What's up with all the tongue biting?

Long time lurker

Most PoV characters are often described to have bitten their tongues upon falling, fighting or any other accident. Why so?

I have played football (aka soccer) in high school, practiced judo in the university, suffered a number of falls riding a bike, I was involved in a few fights during my life. I once fell from a tree when I was 12 and lost consciousness for like 30 seconds. I was involved in car accident. I have a scar in my chin because I was too drunk to walk and fell on the street, etc. and never, ever bit my tongue.

A few days ago I was eating an innocent bread with cheese and bit my tongue. It really hurt. It prompted me to register and ask this question ;-)

8 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Long time lurker

Most PoV characters are often described to have bitten their tongues upon falling, fighting or any other accident. Why so?

I have played football (aka soccer) in high school, practiced judo in the university, suffered a number of falls riding a bike, I was involved in a few fights during my life. I once fell from a tree when I was 12 and lost consciousness for like 30 seconds. I was involved in car accident. I have a scar in my chin because I was too drunk to walk and fell on the street, etc. and never, ever bit my tongue.

A few days ago I was eating an innocent bread with cheese and bit my tongue. It really hurt. It prompted me to register and ask this question ;-)

Welcome to the forum.

Yes I usually bite my tongue as well when I am eating. I can't remember that it ever happened while doing sport.

Doesn't mean that it can't happen though.

Maybe there is a tongue biting flu in Westeros. ;)

Archived