Video Games: Fantasy's Final '16

The Anti-Targ

4 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

How's mankind divided?  It's got shitty reviews on Steam complaining about its abrupt ending and overall length :(

Those reviews are pretty much bullshit. It's a larger and longer game than Human Revolution (I got 30 hours out of it compared to HR's 25, after two playthroughs). I'm not sure it's quite as good because the first game had a self-contained storyline and better secondary characters whilst Mankind Divided is the start of a trilogy, but the ending is reasonably decent (the storyline begun at the start of the game ends at the end, but some loose ends are left for the sequel to pick up).

Also Mankind Divided has no boss fights (apart from the main bad guy, but he can be defeated in any number of ways), more focus on stealth and better worldbuilding, so it's probably a bit truer to the spirt of the Deus Ex universe and setting. It also starts dovetailing with the core storyline of the series (which HR only nodded at) more effectively.

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

I do agree that they are tedious.  I still have yet to unlock the Chocobo for off road traveling... so it can be very long and boring runs.  But there's something in me that can't see a treasure/food/elemental area marked on the map without going to check it out!  :lol: Probably a recipe for burnout with this game though.  I want to go ahead and get back into the main game and move it along soon.

I still took a couple hours to work on my ME replay late last night though.  Getting ready to go to Virmire... trying to decide how much of a bitch I want to be.  Can I really put down Wrex?????  I don't think I can do it.  :stillsick: 

Yeah that's the issue I have with these kind of games. I see something on the radar and my curiosity is sparked. I don't want to ignore something and regret it later on, yet I dread the monotony of it.

In regards to Wrex, I typically kept him in my lineup.  Garrus is the character that I could never part with. His sage counsel and dry wit was enticing.

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Ok so once again on Steam the Most Helpful Reviews for dishonored 2 are  all thumbs down-not recommended. 

Wtf is wrong with those people? Every major media outlet has given it and deus ex MK great reviews...

Although most major complaints seem to be about the pc port. 

The PC version of the game - and 100% of the Steam reviews will obviously be about the PC version - was completely borked. It's slightly less borked but still well below par at the moment.

There's some more patches to come, but at the moment it's questionable if the game is going to be fully patched up and fixed, or if they're just going to leave it at least partially screwed (like Arkham Knight).

Shadow Tactics is legitimately excellent. Used a flask of sake to draw over a couple of dumb-arse guards, then my courtesan-assassin used sneezing powder to distract a lookout in a tower and my samurai cut down the two guards, picked up both corpses and hurled them off a cliff and then everyone managed to take cover before the tower guard recovered. Then he spotted the missing guards, came racing down to take a look and my assassin stabbed him through the ear with a poisoned hairpin.

This very rarely happens these days but it's brilliant when they do: a game comes out of absolutely nowhere and ends up being possibly the best thing released this year (okay, that's probably going a bit far, but easily Top 5).

The Last of Us Part 2 possibly slated for 2018? Seems about right and pretty logical to me that a 2018 release date is planned. Whether it will be achieved or not is the question. But from the panel interview at PSX we saw footage of Ashley Johnson doing facial mo-cap stuff. So clearly they have a script done, and have at least started work on the mo-cap stuff and probably most of the in-game dialogue. The story will drive most of the set pieces of game play, so those have probably all been worked out too. Obviously the software for the cut scenes is done, I also assume they have an engine for the gameplay software sorted out too. So it certainly seems like they are well along the track on many elements in order to get the game out in 2018.

16 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Ok so once again on Steam the Most Helpful Reviews for dishonored 2 are  all thumbs down-not recommended. 

Wtf is wrong with those people? Every major media outlet has given it and deus ex MK great reviews...

Although most major complaints seem to be about the pc port. 

Yeah, the PC port is hosed as hell. 

I also thought DX:MD was great. It wasn't particularly different from DXHR, but it was more better of everything. One mission kind of was dull as shit, but two others were awesome - including this one side mission that I still want them to make a whole game about. 

A video game writer agrees to come up with fictional games on Twitter. It all gets a bit out of hand.

35) Shadow Cabinet: VR horror title where you play as Jeremy Corbyn, extending a hesitant arm into a mahogany cabinet full of swirling void

55) LEGENDS: squad-based FPS where you command six young recruitment consultants towards endgame on a night out in Basildon. Seas of vomit.

61) Wrestlemania: the Text Adventure

To the North is a GOLDBERG
To the East is a STEEL CHAIR
To the South is a SEA OF HUMANITY

91) Statham: Isolation - you are trapped on an abandoned space station with Jason Statham.

150) Noah's Nightmare: survival horror set aboard the Ark - it's been 80 days, and the waters are yet to recede. You have difficult choices.

Would legitimately play all of these.

I think I'm finally in the endgame of the Witcher 3 (though I have no idea how long it will go, probably somehow another 5-10 hours minimum). I'm several hours into the Kaer Morhan plotline, I've already come back from the Isle of Mists and ally-gathering (which took no time at all since I already did all those side quests), and this is all right up there with the Bloody Baron storyline as my favorite part of the game.

I think the game is far and away at its best when Geralt spends an extended period of time with the same characters, especially when its characters that he has a long history with (the Baron is almost the only exception to this). The problem is, Geralt has spent the vast majority of the game on one-off or short-sequence quest chains with characters who he never met before and/or never sees again. Almost all those quests are very well written, but there's so much of it it just becomes an unfocused blur. And I've been playing over the course of a month and a half now; I can't imagine how much worse it'd be if I went faster. I also skipped all Witcher contracts after Velen and all ?s after White Orchard; which I think is a necessity. 

The game's got the same problem as Dragon Age: Inquisition, of obscuring what's important and good about the game behind a mountain of optional content. The optional content is better written here, but there's just too much.

On the plus side, when Geralt is with characters he knows, whether on the main quest or their side stories, the game really is great. Having a game where all the characters in scenes are well-established adults is just so refreshing; even more so with the fact that they all have such long histories with Geralt and with each other. And although Geralt is much less grating throughout the game than he was in Witcher 2, he only really shines when he's with characters who have emotions other than awe, fear, hatred, or dismissiveness towards him. 

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I hate that I hate FP perspective, because it means I bypass a lot of great games that I am sure I would otherwise enjoy if it wasn't for FP perspective.

I'm the exact opposite... I have a really hard time with games that are only 3P perspective.  

"If Noah had the benefit of foresight on his ship, he coulda snatched two unicorns and left behind the motherfucking pigs."

Statham: Isolation sounds like the scariest game of all time. 

Last night I was playing ladder on Hearthstone, swapping between a Reno Shadow Priest deck (which is amazingly fun and is currently filling the void left in my heart by Control Warrior's decreasing viability) and a Jade Shaman which is cool but seems outclassed entirely by Jade Druid. I spent the entire damn day stuck at rank 19 winning one, losing one, winning one, losing one but finally broke out and into the elite tier of rank 18 by the time I went to bed :rolleyes:

I swear I somehow get worse at this game as time goes on. 

On 12/9/2016 at 8:59 PM, KiDisaster said:

Randomly decided to hop into a ranked game in Overwatch and immediately ran into one of those guys spouting racial and homophobic slurs at his team and telling them to kill themselves. Guess the decency in the community would never last with a ranked mode. Somehow they seem to attract the absolute worst piles of human garbage. 

Back to random heroes I go. 

That's really awful. I think I have been incredibly lucky because although I run into some salty people from time to time I haven't gotten racist slurs, or Trump chants or even sexism on voice chat (yet) though I have heard plenty of stories of those things. Really my biggest complaints are people having music/TV sounds on in the background and the fact that burping into the mic is all too common. I guess this is because playing on PS4 means push-to-talk is rare and hard to get to. 

My favorite voice interaction was with a young man while defending on Volskaya. He was very salty and cursing and calling everyone noobs, etc. When we lost the first point we had this exchange.

Young Man: LOOK AT THAT YOU LOST THE #&$%# POINT.

Me: No, WE lost the point.

Young Man: THATS WHAT I SAID YOU #&$%# IDIOT.

Me: No, you said YOU lost the point.

Approximately 15 seconds of silence.

Young Man (mumbling): I guess I did say 'you'. I guess we are a team. 

The rest of the match he was mostly quiet, except for calling out some enemy locations etc. We still lost, of course, but I was in complete chock for actually getting through to someone.

Mass Effect replay is coming to an end for the first game... but may be on hold for a bit.  Cruising through Virmire last night.  Get to the end of the Mako section and Captain Kirrahe is giving me a rundown on the problems they are facing... and the PS3 dies.  Same problem I had twice this year already and had repaired. 

So I give up.  Called PlayStation support and my model qualifies for an out of warranty replacement with one of the newer PS3's for $150.  Saves me about $40, I guess.  Luckily, the system has been uploading saves to the cloud ever since my last time getting it repaired.  Ah well.  So I'll have a new system in about a week.

Switched over last night and spent more time on FFXV.  Still can't really decide how I feel about the game honestly... Fairly certain I don't like the combat.  I'm beginning to think that I want to bump the combat down to Noob level and just play through for the visuals and experience.  Maybe things will get better as more aspects to combat open up... but its not the best part of the game IMHO that's for sure.   

55 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

The Overwatch Christmas event just went live and good lord I need Santa Torbjorn & Yeti Winston in my life. Elf Tracer is pretty cool too. Zarya gets the lamest skin as per usual :\ 

I was pretty disappointed in the Mei skin at first, but her ice block being a snow man is adorable. I want it! Zaryas is just completely unnecessary - it's the only character whose regular skin is the best. On the other hand, her new emote is great!

Glad I've been saving up in-game for this! Really like a bunch of the skins; Roadhog and McCree especially. 

Haven't heard much about the brawl yet. Hope it's fun!

14 minutes ago, Turinqui-Calima said:

I was pretty disappointed in the Mei skin at first, but her ice block being a snow man is adorable. I want it! Zaryas is just completely unnecessary - it's the only character whose regular skin is the best. On the other hand, her new emote is great!

Glad I've been saving up in-game for this! Really like a bunch of the skins; Roadhog and McCree especially. 

Haven't heard much about the brawl yet. Hope it's fun!

I haven't seen any of the new emotes or anything, just the skin pictures on Reddit. Zarya just seems to get no love in the skin department unfortunately. 

The brawl is an all Mei snowball fight apparently. Looking forward to trying it out when I get home from work. 

Bought Doom 2016 in the Steam sale, and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's an immensely carthatic game, but a fairly demanding one as well. I'm playing on Ultra-Violence, and I definitely feel like a glass cannon. Enemies aren't bullet spongy (thank goodness), but I also cannot take many hits. It's great.

Archived