Video Games: Fantasy's Final '16

The Anti-Targ

Jeez, Witcher 3 just doesn't end, does it? I'm 60 hours in and I don't think I'm anywhere close to the endgame yet (I'm just about finished with side quests in Skellige and am ready to resume the main quest there). Although, I'm not even sure what the endgame might be yet (presumably something about the Wild Hunt); there still hasn't been much of a central plot other than "Find Ciri." I'm just glad I was able to get back into the game after being away for six days for Thanksgiving. I have a longstanding habit that if I step away from a story-driven game for any amount of time, I have a huge of amount of trouble getting back into it again. It almost happened here too, after I was back a spent over a week ignoring the game and playing other stuff; but the other night I finally started again.

8 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

ETA:  Crap I just realized I'm going to have to buy a PS Plus subscription to play online, aren't I? :wacko:

Don't think of it as a toll for playing online, think of it as paying the price of a new release AAA game and getting a handful of games every month of the year for both your PS3 and PS4. And very decent discounts on new and recent release games.

I got Rocket League for "free" in 2015 because of PSN+, and that alone pretty much made the PSN+ toll worth paying. I actually almost never play online, so really I only have PSn+ for the "free" games.

As you have a 7-year old who is good at CoD. One actual completely free game, that you don't even need PSN+ to play online, is Smite. Mechanically a 7 year old who can do CoD can easily handle Smite. But tactically and strategically it's more complex. But the game is based on the mythological pantheons of Greece, Rome, Egypt, China, Japan, Norse, Hindu and Maya, and Celtic gods to be added soon. You can pay a one time payment and have access to all gods current and future. But if you don't want to pay a dime, then you can earn your way to buying gods individually just by playing. You start out with 5 default gods, and a rotating roster of another 5 gods so you always have at least 10 characters to choose from. But this weekend is the best opportunity to get into Smite because for this weekend only all gods are available for play, and you earn more for winning. Given it is 100% free to play there's nothing to lose in giving it a try.

7 hours ago, Fez said:

Jeez, Witcher 3 just doesn't end, does it? I'm 60 hours in and I don't think I'm anywhere close to the endgame yet (I'm just about finished with side quests in Skellige and am ready to resume the main quest there). Although, I'm not even sure what the endgame might be yet (presumably something about the Wild Hunt); there still hasn't been much of a central plot other than "Find Ciri." I'm just glad I was able to get back into the game after being away for six days for Thanksgiving. I have a longstanding habit that if I step away from a story-driven game for any amount of time, I have a huge of amount of trouble getting back into it again. It almost happened here too, after I was back a spent over a week ignoring the game and playing other stuff; but the other night I finally started again.

It actually wraps up quite quickly once you start running through the story missions on Skellige.

The most important thing though is have you met Trollololo on the Island outside of Oxenfurt?

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Don't think of it as a toll for playing online, think of it as paying the price of a new release AAA game and getting a handful of games every month of the year for both your PS3 and PS4. And very decent discounts on new and recent release games.

(snip)

Yeah I've come around on the idea... plus I know it's not free to run the online network, so I don't mind so much once I looked into it.  I'm just cheap thrifty. :) The free games are a bonus.  I don't really play a lot online over the long term either, but I go through spells of playing various games online.  7 year old plays a lot of Minecraft online with his friends though.  I'm probably going to get Rocket League for myself at some point.  If I'm ever able to wrap up Skyrim (good grief I'm at 60 hours and still not able to handle the final Alduin quest... I wish the levelling was a bit faster paced, but part of that was I'm apparently an idiot and thought I was getting XP for finishing quests, as opposed to using/honing the various skills I wanted to upgrade).  Then I have the Mass Effects to work through after that before I move on. 

Smite sounds cool... for free it can't hurt to put it on there.  Both the boys are sharp as tacks and pick up on things quickly when they can find the patience to stick with it, so even if they don't play these new titles a lot initially, they generally grow into them.  

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It actually wraps up quite quickly once you start running through the story missions on Skellige.

The most important thing though is have you met Trollololo on the Island outside of Oxenfurt?

That's good to hear. I've enjoyed my time with the game but I really would like to move on to something else. I just can't justify getting into another big game until I finish this one off though.

I have met Trollololo, great guy, he answered my questions and I left him to be a naval officer in peace. I think I've done just about all the side quests in the game (except for whatever ones are up at the Kaer Morn map); its the Witcher Contracts and the various ? locations on the map that I've almost completely ignored. I was doing the contracts in Velen, but I reached the point where my gear, level, and gold were all high enough that I didn't need them and I wanted to just get the plot going.

19 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Did your kids play Ni No Kuni on the PS3 by any chance? Because they just announced a sequel to that coming to PS4 next year. Something to look forward to potentially. 

That game has my full recommendation. It is fun, beautiful, and utterly moving but then again I'd expect nothing less from the likes of Studio Ghibli.

59 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Smite sounds cool... for free it can't hurt to put it on there.  Both the boys are sharp as tacks and pick up on things quickly when they can find the patience to stick with it, so even if they don't play these new titles a lot initially, they generally grow into them.  

Oh, a warning. Smite is a MOBA, which is not to everyone's taste. But unlike the MOBAs most people know about, Smite is a "third person shooter" style MOBA, so has more familiarity to the gameplay for people who are into shooters and action games. And there's Paragon of course, which is mechanically the same as Smite, but is sci-fi. For people who like shooters it's probably best to start Smite with hunter gods in Smite as they do the high damage ranged attacks.

44 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Why does every JRPG need a fishing mini game?

I had an hour free this morning and spent it fishing!!! :lol: 

Can't stand it but I feel obligated to do it just to level up Noc's "skill" and main contribution to the group.

I'm about 11 hours in and I'm digging the game. Not the most enticing thing I've ever played, but enjoying it nonetheless. I've mostly been grinding away at the main questline since the side quests are tedious and bland.

51 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Can't stand it but I feel obligated to do it just to level up Noc's "skill" and main contribution to the group.

I'm about 11 hours in and I'm digging the game. Not the most enticing thing I've ever played, but enjoying it nonetheless. I've mostly been grinding away at the main questline since the side quests are tedious and bland.

Nearly 30 years of JRPGs has ingrained in me that I need to do the sidequests if I don't want to be under leveled! :lol: 

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun has picked up some excellent reviews. You can get a free demo on Steam.

It's a team stealth game with a heavy focus on concealment, sightlines and pulling off impossible infiltration missions with several characters with unique skills and personalities. It's heavily inspired by the likes of Desperadoes and the two Commandos games from the early 2000s. I'm going to check out the free demo.

NiNoKuni is an amazing, adorable game. The story is beautiful and the game play is fun, although you do need to grind. For some reason I named the first Familiar 'Mr. Pants', and I still get warm feelings when I think of him. Definitely highly recommended!

I am still absolutely obsessed with Overwatch. I got the platinum trophy and am still playing almost every evening. I'm super impressed with Blizzards constant updates/events etc. and am looking forward to the Holiday Event. I do have to say I play very little competitive, because I sometimes have trouble accepting that my worth as a human being is not directly tied to my SR.

Also, wanted to mention that this Humble Bundle (for $30) looks really great, and all proceeds go to charity. I've been playing some Psychonauts again and am really looking forward to playing Kholat. New games are revealed each day.

19 hours ago, Rhom said:

Nearly 30 years of JRPGs has ingrained in me that I need to do the sidequests if I don't want to be under leveled! :lol: 

That's a good point. I remember playing Lost Odyssey and I got all the way to the 4th disc and just got obliterated by the first boss time and time again. It got to the point where I could only attribute that to not doing all the side quests I could've done.

Duly noted.

6 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

That's a good point. I remember playing Lost Odyssey and I got all the way to the 4th disc and just got obliterated by the first boss time and time again. It got to the point where I could only attribute that to not doing all the side quests I could've done.

Duly noted.

I do agree that they are tedious.  I still have yet to unlock the Chocobo for off road traveling... so it can be very long and boring runs.  But there's something in me that can't see a treasure/food/elemental area marked on the map without going to check it out!  :lol: Probably a recipe for burnout with this game though.  I want to go ahead and get back into the main game and move it along soon.

I still took a couple hours to work on my ME replay late last night though.  Getting ready to go to Virmire... trying to decide how much of a bitch I want to be.  Can I really put down Wrex?????  I don't think I can do it.  :stillsick: 

Randomly decided to hop into a ranked game in Overwatch and immediately ran into one of those guys spouting racial and homophobic slurs at his team and telling them to kill themselves. Guess the decency in the community would never last with a ranked mode. Somehow they seem to attract the absolute worst piles of human garbage. 

Back to random heroes I go. 

Shadow Tactics is pretty cool. Someone on a forum was saying that they knocked out a guard and left him unconscious only for him to start coming around. So he threw the body of another guard down from a higher level on top of the first guard, knocking him out (but also killing the second guard, because of the drop).

Some very cool emergent gameplay bits come out like that. I throw a rock at a donkey which annoyed it and it kicked a passing guard off a cliff.

Biggest complaint so far is that the ninja character only has one shuriken, and has to go retrieve it after every use. It's a one-hit ranged weapon guaranteed kill, so I get why they did it, but it's a bit illogical.

10 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Randomly decided to hop into a ranked game in Overwatch and immediately ran into one of those guys spouting racial and homophobic slurs at his team and telling them to kill themselves. Guess the decency in the community would never last with a ranked mode. Somehow they seem to attract the absolute worst piles of human garbage. 

Back to random heroes I go. 

If you get to high enough ranks in any game you'll find less of that toxic crap. Though you'll never get rid of all of it.

Archived