The Great Route 66 Roadtrip

Whitestripe

OK board, it's time for your help.  I'm taking the kids west this summer. Here's the details:

1) It's just me and the skunklings. Papa Skunk is unable to go due to previous engagements, but we're cool with it.

2) I'm thinking two weeks in length.

3) The two major destinations are Las Vegas (my parents) and San Francisco (my sister) but I am up for anything in between

4) Thinking of flying to Vegas, renting a car and then flying out of SFO.

5) Possible side destinations are Grand Canyon, Monterey, (aquarium!) Santa Barbara, Hoover Dam

6) I've got the Vegas and SF parts down, but could use some suggestions on the in between. I've never done the in between part as a family.

Go plan my trip! The trip will be in late June or early July. I know it is hot in the desert in the summer.

The Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Sequoia are all fantastic. The only problem with all three are the damn crowds in the summer.  There are a number of possibilities for in between since California is loaded with sites on your route. However, the Grand Canyon requires a decent drive east of Vegas. Well worth it, imo. I suppose much of your trip depends on the interests of your children. If they hate nature, disregard everything I have said :) Hoover Dam was ok. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but if I remember correctly, it wouldn't take you out of your way.

I've been to the Hoover Dam and thought it was cool. My son has decided he wants to be an engineer so I would like to take him. And no, it won't take me out of my way since my parents live on Lake Meade, which is created by the dam. The Grand Canyon is 4 hours from them. That isn't too bad, half a day. 

Some nature is good, but it can't be all national parks. I'm hoping for some good ranger talks. 

Well if you'll be right on Lake Meade and your son is interested in engineering, visiting the Hoover Dam goes without saying.

Agree with the drive to Grand Canyon. Well worth it.

I only mentioned the parks since they are all more or less in between SF and LV and all beautiful, but understand your point about diversity when it comes to attractions.

I favor Zion Park over the Grand Canyon. 

If your kids enjoy swimming theres an interesting place below the dam along Lake Mohave that is full of sandy beach coves, a rare and great treat for Nevada. To access that area just turn left at Searchlight (Harry Reids hometown) and the road ends at a neat marina with boat rentals, motel, diner and the best sand outside of a Cali beach. The place is called Cottonwood Cove Resort and Marina.

As for non outdoorsey stuff the Aria at City Center on the Vegas strip is nice and your within walking distance of dozens of attractions from there.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've been to Zion (pre-kids) and thought it was just great. I was considering Grand Canyon because of its proximity to my parents. I thought I could convince the grandparents to go with us, but my mother says she doesn't think they will, so we may think of Zion instead. Will have to find that beach in the desert. They would love that!

I may have to take the kids to the Strip just to blow their little minds. They've been but not at night and when they were much younger. 

Archived