List of Seasons

KimberBenton

Hello!

I was just checking something about when it was winter on the wiki. I found a list here: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Westeros

My problem is this. Arya was born 289 AC. According to the page that was in summer (288 - 299 AC). In Bran I, GoT it says: "It was the ninth year of summer, and the seventh of Bran's life."

Since the book starts at 298 AC, that would mean it was winter or at least spring in 289 AC. Or am I missing something here?

Greetings, Kimber

We know that Arya was born early in the year, and that it had been summer at her birth:

"The hard cruel times," her father said. "We tasted them on the Trident, child, and when Bran fell. You were born in the long summer, sweet one, you've never known anything else, but now the winter is truly coming. Remember the sigil of our House, Arya."

In early 299 AC, it is stated that the summer had lasted 10 years, 2 months, and 16 days. While we cannot know how early in the year this is stated, it would seem that the time that has passed since the turning of the year can be stated to have most likely been less than 2,5 months (this takes quite some math, but OK), placing the start of this summer in very, very late 288 AC.

So 288 AC was probably mostly filled with spring. Depending on how long the spring had lasted, winter might have ended in 288 AC as well.

12 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

We know that Arya was born early in the year, and that it had been summer at her birth:

"The hard cruel times," her father said. "We tasted them on the Trident, child, and when Bran fell. You were born in the long summer, sweet one, you've never known anything else, but now the winter is truly coming. Remember the sigil of our House, Arya."

In early 299 AC, it is stated that the summer had lasted 10 years, 2 months, and 16 days. While we cannot know how early in the year this is stated, it would seem that the time that has passed since the turning of the year can be stated to have most likely been less than 2,5 months (this takes quite some math, but OK), placing the start of this summer in very, very late 288 AC.

So 288 AC was probably mostly filled with spring. Depending on how long the spring had lasted, winter might have ended in 288 AC as well.

Ah, okay, that clears it up. Then maybe Bran got it wrong. He is only seven after all :) I was just very confused about him saying it was the 9th year of summer, since that would mean it is 8 years and some months, and Arya being 9 years and some months, that she would have been born in winter or at least spring. So that's a theory I can trash ;)

Archived