to his word, he showed them mercy, and did not flay a one.

ADWD 37 The Prince of Winterfell

There was another ruler who killed a bunch of builders. His name was Maegor the Cruel. He had a specific reason to do so. The builders knew where all the secret passages were in the Red Keep. It's the same With Roose.

Eventually, the Starks will reclaim Winterfell. It would be really weird if they didn't. But they won't get their hands on Lord Leach, because he has an escape tunnel.

there is 1000 other ways for him to die besides the starks. roose is a careful man, his death  wont be something where wf is taken over and he is killed, just cause hehas tunnels does not avoid him from lets say trickery, heavily hinted and the stannis and mance plan inside wf

11 hours ago, Radish Knight said:

The timing would be really bizarre, but I've heard a theory that WF may have some protective properties against the others. For him to escape it only to have left its protection would be nice.

I think castles are important characters in the sense that they reflect the presonalities and priorities of former rulers and builders.  Some argue that WF and SE must have been built by people with better technology than the human characters in the books.

21 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Interesting idea. Maybe Roose will use that secret passage Bran talks about in GoT:

“The builders had not even leveled the earth; there were hills and valleys behind the walls of Winterfell. There was a covered bridge that went from the fourth floor of the bell tower across to the second floor of the rookery. Bran knew about that. And he knew you could get inside the inner wall by the south gate, climb three floors and run all the way around Winterfell through a narrow tunnel in the stone, and then come out on ground level at the north gate, with a hundred feet of wall looming over you. Even Maester Luwin didn't know that, Bran was convinced.”

I wonder if it's the only older secret passage in WF,

19 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

As much as Ramsay is a pain in the ass now, he seems to be the "monster" in Theon's storyline specifically. I think hope to all hells that Theon gets Ramsay. Considering where Theon is in TWOW, in my *onion, this makes it very plausible.

Each character seems to have their own monster to slay:

Sansa = Littlefinger

Arya = LSH

Jaime = Cersei? one of the two brothers. Also, maybe some Bloody Mummers.

Tyrion = Cersei? one of the two brothers

Theon = Ramsay

Bran = Bloodraven??? High speculation with this one. And I will :crying::crying::crying: if this happens.

Jon = First, some queen's men, then maybe Marsh and stabbers (if they are still alive), and then Roose Bolton, because that is what Starks do to usurping Boltons!:devil:

Seizing on this because its interesting, although I don't agree with most of it.  First, I think we must acknowledge that not everyone gets to kill their personal monster, and I don't think GRRM will permit that (see Sansa).  Nonetheless, here's what's been set up:

Sansa = Joffrey.  This didn't happen.  I don't disagree that she'll probably kill Littlefinger, but he's not a monster to her - in fact he saved her life at least twice.  She's just more his tragic flaw than anything.

Arya = Roose.  This makes a lot more sense than killing her own mother - why would she do that?  As it is she's the only living Stark to have ever even had a conversation with the man.  That said, Arya has plenty of people to kill, and I sort of like the idea of Roose escaping the protection of Winterfell only to be destroyed by the Others.

Jaime = Cersei.  All signs point to this.

Tyrion = Tywin.  He did this already.  Just because he's already slain his monster doesn't mean Tywin wasn't his monster to slay.

Theon = Ramsay.  I agree with this.  Doesn't mean it will happen.

Bran/Jon = the freaking Others, man.  the actual monsters!  Sure Jon will kill the mutineers but they aren't his true enemy.  Jaime already paid his karmic price for chaining the winged wolf, straight out of Norse mythology, so I don't know who else Bran has been wronged by that he'd have some overriding need to kill.

1 hour ago, estermonty python said:

Seizing on this because its interesting, although I don't agree with most of it.  First, I think we must acknowledge that not everyone gets to kill their personal monster, and I don't think GRRM will permit that (see Sansa).  Nonetheless, here's what's been set up:

Thanks, and you actually inspired me to start a thread on this topic because it does seem interesting that other posters could have such varying opinions on it :thumbsup:  The new thread is here if you want to join in to discuss more?

I realize I should have used the term "personal demon" instead of monster because I think it is more accurate to what I was had in mind.

Sansa = Joffrey.  This didn't happen.  I don't disagree that she'll probably kill Littlefinger, but he's not a monster to her - in fact he saved her life at least twice.  She's just more his tragic flaw than anything.

You so crazy! LF is totally Sansa's personal monster/demon. Joffery was just a side project in the entire scheme of things. And Sansa was not an active player in his death anyway.

Arya = Roose.  This makes a lot more sense than killing her own mother - why would she do that?  As it is she's the only living Stark to have ever even had a conversation with the man.  That said, Arya has plenty of people to kill, and I sort of like the idea of Roose escaping the protection of Winterfell only to be destroyed by the Others.

Jaime = Cersei.  All signs point to this.

Tyrion = Tywin.  He did this already.  Just because he's already slain his monster doesn't mean Tywin wasn't his monster to slay.

I do agree with the Tyrion/Tywin one. I hesitated to put that in and changed it at the last minute because ??? :dunno:. But does Tyrion have any other personal demons to slay before he plays???

Theon = Ramsay.  I agree with this.  Doesn't mean it will happen.

Here's to hoping it does :cheers:

Bran/Jon = the freaking Others, man.  the actual monsters!  Sure Jon will kill the mutineers but they aren't his true enemy.  Jaime already paid his karmic price for chaining the winged wolf, straight out of Norse mythology, so I don't know who else Bran has been wronged by that he'd have some overriding need to kill.

Well, like you said, the freaking Others are the actual monsters that loom over everyone. They are the real game. Jon has to kill his personal demons first to become The Man as Aemon says. Besides, there is a good chance that Daenerys will join this battle as well, so that takes it out of a personal battle for Jon and Bran.

Thanks for the reply, but I hate derailing other people's threads too much, so I hope to see you in the other thread I linked to up top:)

23 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

There is a possibility that Theon knows of that passage, if he ever followed Bran around... And it just so happens that there is an enemy force about to besiege Winterfell right now, who would love any knowledge of a way in...

And, through the ravens at the heartwood tree, either Bran or Bloodraven is trying to contact Theon... I wonder what else they might be wanting to show him?

2 hours ago, Roose on the Loose said:

I think castles are important characters in the sense that they reflect the presonalities and priorities of former rulers and builders.  Some argue that WF and SE must have been built by people with better technology than the human characters in the books.

Absolutely. This is a story, not the real world. 

Archived