Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rorshach

Chess - the world in black and white

66 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well, quite a bit of chess has been is being played atm.

The third Grand Prix is about to finish, with Harikrishna vs. Jakovenko being the last game going.

It's of some signifcance towards the Grand Prix standings. Depending on whether Pentala manages to grind out a win somehow (I don't see how tbh), he could take some points away from Grischuk by joining him and Nepo as shared seconds. He has some pressure with his extra pawn, but I think Jako should hold.

But the big news is the winner in Geneva is Teimour Radjabov. I am not exactly sure how that happened, a few years ago, it looked his career was rather on a downward trajectory ever since he fathered a child and moved to London. But Radja suddenly even is in contention of qualifying for the candidates. Anyway. Mamedyarov has more or less done his homework. It wasn't a great event for him, but he kept a narrow lead over Grischuk in the Grand Prix standings and it would take some really unfortunate turn of events at Palma to knock him out (Ding Liren and Radja would both need to get over 100 points at Palma to knock out Mamedyarov, or MVL would need to gather 130 points and either Ding Liren or Radja score 100 points+ ). On the other hand, Grischuk's position is way less safe. Either Ding Liren or Radja scoring 100 points there or MVL scoring 130 points would knock him out. So Sascha can really just watch and hope for the best.

Anyway, it's really not the only Super Tournament going on atm.

Meanwhile in China Wei Yi is cruising through a very strong field.

When I say strong field I mean:

Ding Liren, Ivanchuk, (former Fide Champion) Ponomariov, Le Quang Liem, Wang Hao, Yu Yangyi, Naiditsch, Malakhov, Lu Shanglei (the weakest link with 2640), and Wei Yi.

And by cruising I mean Wei Yi is atm sole leader with 5/6. (draws against Ding Liren and Ivanchuk). This tournament is somewhat criminally under reported.

Oh, and Dortmund has started, today. Fedoseev started off with a black win over big Vlad.

Edited by Notone

I think Kasparov's going to do really badly in the St Louis Rapid & Blitz part of the Grand Chess Tour.  (And I guess that's not a controversial opinion.)   Although given the form So and Nakamura seem to be in right now, maybe he'll not do quite as badly as I've have guessed when it was first announced that he'd be taking part...

In hindsight, I wonder if Kasparov regrets resigning at the age he did.  Could he have lasted long enough to win back a re-unified world title, or was his retirement one of the factors that made the reunification effort successful?

I've not had time to follow chess much recently, but it's been nice to see Aronian playing well again over the last few months (he's even back up number two in the live rating list as I write this, I see).  I'd like to see him get one last chance to qualify for a World Championship match -- is that still possible this cycle?

Well, I think Kasparov could do reasonably well in the Blitz event. Afterall it's just Blitz. I am not going to make any predictions on the rapid bit. My guess is, that Kasparov goes into that whole thing rather well prepared, so he can do something for his GOAT legacy brand. If posts a good result, he gets the coverage he wants: Look what Kasparov despite being retired can still do? Will he come back? Could he challenge for the title again? In a classical event he would probably get slaughtered however.

Whether Kasparov resigned too early is open for discussion. I think he hit the exit at the right moment for his brand/legacy. He resigned before he could start to slide down on the rating lists. I somewhat doubt, that he would have been able to bring down big Vlad. Just look how level Karpov started to slide down on the rating lists. And Tolya was pretty much Kasparov's equal - granted Karpov is playing a few events, despite being more or less retired, while Kasparov just retired  when he was on top.

Aronian has been somewhat hit or miss this year - at least imho (a bit Ivanchuk light if you will). He played outstanding at the big events, but he kinda sucked at Grand Prix tournaments. But overall it's nice to have Levon back.

Lemon is such a creative and flamboyant player, you gotta love him when he's on. Still, he has been the clear number two for a couple of Challenger cycles, and he hasn't qualified. I struggle to see him in that role.

Kasparov.. well, the commentary team on Chess24 thinks he'll do well,  and I think they're dead wrong. So seems to be out of sync, but Nakamura is a different beast in blitz and rapid. I don't think this tournament will influence the upcoming event. 

Checked the coverage of the last round of Sinquefield, well actually checking.

A few takeaway. I feel bad for Peter for not being able to figure out all the lines after 18.Nf4!! and thus being forced to dismiss it. Fortunately his position is still promising.

Magnus is back, as he is atm beating Levon quite convincingly. Though he doesn't look to be at his peak form. I think in his peak form he would have grabbed that puny pawn on a6 (though the passer on a5 looks tempting) straight away, instead he would have shuffled his Knights around. The a6 would have fallen sooner or later anyway.

Oh and it looks like MVL will win the tournament outright, as Nepo continues to be not performing too well at those elite events.

And I kinda like Maurice Ashley's color commentary.

And I almost forgot, I still dislike Wesley So.