Video Games: Fantasy's Final '16

The Anti-Targ

New thread time I guess.

Some pretty sweet, but not Steam sweet, deals on PS Store. I just got RotTR for half price. And there are some good 2 for 1 deals as well. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, because it might be rather indulgent, but I'm thinking of picking up 'This War of Mine: the Little Ones' and TLOU remastered as a 2 for 1. TLOU is the indulgent bit since I have it for PS3 already. I probably should get two games I don't own rather than use the 2 for 1 excuse to get a game I already own for "free". Also, opinions on 'This War of Mine: the Little Ones'?

What to do?

I finished Journey today. A nice game, glad I played it. Probably won't play it through a second time. I got the trophy for playing a majority of the game with a companion. But I swear the companion I played with today was for less than half the game. So does that mean the companion I met a week ago when I started playing the game was the same person? I did play it at about the same time of day and the same day of the week. Probably the correct explanation is that I actually did play more than 50% of the game today. It just didn't feel like it.

To piggyback off of ab at the end of the last thread, we have an announcement and trailer for TLoU Part 2.

Awesome Sauce

I thought they would go with new characters for a sequel, but I'm not disappointed in the slightest that we're staying with Joel and Ellie. They look a little older. I'd say 4-5 years older, perhaps.  I'm totally ok with this as they were such a fun duo to grow with in the first installment.

3 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

To piggyback off of ab at the end of the last thread, we have an announcement and trailer for TLoU Part 2.

Awesome Sauce

I thought they would go with new characters for a sequel, but I'm not disappointed in the slightest that we're staying with Joel and Ellie. They look a little older. I'd say 4-5 years older, perhaps.  I'm totally ok with this as they were such a fun duo to grow with in the first installment.

yessssssssssssssssssssssssss

Definitely badass.

The linked Kotaku article says Ellie will be the main playable character in this one.  

I do wonder how they will handle the story of the first game for newcomers to the series.  Seems a high entry threshold.

10 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

For Mass Effect? It's funny you say that cause the first thing I said to myself when watching that trailer was how Ryder (or Rider? You know what I mean) looked like a TellTale character.

Yeah, her face looked like something from a surrealistic nightmare. And the black lady looked like someone had tried to do one of those 'here's what they may look like now' computer age advances on a baby. 

8 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Awesome Sauce

https://66.media.tumblr.com/29011c5c2a453afd6c685e741030f5fa/tumblr_mxgshsuJW71qi6g0yo1_400.gif

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Definitely badass.

The linked Kotaku article says Ellie will be the main playable character in this one.  

I do wonder how they will handle the story of the first game for newcomers to the series.  Seems a high entry threshold.

I don't think this will be a problem. Both games will be available on PS4.

So what we do know about LoU2 2 is that Ellie is 19, the main focus as Rhom said, she's tatted, and Joel did indeed teach her how to pick away at that 6 string.  I also read that 2 contrasts from 1 in the sense that 1 was a story told about love, and 2 will be a story centered on hate.  I have the utmost faith that this game will be brilliant.

3 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah, her face looked like something from a surrealistic nightmare. And the black lady looked like someone had tried to do one of those 'here's what they may look like now' computer age advances on a baby. 

Lol that's a fair comparison. I'm genuinely disturbed by Ryder's appearance. I can't believe a group of devs looked at that and ok'd it.

6 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

So what we do know about LoU2 2 is that Ellie is 19, the main focus as Rhom said, she's tatted, and Joel did indeed teach her how to pick away at that 6 string.  I also read that 2 contrasts from 1 in the sense that 1 was a story told about love, and 2 will be a story centered on hate.  I have the utmost faith that this game will be brilliant.

Lol that's a fair comparison. I'm genuinely disturbed by Ryder's appearance. I can't believe a group of devs looked at that and ok'd it.

Who cares about that? Did Joel teach her how to pick at shiv doors?

I guess spoilers (from TLOU1) are needed in case some crazy people who have PS3/4 haven't played this yet.

Spoiler

I assume her revenge quest is because Joel and Ellie went and settled down in Tommy's community at the end of the first game, Tommy has a kid, Ellie helps raise the kid for 4 years, and then the community gets raided and massacred, including Tommy and his family while Joel and Ellie are out hunting/clearing out clickers. Now Ellie is on the war path.

Or it'll be something about the fireflies. I don't think Ellie will know she's still the only hope for a cure. But maybe the Fireflies track her down and try to take her. I think I remember Naughty Dog people saying her being the only hope for a cure wouldn't be revisited. But still, they also said they wouldn't make a Joel+Ellie game again.

It might be better if the game is still tied to her immunity and chance for a cure, as that can set up an ending that flips Ellie's lid, after she's gone on a relentless killing spree.

Anyway, very excited for this.

AND Chloe's Uncharted back story. Probably set before Chloe meets Nate? Maybe leading up to when Chloe meets Nate? I read some Youtube comments saying this is a stand alone DLC for Uncharted 4.So a stand alone, but short, game? Is this confirmed. I would like this to be an actual full 8-10 hr game, but a $20 4 hour DLC would be OK.

10 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The game's director said on twitter that they weren't done polishing the graphics and they wouldn't stop until "EA takes the game from us." He didn't describe how much more improvement he expected to see though.

But it is possible the faces will look better in 5 months.

9 hours ago, Pecan said:

I don't think this will be a problem. Both games will be available on PS4.

They will not be available, but most sequels at least try to let you be able to jump in and play without having to play the first.  Kind of limits your audience a bit.

Anything that focuses on Joel and Ellie will pretty much require that you play the first.

:dunno: 

53 minutes ago, Rhom said:

They will not be available, but most sequels at least try to let you be able to jump in and play without having to play the first.  Kind of limits your audience a bit.

Anything that focuses on Joel and Ellie will pretty much require that you play the first.

:dunno: 

I'm sure they'll figure out a way around it. IIRC, there's a lot of story-heavy series where the majority players didn't play the first, or even necessarily the second, game; like Mass Effect, Uncharted, The Witcher, etc.

So long as the plot is compelling, there's a solid jumping-in point for new players, and some quick explanation of what happened before, I think most players will catch on quick.

Same thing in other media, like movies, where sequels almost always are seen by a lot more people than the originals.

Yeah, I mean TLOU's story is pretty intricate in the details, but you don't need to know much more than the basics to dive in; here's a dude with baggage who's good with guns, here's his surrogate daughter protégé who's increasingly badass like him, together they have adventures in post-apocalyptic Americana.

Same with Andromeda, which is basically a fresh start for the series that does its absolute best not to reference the original trilogy.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Who cares about that? Did Joel teach her how to pick at shiv doors?.

I say that in jest, as a nod to some of the dialogue from the final act, my forum friend.

I would imagine that something along the lines of Tommy and his family being destroyed is somewhere in the ballpark of what happens to prompt this killing spree. That or perhaps Ellie has a close friend/girlfriend that gets abducted and killed. At the conclusion of lou1, I had no doubt in my mind that Ellie would follow Joel the rest of the way to the Dam. I know she was skeptical of his reasoning for leaving the hospital, but it seemed apparent that she would go to Tommie's dam and just accept the reality that she may never know the truth of what hapened when she was knocked out.

I picked up Shadow Warrior during Stems Black Friday sale and just started playing. It is silly and ridiculous but a lot of fun so far and the swordplay is great albeit weightless. Plus Wang is a lot of fun.

I also saw that GOG has started was must be their third sale in like a month. 

Well, I managed to fuck up my computer. There is some error in the motherboard, and the computer won't boot. I can't even access the bios or boot menu. It started with me getting a SSD and attempting to migrate Windows to it. While the drive itself was recognized, the cloned OS wasn't. But now, I can't even up boot with the old drive. I even tried re-setting the motherboard by pulling the battery, but no luck. 

I am fairly certain that the problem is older than me getting a new drive. Ever since I installed a new graphics card about a year, the booting up sequence had been extremely sluggish. I took it to Geek Squad, and they said that the bios must have been locked somehow. They recommend a new motherboard.

So recommendations please. What motherboard to get? Every other component works, so it would be a matter of taking everything out of the old one and installing in the new one, but there has to be compatibility. I have a i5-3570k processor, and I don't want to spend the money for a new one.

7 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm sure they'll figure out a way around it. IIRC, there's a lot of story-heavy series where the majority players didn't play the first, or even necessarily the second, game; like Mass Effect, Uncharted, The Witcher, etc.

So long as the plot is compelling, there's a solid jumping-in point for new players, and some quick explanation of what happened before, I think most players will catch on quick.

Same thing in other media, like movies, where sequels almost always are seen by a lot more people than the originals.

As a person who played TLOU, I don't want any time wasted on those events in TLOU2. However I'm more than happy to get some filler material for the 4 years in between the games.

My guess is also that Joel dies in this game. A TLOU3 could involve Ellie finding the love of a good woman. Though are gay relationships an indulgence that post apocalyptic societies can't really afford to accommodate? What with the need to procreate being some what more of an existential necessity than it is in a pre-apocalyptic setting. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Well, I managed to fuck up my computer. There is some error in the motherboard, and the computer won't boot. I can't even access the bios or boot menu. It started with me getting a SSD and attempting to migrate Windows to it. While the drive itself was recognized, the cloned OS wasn't. But now, I can't even up boot with the old drive. I even tried re-setting the motherboard by pulling the battery, but no luck. 

I am fairly certain that the problem is older than me getting a new drive. Ever since I installed a new graphics card about a year, the booting up sequence had been extremely sluggish. I took it to Geek Squad, and they said that the bios must have been locked somehow. They recommend a new motherboard.

So recommendations please. What motherboard to get? Every other component works, so it would be a matter of taking everything out of the old one and installing in the new one, but there has to be compatibility. I have a i5-3570k processor, and I don't want to spend the money for a new one.

Try going back to the old graphics card. My suspicion is one of three things (I know, not helpful) in order of most  to least likely: the power supply, the motherboard and then the CPU. I would try swapping to the old GPU first. if that works, it's almost certainly an issue with the power supply. 

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Try going back to the old graphics card. My suspicion is one of three things (I know, not helpful) in order of most  to least likely: the power supply, the motherboard and then the CPU. I would try swapping to the old GPU first. if that works, it's almost certainly an issue with the power supply. 

It should not be an issue with the power supply. I have 750W. Besides I got the new graphics card a year ago, and it worked fine, other than the slow PC startup. It's definitely the motherboard.

It shouldn't be, but symptoms sound a lot like it. 

And don't discount the CPU. I had very similar symptoms with a new install recently that I was sure was going to be MB and it turned out that the MB was fine, but the CPU was toast. 

Archived