Fictional Books that can or have happened

shifter

Ender's Game had two aspects which I found particularly prescient. One is the idea of tablet computers, which all the students use in the story. The second is Ender's sister producing online content/thought leadership which engenders social and then political capital in the real world.

Another example that comes to mind is in Snow Crash, during the climax of the story. YT is fleeing the authorities and in a pretty tight spot when she puts out a general call for help across the distributed network of her Courier brethren. Looked at today, this is pretty clearly crowdsourcing via a request through social media. I wonder if this is the first appearance of crowdsourcing in a novel, a full 14 years before the term came into common usage.

I don't read a ton of sci-fi but I would guess that there are many examples of 'hard'-er sci-fi which happen to be pretty accurate about what has come to pass.

Stephen King's The Dead Zone. A populist, sociopathic politician runs for president.

Mark Twain predicted the internet in a short story called From the London Times of 1904

Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale is getting closer and closer to reality. So close, in fact, that's it's frightening. Huxley and Orwell weren't too far off, either. 

On 12/3/2016 at 3:41 PM, Darth Richard II said:

King's Insomnia has a guy who wants to crash a 747 into a skyscraper.

I haven't read Insomnia, but I saw the movie, and there wasn't anything like that in there.  Are you sure you aren't thinking of King's The Running Man?  Because in that one

Spoiler

The main character actually does crash a hijacked plane into a skyscraper for political reasons. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I haven't read Insomnia, but I saw the movie, and there wasn't anything like that in there.  Are you sure you aren't thinking of King's The Running Man?  Because in that one

Reveal hidden contents

The main character actually does crash a hijacked plane into a skyscraper for political reasons. 

Uh, there is no Insomnia movie.

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Uh, there is no Insomnia movie.

Well, there are actually several, but apparently none of them are based on Stephen King's book:D.  That's funny, I had thought that the 2002 film was King.  Although I guess I should have known something was up when it was set in Alaska rather than Maine. 

Archived