The name's the same

Ormond

To start a thread on a lighter note, I just got this notice about the selection of a new President for my undergraduate Alma Mater, Duke University:

http://app.bronto.com/public/viewmessage/html/47/kngxsoduzb1dsm3utquj42s6ae78j

There is no way someone my age can hear or see "Vincent Price" and not immediately have a picture of a certain deceased film actor active in horror movies pop into our heads. I suppose the living Mr. Price has an advantage in some ways by having a name that's so memorable -- but he also must have had days where silly jokes about it have become very tiresome. I certainly wish him well as Duke's new President.

Do any of you have any anecdotes about friends and acquaintance whose name is the same as that of a famous person?

Well, Michael Jordan teaches jazz at a local high school and frequently buys tickets from me for his students to attend jazz concerts.

Walter Cronkite was a student here. He turned out to be Walter Conkite IV, named after this grandfather, yes, I asked! Turns out that Walt wrote a book about his grandfather with his history professor here. (and I bought Isserman's house a few years ago) 

We had a waiter that worked for us named Kevin Dillon.

I remember in junior high, during home ec we sat at assigned tables that were 4 students each. One boy at my table was always trying to get a date with this one girl and she clearly wasn't interested. She kept saying she had a boyfriend that went to a different school. He asked her what was her boyfriend's name and when she gave it, I thought it sounded like I heard that name before. It was Freddy Krueger.

At that point I had only seen one of the Elm Street movies and still kind of avoided most horror movies.

John Connor is leading the resistance as a partner at a small law firm where I retained services.  Though, judging from the giggle and the furtive shushing I got from my lawyer at the slogan suggestion of "Come with me if you want to sue!", Terminator references are neither rare or appreciated.

Apparently all of my HS friends from the year behind me were friends with a guy who transferred in after I graduated, so for years now I've been getting FB prompts asking if I know Elliot Gould. 

I've never met him, but in another of our office's companies we apparently have a Bart Simpson. I guess if he's over 30 years old then it would have seemed like a reasonable name at the time he was born.

A few years ago on another forum I posted to there was a Daniel Radcliffe who said that starting in about 2001 he used to get lots of e-mails  from confused teenage girls because his e-mail address was his name at one of the big e-mail services.

Growing up I worked in a mom and pop store where we knew 90% of the folks who came in by name.  A few had musical names.  Joe Walsh and Richard Thompson were both customers, but unfortunately they were not the guitarists.

My favorite was a sweet older lady named Alice Cooper.  Imagine that. You're rolling along in life as Alice Cooper when some shock rocker decides he's going to make that name world renown. I never had the guts to ask her about her namesake legend, but I think she would have been pretty cool about it.

I used to send faulty parts back to a Mr Ramsey.    The company he worked for was located in Dread Manor on Bolton Way.

I'm not going to tell you the rest of the address but that always made me giggle.  Unfortunately he left that company a few years ago.

Archived