U.S. Politics 2016: The Mayans Were Only Off By 1418 Days

Mr. Chatywin et al.

40 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I'm sure that's part of it amongst his advisers, but I assume that it might be more to do with the Trump personality portrayed in the Slate article from last week, where it was noted that he craves approval above all else. People who mock him must be punished and people who praise him must be themselves lauded and rewarded. Carson never attacked Trump in the primary and backed him early.

That would explain offering Carson a post in the first place, but to pursue him after he turned that job down is... uncharacteristic for Trump, surely?

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The common belief is that he's willing to serve as Trump's SoS to try and mitigate the damage that could be done, and I actually respect him for doing so. That said, Mitt won't be the SoS. 

That was meant to be tongue in cheek. I'd actually respect him too for doing the job (and indeed, while I disagree with him on economic policy a lot, he seems really calm and collected compared to so many other Republicans). I just don't think he'd succeed at all. Trump won't be kept from scrwing up foreign relations by anybody

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The common belief is that he's willing to serve as Trump's SoS to try and mitigate the damage that could be done, and I actually respect him for doing so. That said, Mitt won't be the SoS. 

I was kind of hoping he told Trump to go f--- himself.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Sorry, can't link but just read that Al Gore had a meeting with Trump. I imagine the atrumpsters will be super pissed about this seeing as it's their mission to destroy the environment as much as possible.

6 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The news stories I saw that it was with Ivanka.

Gore met with both but spent the bulk of time with trump according to Vox http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2016/12/5/13843482/ivanka-trump-al-gore-wtf

26 minutes ago, mormont said:

That would explain offering Carson a post in the first place, but to pursue him after he turned that job down is... uncharacteristic for Trump, surely?

He told Trump he wasn't up to the first job, so it wasn't as if he'd spurned Trump's generosity... maybe.

6 minutes ago, Hereward said:

He told Trump he wasn't up to the first job, so it wasn't as if he'd spurned Trump's generosity... maybe.

Also, bottom of the a very short barrel. It's not like there are "binders" full of black Republicans out there.

If all he cares about is making money for himself, then someone should donate stocks to him in renewable energy companies.

Although it may be that he doesnt hew as much to Republican orthodoxy on climate change, and some folks in his inner circle are the same (and Obama may have caught his ear on some of this stuff and asked him to reach out to some climate scientists/Gore)

Looks like Pat Mccrory finally conceded defeat in North Carolina after trying so hard to conjure up voting fraud out of thin air.  Good fucking riddance, scumbag. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/12/05/north-carolina-gov-pat-mccrory-r-concedes-closely-contested-governors-race/?utm_term=.0762605d7e2f

Remember when Republicans ridiculed Obama because he called up the President of Taiwan, a man claiming to have dominion over all of China as its legitimate government?

Oh wait... no, that was Trump. And Republicans said nothing.

Remember when Republicans, the champions of liberty, protested that Obama was limiting access to voting rights and claimed that Romney added millions of fraudulent votes to his tally?

Oh wait... no, that was Trump, who said it of Clinton. And the Republicans said nothing.

Remember when Republicans beat their chest in aghast rage that Obama didn't even show a basic understanding of the U.S. constitution and tried to bluff his way through by saying "Article XII" was a thing?

Oh wait... no, that was Trump. And the Republicans said nothing.

Remember when Obama promised to restore the rights of manufacturing workers only to appoint the most anti-union and anti-labour cabinet in US history?

Oh wait... no, that was Trump. And the Republicans did say something: they rejoiced! For some reason, though, Trump's hard core supporters said nothing.

In fact, Trump's strategy is clear: He will keep disenfranchising the very people who he owes his power to. But they'll remain loyal to him for a very important reason: he is picking a fight, finding an enemy and keeping them feeling "safe." He'll keep lambasting ISIS and China, all the while stripping rights from his own citizens.

3 minutes ago, Yukle said:

In fact, Trump's strategy is clear: He will keep disenfranchising the very people who he owes his power to. But they'll remain loyal to him for a very important reason: he is picking a fight, finding an enemy and keeping them feeling "safe." He'll keep lambasting ISIS and China, all the while stripping rights from his own citizens.

That's kind of his superpower though, isn't it? He doesn't really owe anyone other than the electorate. The GOP can claim him, but they ridiculed him almost as much as the DNC did. 

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's kind of his superpower though, isn't it? He doesn't really owe anyone other than the electorate. The GOP can claim him, but they ridiculed him almost as much as the DNC did. 

Can you imagine him using his veto on principle? Really, he's surrounding himself with Republican insiders and businessmen and billionaires.

He'll wave through whatever they suggest. Any disagreements between them and him will be matters of non-governance, such as continued sexual assault allegations or his inevitable racist comments.

11 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Remember when Republicans ridiculed Obama because he called up the President of Taiwan, a man claiming to have dominion over all of China as its legitimate government?

Oh wait... no, that was Trump. And Republicans said nothing.

The President of Taiwan is in fact not a man, but a woman (Tsai Ing-wen) and she does not claim any dominion over all of China. Also, I'm not sure why you believe Republicans should say anything here -- being tougher with China was one of the things Trump promised during the campaign and he appears to be doing that.

14 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Remember when Obama promised to restore the rights of manufacturing workers only to appoint the most anti-union and anti-labour cabinet in US history?

Oh wait... no, that was Trump. And the Republicans did say something: they rejoiced! For some reason, though, Trump's hard core supporters said nothing.

This is actually an interesting part of this election's dynamics: a substantial number of voters (I haven't checked, but almost certainly more than any before) voted against what their union recommended. Unions are in a strange place right now; they still serve parts of their original purpose, but they've also ossified into a part of the neoliberal system.

4 minutes ago, Altherion said:

This is actually an interesting part of this election's dynamics: a substantial number of voters (I haven't checked, but almost certainly more than any before) voted against what their union recommended. Unions are in a strange place right now; they still serve parts of their original purpose, but they've also ossified into a part of the neoliberal system.

They can be problematic for sure, but as someone who has worked both non-union and union jobs, I can tell you I'll take a bad union over no union every time.

7 minutes ago, Altherion said:

The President of Taiwan is in fact not a man, but a woman (Tsai Ing-wen) and she does not claim any dominion over all of China. 

Actually, officially on the QT Taiwan does exactly that. Taiwan claims to be the legit government of a single China, and Beijing claims the same (which includes Taiwan). The One China policy means both administrations recognise there is one China, but they agree to park the dispute over who is the legit government of One China.

Archived