December Reading 2016

Garett Hornwood

I finished Voices of the Rocks by Dr. Robert M. Schoch, an interesting read but primarily scientific through some theorizing on the rise and fall of ancient civilizations and societies.

I've started The Hitler Options: Alternate Decisions of WWII edited by Kenneth Macksey, who also contributed one of the 10 scenarios.

4 hours ago, Triskan said:

I am now about 150 pages into TH White's Once and Future King for the first time and I am really not liking it too much but feel obligated to soldier on.

I felt the same thing when I read it as well soldiering through it..

Finished off Notes from Underground. It's the first Dostoyevsky I've ever read, and I loved it. It actually felt empowering to encounter a literary character far more screwed up than I could ever be (I'm sure the narrator would analyse that at some length).

Completed reads for December:

• Collected Ghost Stories, by M.R. James
  • Flashman on the March, by George MacDonald Fraser
  • Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan, by Morgan Robertson
  • A Song for Arbonne, by Guy Gavriel Kay
  • The Augur's Gambit, by Stephen Donaldson
  • The Woodcarver and Death, by Hagar Olsson
  • People in the Summer Night, by Frans Eemil Sillanpää
  • Notes from Underground, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Next up is another Dostoyevksy, The Double.

Notes from the Underground is fairly extreme, even for Dostoevsky (I think I have read the Doppelgaenger as well, but I am not sure, looking at the wiki summary it looks vaguely familiar but I am still uncertain and might be confusing it with Gogol's "Diary of a madman").

His "big five" are not of the kind one can read 100 a year of (or if you do this, I'll actually be impressed) but except for "The Adolescent" they are among the greatest books I ever read. Admittedly, I have not read all of the shorter ones (I really should read them, have several on my shelves but for some reason...) but of them I'd recommend "The Gambler" also very highly although it lacks the political/philosophical depth of some of the others.

19 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I can usually get 70ish books  a year down, but my god, back in HS i used to go through 6-7 a week. Ahhhhh youth.

I was in the 120 range for a while.  Changed jobs and now I am around 60.  I must have read at work quite a bit in my last job.  :leaving:

Starting Benjamin Ashwood by AC Cobble, after finishing The Wolf of the North by Duncan Hamilton (pretty good) and Echoes of Atlantis by David S. Brody (also good and the fifth book of a series that can be ready independent of each other if one so chooses).

I have to say, Kindle Unlimited has far surpassed what I was expecting from it.

7 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

I have to say, Kindle Unlimited has far surpassed what I was expecting from it.

I keep thinking about it but the titles on offer don't really appeal to me. I spend a fair bit on kindle books each month so I'm in the market for this sort of thing but the fact that only certain titles are available makes it pointless for me. 

Been a while since I posted again.  Yeah, I'm lazy.  In reading order:

The Bear and the Nightingale, Katherine Arden.  A pretty good debut novel with its own take on Russian fairy tales.

Black Panther, Volume 1, Ta-Nehisi Coates.  Not perfect, but quite enjoyable.  Definitely interested in reading more.

Super Extra Grande, Yoss.  A short comic science fiction story by a Cuban author.  Not laughing-out-loud funny, but it certainly had me turning the pages.

Arkwright, Allen Steele.  Decent novel seriously considering how to colonize a nearby star system. I found a few things a bit dubious and too much time is spent on Earth.  Frankly, this felt rather lackluster compared to Steele's previous works, especially Coyote

Last night I finished The Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. Eliot which contained the first three published volumes of Eliot's career.  This is a book I'm going to have to re-read over and over again in the coming years to fully appreciate.

Earlier today I finished my last book of 2016, The Hitler Options: Alternate Decisions of WWII edited by Kenneth Macksey.  Ten scenarios were features, 8 of which focused primarily from the perspective of the Nazis while the other two were from the point-of-view of the Western Allies.

See everyone next year...

15 hours ago, Isis said:

I keep thinking about it but the titles on offer don't really appeal to me. I spend a fair bit on kindle books each month so I'm in the market for this sort of thing but the fact that only certain titles are available makes it pointless for me. 

I guess it depends on what you like to read, it's been great for sci-fi/fantasy imo so far. I believe you can try it out for a month for free so that may be worth exploring. Granted, you aren't getting the big name series or authors, but it gives you a chance to uncover some books that you might not otherwise have given a shot. I've been pleased with every book I've tried so far.

December was an excellent month of reading for me.

1) Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves 

2) Sword Song by Bernard Cornwell

3) Babylon's Ashes by James SA Corey

4) Dead Water by Ann Cleeves 

5) Thin Air by Ann Cleeves 

6) The Guards by Ken Bruen

I was most surprised by The Guards. I really did not expect anything of it, but it had a certain charm and excellently potrayed it's protagonist. The setting was basically non-existent, but for an alcoholic that seems to make sense to me.

Blue Lightning was my favourite of Ann Cleeves' Shetland mysteries. Sure, they are a bit formulaic, but she knows how to set a story and in Blue Lightning, the murders on lonely Fair Isle worked perfectly.

Technically January reading now, but I have now finished The Shepherd's Crown, by Terry Pratchett. Thus ends Discworld, after forty-one books. 

I have mixed feelings about this one:

I never thought Pratchett would kill off one of the Big Three, but he did it. R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax: your passing felt strangely appropriate for the final Discworld book.

On the other hand, while the book never slips into the abyss of Snuff or Raising Steam, I do feel it was living off past glories a bit - and those glories have faded. The Elves no longer feel like a meaningful threat, for example. Lords and Ladies does it much better.

Archived