Leap

Pokemon Go: Generation 2

406 posts in this topic

To avoid confusion, as of me creating this thread Generation 2 has not been released. Which I'm happy about - at least for the meantime. Still have to fill that Original 151 Pokedex.

 

Quote

I've been wondering - were Dragonites nerfed? They seem to be a lot rarer now. Gyrados is super common, perhaps people have finally collected enough candy for them.

I think Dragonite actually received a small buff when the CP changes happened the other week. However, Cloyster got a massive buff at the same time, which makes it just about as good as Lapras at defeating Dragonite, as well as being hugely more common. So I guess people are less inclined to use Dragonite in gyms now that nearly everyone can get a strong counter to it. Gyarados also received a fairly substantial buff iirc, so that's probably why it's more common again - as well as the Grass types getting weaker.

As for actually getting Dragonite and Gyarados...I've seen 2 Dragonite in the wild, both ate a tonne of balls and then ran. They also stand unreasonably far back on the screen, so it's actually a challenge to even hit them, let alone time it well. I'm currently at 193/400 Magikarp candy, having caught 36 of them (and a fair few being hatches, obviously). I won't have a Gyarados any time soon :s

 

Anyway, I caught a Bulbasaur today thanks to the new tracker. Now I'm only 13 candy away from finally getting that Venusaur. And then another 30 candy away from it being a useful CP. But still...so close...

Edited by Leap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son currently has no other desires that the want to evolve a Pikachu. As there seems to be a nest in the building I work in here on campus, today I got enough candy to give him his wish...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't play often enough to get any good at the game.

Yesterday I went for a walk - and used all of my balls of all types. In half an hour I used more than fifty and got only 20 or so back from at least 15 stops. :( 

6 hours ago, Leap said:

I think Dragonite actually received a small buff when the CP changes happened the other week. However, Cloyster got a massive buff at the same time, which makes it just about as good as Lapras at defeating Dragonite, as well as being hugely more common. So I guess people are less inclined to use Dragonite in gyms now that nearly everyone can get a strong counter to it. Gyarados also received a fairly substantial buff iirc, so that's probably why it's more common again - as well as the Grass types getting weaker.

As if Grass wasn't already too lame as it is. :P I have a Scyther at just over CP2000 with really high IVs and it will barely survive an encounter with a CP1500 water type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scyther is actually Bug/Flying type - if it was Grass it probably wouldn't even have survived :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leap said:

Scyther is actually Bug/Flying type - if it was Grass it probably wouldn't even have survived :P 

Hahahahaha!

That also goes to show you how closely I follow the types. :P

I've also found that even though Jolteon looks amazing, for some reason it's completely useless. I've levelled up my Jolteon, Flareon and Vaporeon to more or less the same CP. All three of them, according to team Incest's Wise Leader, "Battle with the best of them!" Two of them are pretty handy fighters while Jolteon is flat out battling Magikarp.

Edited by Yukle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yukle said:

Hahahahaha!

That also goes to show you how closely I follow the types. :P

I've also found that even though Jolteon looks amazing, for some reason it's completely useless. I've levelled up my Jolteon, Flareon and Vaporeon to more or less the same CP. All three of them, according to team Incest's Wise Leader, "Battle with the best of them!" Two of them are pretty handy fighters while Jolteon is flat out battling Magikarp.

Team Incest? I never did trust that yellow team. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

My son currently has no other desires that the want to evolve a Pikachu. As there seems to be a nest in the building I work in here on campus, today I got enough candy to give him his wish...

Aww...  That's really cool.  My boys love pokemon-ing.  We stop at a church with 3 stops every day on the walk home from school.  They love catching things and when we evolve stuff too.

 

Quote

I only need 314 more to make my CP10 Magikarp rule all.

You're way up on me.  I need 364.  My Magicarp is way up at 100 CP though. ;)

I finally, finally got my first Ditto today, followed shortly thereafter by by second.  They are both utter junk.  

Yesterday I was close enough to get an eye on the gym I've been in for three weeks.  Seems I've moved down from 5th position to 10th.  I got it and two others this morning to scrape up to 150 coins for another incubator.  I got a Jynx from a 10K egg this morning.  I'm well on my way to lvl 26 at this point without having had much time to actually play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else finding that the latest updates have made Pokeballs utterly useless? Even CP100 things are tinted orange and break out. It took me five or six balls to get a Nidoran.

It has been so for a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Is anyone else finding that the latest updates have made Pokeballs utterly useless? Even CP100 things are tinted orange and break out. It took me five or six balls to get a Nidoran.

It has been so for a few days.

I've actually had an easier time recently catching things.  Have had a couple items tinted red and caught on first try with a regular ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...supposedly there's something happening in the next few days. There's been a leak of sorts regarding Starbucks collaborating with Niantic in a new Pokemon release on Dec 7th/8th. Although there's not been anything I'd consider hard evidence, let alone an official confirmation, it seems quite possible that there's going to be more Pokemon added to the game this week. Either that or there's a surprisingly committed number of individuals devoted to tricking people into believing there is. and going to great lengths to fabricate evidence. 

Here's hoping the Legendary Birds get released, rather than Generation 2. 

 

The fragile gym truce going on near me has been broken by a newcomer. Now the gym I was in has been levelled, and the adjacent gym has been taken by us, and was quickly filled by a few usernames I recognise but weren't in the gym I'm in because it wasn't a high enough level. Tomorrow if I get the opportunity I'll join the gym we just took, and maybe prestige them both a little bit - it seems there's actually around 6 players on my team in my local area, even if they are low level. It would be great to hold both of these gyms full time, but I can see this backfiring if/when the level 30+ Instinct players return...

Also kind of feel bad for the other players that got kicked out. Not that bad though, there's a dozen Mystic/Instinct gyms around here and rarely a Valor one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Is anyone else finding that the latest updates have made Pokeballs utterly useless? Even CP100 things are tinted orange and break out. It took me five or six balls to get a Nidoran.

It has been so for a few days.

I haven't noticed a spike just recently. I mostly stopped playing after the big update in the summer. I'd been playing since the actual launch (side-loaded it before it was out in the US) and I was well out in front of people then at level 21 or so. After the update I felt like they were just trying to nudge people towards buying more balls in-app by dropping the catch rates, so I stopped. I started playing again more casually during the Thanksgiving event, but I haven't noticed a spike since then, even though I did my first power session in months today.

It is interesting though how they've designed the levelling system though, because it has introduced a good soft cap - even now, lots of people have caught up with where I was/am, but there aren't too many who pulled way ahead - my 10 or so CP1800-1200s can still run down most gyms - though it might also be the reduced player base.

 

Also @Leap - seriously man, I evolved my Magikarp into a Gyarados like a week after launch. You're like the Ash of Pokemon GO players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

You're like the Ash of Pokemon GO players. 

You bitch. Take that back! 

At least I managed to get a Raichu. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ab aeterno said:

You're like the Ash of Pokemon GO players. 

Haha! Ouch. :P

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I've actually had an easier time recently catching things.  Have had a couple items tinted red and caught on first try with a regular ball.

Maybe I just smell. :( 

1 hour ago, Leap said:

So...supposedly there's something happening in the next few days. There's been a leak of sorts regarding Starbucks collaborating with Niantic in a new Pokemon release on Dec 7th/8th. Although there's not been anything I'd consider hard evidence, let alone an official confirmation, it seems quite possible that there's going to be more Pokemon added to the game this week. Either that or there's a surprisingly committed number of individuals devoted to tricking people into believing there is. and going to great lengths to fabricate evidence.

I'm willing to bet that the legendary birds will require either or both of:

1) An in-game purchase.

2) Visiting a specific location which requires an entrance fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to post here so that I can find the thread easier.

I'm like 300 candies short of a Gyarados as well, I know where I could find Magikarps but it's out of my route so I can't be bothered to.

I really hope they pull another double candy thing for christmas, I have like 40 Eevees I need to get rid of ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if Niantic starts making deals with companies whereby pokestops are added at each location after having forked over some cash.  With the new tracking system they could tie in special pokemons spawning in those locations.

Speaking of which, still waiting for the new tracker here in Greece.

Edited by dalThor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dalThor said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Niantic starts making deals with companies whereby pokestops are added at each location after having forked over some cash.  With the new tracking system they could tie in special pokemons spawning in those locations.

Speaking of which, still waiting for the new tracker here in Greece.

I think they've been doing that for a while - with McDonalds, and now Starbucks. Sounds like the second part could be next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bunch of new things:

- There's an update being rolled out. It allows you to mass transfer Pokemon, which should be amazing for Lucky Eggs (as well as just general ease of usage). 

- Official announcement on the 12th of December regarding the release of new Pokemon. 

- Niantic's partnering up with a company called Sprint in the US. This means more Pokestops and more gyms for you US players - 10,500 more, to be precise. Seems like these Pokestops will advertise Sprint's products/service, but are free to use for anyone of course. I imagine the same is true of Starbucks when that happens. 

14 hours ago, Yukle said:

 

1) An in-game purchase.

2) Visiting a specific location which requires an entrance fee.

I think there would be a fair amount of discontent amongst the userbase if this happened, to say the least, haha. I can't see it happening personally, unless the purchase can be made using Pokecoins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the mass transfer thing, can I like choose all my pidgeys and upgrade them or just discard them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Leap said:

I think there would be a fair amount of discontent amongst the userbase if this happened, to say the least, haha. I can't see it happening personally, unless the purchase can be made using Pokecoins. 

Annoying people is their business model. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mikael said:

I don't get the mass transfer thing, can I like choose all my pidgeys and upgrade them or just discard them? 

That's my bad for mentioning the lucky egg thing. I guess it's just transferring? I'm not sure yet as I haven't got the upgrade. 

 

And speaking of which, the new stuff from the upgrade that didn't get mentioned in the release notes is that 

- Shinies are probably going to be in the game soon and

- Generation 2 sound effects have been added. Assuming they don't have any new moves, Gen 2 could theoretically be released anytime soon. Probably not until after the 12th. 

- Genders for Pokemon (or rather, sexes I guess, since apparently this might be related to 

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

Annoying people is their business model. :P

Hell, it's the game model too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.