Hamilton Creator to Take Reins On Kingkiller Chronicles

Manhole Eunuchsbane

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

with TV there is a real chance that they'd turn it into something formulaic (e.g. Fox style cop procedural)

I just had a horrific vision of every episode being a tale of how Kvothe managed to earn a large amount of money before somehow contriving to lose it all and end up poor again. That wouldn't necessarily even need to be all that inaccurate as an adaptation.

Oh really? I stopped really paying attention to him on social media, but is it really that bad?

:(

There was some discussion in the Literature forum thread about how Rothfuss is apparently claiming his fans would rather watch him play Fallout than have him write book 3.

Just now, williamjm said:

There was some discussion in the Literature forum thread about how Rothfuss is apparently claiming his fans would rather watch him play Fallout than have him write book 3.

I'll look it up :) I must admit, that's very disappointing to hear. It almost reminds me a bit of that Trump quote about being able to shoot somebody and still not loosing any votes.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

I just had a horrific vision of every episode being a tale of how Kvothe managed to earn a large amount of money before somehow contriving to lose it all and end up poor again. That wouldn't necessarily even need to be all that inaccurate as an adaptation.

I'm glad to have spread my fear :) I could really see some TV executive ordering them to do it like this. Plus some added focus on the sexy times and you have your average run-of-the-mill kind of tv-show. 

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Really? What made him decide that?

I was at the signing for Words of Radiance a couple years ago with @Ded As Ned in Lexington, KY.  ( @MisterOJ had blown us off and didn't show.  Jerk. ;) )

Anyways, Sanderson was talking about his books and the naming of them. Originally Stormlight Archives 2 (which later became WoR) was to be named the Book of Endless Pages.  That would have been named after a book that was handed to a character in Stormlight 1.  He said he had planned to name each book in the series after an in world book.  His editor told him that naming a 700 page novel "The Book of Endless Pages" would be setting it up for a lot of jokes.  :lol:   He then went on and talked about his progress on Stormlight 3.  He said that his original plan was to name it "Stones Unhallowed" and when he told his editor, he was told that because The Doors of Stone was slated to come out the same year it could pull some of the attention from his book.  So they changed the name of that book too.

I really can't see this adapting well, for several reasons.

• It lacks the sort of climax that would make a good film. No, I don't count the Draccus as a climax.
  • Until we get Book Three, this is just asking for the film-makers to come up with their own resolution, which is several canneries of worms.
  • The plot is too damned repetitive to function as a TV series (how will Kvothe pay his tuition next week? Stay tuned...).
  • Rothfuss' strengths are his delightful prose and interesting magic system, neither of which would adapt well to a visual medium.

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

I was at the signing for Words of Radiance a couple years ago with @Ded As Ned in Lexington, KY.  ( @MisterOJ had blown us off and didn't show.  Jerk. ;) )

Anyways, Sanderson was talking about his books and the naming of them. Originally Stormlight Archives 2 (which later became WoR) was to be named the Book of Endless Pages.  That would have been named after a book that was handed to a character in Stormlight 1.  He said he had planned to name each book in the series after an in world book.  His editor told him that naming a 700 page novel "The Book of Endless Pages" would be setting it up for a lot of jokes.  :lol:   He then went on and talked about his progress on Stormlight 3.  He said that his original plan was to name it "Stones Unhallowed" and when he told his editor, he was told that because The Doors of Stone was slated to come out the same year it could pull some of the attention from his book.  So they changed the name of that book too.

Lol, knowing Sanderson, he probably wrote ten books between that decision and now XD

10 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:
  • The plot is too damned repetitive to function as a TV series (how will Kvothe pay his tuition next week? Stay tuned...).

You haven't watched TV in a while now haven't you? :P Just look at the horrific vision @williamjm and I shared about Kvothe's procedural adventures :P 

You are right about all the other things you mentioned though :) 

New update:

Lionsgate has brought on John Rogers, creator of the cult TV hit The Librarians, to write the pilot and serve as executive producer and showrunner of The Kingkiller Chronicle TV series. Rogers will work with author Patrick Rothfuss, franchise creative producer Lin-Manuel Miranda, producer Robert Lawrence, and executive producer Jennifer Court to develop the television arm of Lionsgate’s franchise adaptation of Rothfuss’ fantasy series.

Working with Rogers’ production company Kung Fu Monkey, Lionsgate will create a feature film based on The Name of the WindThe Wise Man’s Fear, and the forthcoming third installment, The Doors of Stone; while the TV series will expand on the world outside of those books. There is also the option for future stage adaptations.

Writer Lindsey Beer (Transformers 5) will write the feature script based on the first book, The Name of the Wind.

Archived